R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #1681
Uga
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I am not trying to spam here, but if you need this manifold here in Europe, you could order it here:

http://www.scuderia-fun-and-drive.com/

Click on "Fun & Drive shop" and and then on "Auspuff"

It's the German IDM importer and they have it in stock.

Cheers.
Wow, the delivery from Germany to Latvia is almost 2 times more than from USA to Latvia, which is like.. umm, 5 times longer way..? And actually usually it takes around the same time for delivery +/-3 days. Thanks for the tip, but I think I will stick with the US shops at least for as long as the dollar starts rising again.
-=Awesomatix A800X=-
Racing in Latvia
Uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #1682
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any ideas on a leaking front bearing on my Red Dot EVO3? I noticed the front bearing was starting to leak after about the first quart of fuel. I have about 3/4 of a gallon through the motor now. I have changed the front bearing in the motor already and it has not stopped. I have read this thread from start to finish looking for some ideas. I sealed the carb where it enters the case. The carb is not leaking from any of the O-rings or where the metal is connected to the composite. My ehxuast manifold seal is in perfect working order. I have replaced the fuel tubing. I am 100% sure it is coming from the front bearing beacause it is slinging it all over the middle brace of my MTX-3. The leakage is pretty decent also. The bottom of the motors is also covered. I do not think the leaking is affecting the tune although I did have some issues with the tune this past weekend. Is there a fix to this problem or should I just junk the motor and replace it with a new one?

Thank you in advance!
G87z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #1683
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G87z View Post
Any ideas on a leaking front bearing on my Red Dot EVO3? I noticed the front bearing was starting to leak after about the first quart of fuel. I have about 3/4 of a gallon through the motor now. I have changed the front bearing in the motor already and it has not stopped. I have read this thread from start to finish looking for some ideas. I sealed the carb where it enters the case. The carb is not leaking from any of the O-rings or where the metal is connected to the composite. My ehxuast manifold seal is in perfect working order. I have replaced the fuel tubing. I am 100% sure it is coming from the front bearing beacause it is slinging it all over the middle brace of my MTX-3. The leakage is pretty decent also. The bottom of the motors is also covered. I do not think the leaking is affecting the tune although I did have some issues with the tune this past weekend. Is there a fix to this problem or should I just junk the motor and replace it with a new one?

Thank you in advance!
my motor is new, and all the jl's ive had befor this have done the same thing. i think it just has to do with wearing in because after a while it doesnt leak anymore
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #1684
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have 3 1/2 gallons thru mine. No leaks from anywhere. I guess I have been lucky.
I'm going to start breaking in my 2nd Red Dot tonight.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #1685
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G87z View Post

Thank you in advance!
I have said this in another post somewhere. The front bearing would not make a difference if there was a leak with the engine off or not. The .12 engines have a sealed bearing and the others do not. The engine when it runs spins the raceway fast enough to seal the engine with no leaks. So the only thing that happens is that when you use a fuel that has good lubrication it will tend to build up in the front there is no where for it to go. We use shielded bearings on all our team motors and there are no problems with them, Nor do the on road .21 engines come with sealed. These are really for keeping dirt out on on road situations. So if there is a tuning issue and the front and rear bearings are smooth then you need to look at the other parts of the engine because the front bearing leaking some oil out is not the cause of the problem.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #1686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower View Post
The engine when it runs spins the raceway fast enough to seal the engine with no leaks. So the only thing that happens is that when you use a fuel that has good lubrication it will tend to build up in the front there is no where for it to go.
Sorry to correct you, but statment above is not correct. It is not the way how sealing works on engines.
You need to do more homework to learn sealing techniques on nitro engines.

For the guy which looking for reason of leaking bearing-I would start from measuring clearance beatween main shaft body (12mm diameter) and mating area on cranckcase-clearance should be .03-.05mm, make sure both bearing are full coaxial position (by all meaning) and make sure that radial play on both bearings within manufacturer specs. To do all these measurments you will need really good tool (which is expencive), so may be my suggestions will not work, but these are the area where it should start to look for reason first.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #1687
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN View Post
Sorry to correct you, but statment above is not correct. It is not the way how sealing works on engines.
You need to do more homework to learn sealing techniques on nitro engines.

For the guy which looking for reason of leaking bearing-I would start from measuring clearance beatween main shaft body (12mm diameter) and mating area on cranckcase-clearance should be .03-.05mm, make sure both bearing are full coaxial position (by all meaning) and make sure that radial play on both bearings within manufacturer specs. To do all these measurments you will need really good tool (which is expencive), so may be my suggestions will not work, but these are the area where it should start to look for reason first.
Please do tell then how a shielded bearing that has no seal maintains crankcase vacuum without any leakage of air into the engine. And tell me how there is a leak between a inner race and the balls rotating at how many thousands of rpm? Oh and just for some more info the reason as I know this is how it is sealing is that I have spoken with the actual manufacture of bearings in fact a few of them as to confirm this years and years ago. I have done some work in the past with bearings. And if you are going to tell me that the clearance between the crankshaft and the crankcase is what is preventing this then you would have to mean that there would be less then .01mm clearance. The reason that this is happening then is why? And I am speaking of the front engine bearing leaking excess oil out. He is speaking between the inner and outer raceway not the bearing fit between the outer race of the bearing and the crankcase. Please let me know. I really do not like to even reply to these posts but I would like to hear how this is happening then. And you should truly not have to seal any part of the engine if the fits and clearances are correct that is what the o-rings are for.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #1688
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just suggested to do your homework and I am not a teacher.
Get the hydraulic dynamics book and find answer there. Then you will know how the sealing happened on systems like nitro engines.
I hope you had chance to talk to SKF or INA engineers, not sales rep.
Good luck!
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #1689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this is alot of talking regarding this matter. either change the bearings as part of the troubleshooting or dont. what are they 30$ each?

not even worth you guys time arguing.

my 2c
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #1690
Tech Regular

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #1691
Tech Regular

this is alot of talking regarding this matter. either change the bearings as part of the troubleshooting or dont. what are they 30$ each?

my 2c

I am with you like I said I am done with this. Still no answer. I am not getting into the dynamics of the engines crankcase pulses over a front bearing. I am done.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #1692
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why quit now? you have a point and you are right.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #1693
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Seems no one reads his signature... Could this be the 10%? or the 90%?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 AM   #1694
Tech Fanatic

haha i read it, i think that xspower is the person who is correct because he used actual terms and big words lol, plus he gave reasons for his answer and actually knows what he is talking about. the other guy i think is just a s***t stirrer plus his signiture makes him sus.

Just my opinion,
Mitchell
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #1695
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post

my 2c
I guess I kind of started a war here with my question. But in regard to changing the bearings, I have changed them out and still have the leaking in the front bearing. I have also swapped to a NOVA carb and there is no leaking present with it. I guess I will still hunt for the answer.
G87z is offline   Reply With Quote