R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #526
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Just inspect your head button, if there is sign of detonation (sandblast) then add a .01mm shim, if it is perfectly smooth and shiny then leave it alone.

How soon after break-in should you inspect the head button for this condition? I just bought some Byron's 30% for this engine. Will this be a good match with the JLR?

Thanks!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #527
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

i havent inspected anything and prob wont, once you remove the factory torque from the engien head they never seem to work the same in my opinion
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #528
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran the motor again this weekend for the RC Pro Series race this past weekend and I could not be happier with the performance of this motor. Day 1 I ran into a few mechanical problems after a few hard tractions rolls, so it was tough getting the car around the track, but day 2 I got things back together and all I can say is wow. I know it was quik but other racers confirmed that this engine has some legs. And the run time is amazing. This engine really likes to be geared up. It has plenty of low end grunt to jump out of the corners. Thanks to Kamikaze for the hook up. Make sure you guys that are on the fence about getting this engine get one before the price jumps up.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #529
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNubee View Post
How soon after break-in should you inspect the head button for this condition? I just bought some Byron's 30% for this engine. Will this be a good match with the JLR?

Thanks!
Inspect it after a hard run, yes Byron 30% is a good match, just make sure you don't overheat the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreddlox View Post
I ran the motor again this weekend for the RC Pro Series race this past weekend and I could not be happier with the performance of this motor. Day 1 I ran into a few mechanical problems after a few hard tractions rolls, so it was tough getting the car around the track, but day 2 I got things back together and all I can say is wow. I know it was quik but other racers confirmed that this engine has some legs. And the run time is amazing. This engine really likes to be geared up. It has plenty of low end grunt to jump out of the corners. Thanks to Kamikaze for the hook up. Make sure you guys that are on the fence about getting this engine get one before the price jumps up.
Yo Kelley,
Good to hear that you are having fun with your motor.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #530
Tech Adept

Quote:
Inspect it after a hard run, yes Byron 30% is a good match, just make sure you don't overheat the motor.
What would an overheating temperature? What should the optimum running temp be on these engines?

TIA.....
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #531
Tech Champion

Quote:
What would an overheating temperature? What should the optimum running temp be on these engines?

TIA.....
300 F degrees and up
Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #532
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For those that have been asking, the best pipe to use for the JL is this one:http://kamikazercracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=P1-7355 You can't go wrong with this combo. Any of you guys from 301 looking for something extra for that straight, you need to check Sam and get one of these.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #533
Tech Adept

Quote:
300 F degrees and up
Wow Sam! That sounds awfully high. But I would guess you should know!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #534
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
300 F degrees and up
300 F degrees is way to hot... You'll blow your engine and everything inside....02

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #535
Tech Champion

Quote:
Wow Sam! That sounds awfully high. But I would guess you should know!
I did not clarify enough, I mean 300 F degree is the overheating temperature not optimum performance temp optimum will be anywhere from 200 F to 235 F with plenty of smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Quote:
What would an overheating temperature?
TIA.....
I was answering to this question (above). I do know that 300 is high, that is why it is called "overheating", nice remarks there Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_alan View Post
300 F degrees is way to hot... You'll blow your engine and everything inside....02

RC_Alan
by the way there are some motors there that do run 300 F degree and they don't blow up as you said. maybe other engine brands does but not the JL's.

Last edited by Team Kamikaze; 06-27-2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Brief explanation
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #536
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I did not clarify enough, I mean 300 F degree is the overheating temperature not optimum performance temp optimum will be anywhere from 200 F to 235 F with plenty of smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I was answering to this question (above). I do know that 300 is high, that is why it is called "overheating", nice remarks there Alan!

by the way there are some motors there that do run 300 F degree and they don't blow up as you said.
True, but for Joe racer... ie... the average Joe... They should try to stay clear of running any .12 motor near or past 300*... The issue is longivity and running at that temp for any length of time... That motor will not last long at all and that's a fact. $180.00-200.00 may not seem like alot to some, but to other's, is still a great sum of money to see there motor washed out because they ran there motors at 300* and being very pissed at there now lost investment. See you later at the shop... I need to pick up a few things for my 720...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #537
Tech Champion

Cool I will double the price for whatever you need just because of your comment j/k
Old 06-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #538
Tech Initiate

Default JL red dot

Hi,

I can agree team kamikaze. You can really run this engine up to 300 F. I had the best performance at 266 F (130 c) . Under this temp. was the engine fast but not competative with JP's or other expensive engines. We are running 1 hour finals and I had no problem with this high temp. The engine is over 2 galons and still in very good conditions. the picco engines loves high temperatures.
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #539
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taner View Post
Hi,

I can agree team kamikaze. You can really run this engine up to 300 F. I had the best performance at 266 F (130 c) . Under this temp. was the engine fast but not competative with JP's or other expensive engines. We are running 1 hour finals and I had no problem with this high temp. The engine is over 2 galons and still in very good conditions. the picco engines loves high temperatures.
What pipe combo are you running your JL with?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #540
Tech Initiate

Quote:
What pipe combo are you running your JL with?
I am runnig with skyline vr 12 plus and using %25 nitro (mugen fuel)
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote