R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #1636
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
do u have them?
Wrist pin clips? of course, How many do you need?
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #1637
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i will just get a couple next order, when i get some plugs etc.
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #1638
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81 View Post
yes, the service is great. let me know when you wanna start a Team Kamikaze II in VA VA!
Sam- I'll cover the MidWest for you. LMK how much volume I'd be responsible for... Nick A
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #1639
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
Sam- I'll cover the MidWest for you. LMK how much volume I'd be responsible for... Nick A
That will be cool, from West coast to Midwest to East Coast

You guys are Great!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #1640
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Just keep in mind that as the engine breaks in, it tends to run richer, so just lean out the LSN 2 to 3 hours from originally where it was and it should idle fine (4 1/2 to 4 3/4 out from close) and if you can use only PICCO P6TH glow plugs for more consistent tuning.

My LSN is 7 turns out from close in order to have stable idle.
When I lean the LSN and come into pit stop, the idle is high but not steady. The idle rpm goes up and down like something is wrong and after few seconds it drops to a very low idle and it stalls.
I use P6TC glow plug, 2607 pipe, 16% nitro fuel and .4mm head shims.
I checked for air leaks but everything is ok.
Any suggestions, or do you think 7 turns out from close on LSN is normal?
sllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #1641
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my buddy had a bad tank in his car, and also check hard for leaks, get the motor completely dry and then check for leaks, and try new fuel tubing.
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #1642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Also check the LSN O Rings, learnt that lesson

Jeremy Clarkson
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Mugenville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #1643
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllo View Post
My LSN is 7 turns out from close in order to have stable idle.
When I lean the LSN and come into pit stop, the idle is high but not steady. The idle rpm goes up and down like something is wrong and after few seconds it drops to a very low idle and it stalls.
I use P6TC glow plug, 2607 pipe, 16% nitro fuel and .4mm head shims.
I checked for air leaks but everything is ok.
Any suggestions, or do you think 7 turns out from close on LSN is normal?

Well, my troubles continue as well. I have a similar problem, the idle will stay very high after it is hot, usually it won't drop back down until I back out the idle screw a bit, then when it comes down, it goes very low and will likely stall. I have worked the LSN between 41/2 and 5 out. To keep it idling, I need to have the throttle slide open too far (2-3 mm), but that leads to the high idle, so I'm in no man's land. It also is not making power on the top end. HSN is just a hair above flush and as I try to lean it out, I hit a lean bog before it starts making power. I finally gave up and swapped the 12TZ back in and it ran like a top, so no problems with tank or lines.

If it is a leak, it will be a very small one and hard to find. Several guys at the track run Red Dots and they were stumped. Bad carb was the final thought. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Mitch
WatchOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #1644
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lean your low end and lower your idle. i think you have your settings backwards
Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #1645
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut View Post
Well, my troubles continue as well. I have a similar problem, the idle will stay very high after it is hot, usually it won't drop back down until I back out the idle screw a bit, then when it comes down, it goes very low and will likely stall. I have worked the LSN between 41/2 and 5 out. To keep it idling, I need to have the throttle slide open too far (2-3 mm), but that leads to the high idle, so I'm in no man's land. It also is not making power on the top end. HSN is just a hair above flush and as I try to lean it out, I hit a lean bog before it starts making power. I finally gave up and swapped the 12TZ back in and it ran like a top, so no problems with tank or lines.

If it is a leak, it will be a very small one and hard to find. Several guys at the track run Red Dots and they were stumped. Bad carb was the final thought. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Mitch

Turn the HSN to flush with the body of the assembly. Then turn the LSN so that it is just starting to show about 2 mm worth of "needle" in the housing past the outside of the control lever that is on the slide it self. Start the engine. Go ahead and get the HSN set properly with the power and then work with the LSN. You are backwards the engine when it hangs high and stays high with no drop is lean on the bottom. The trick here is that you have no power on top. That is telling me you are way to lean on the top also. So work with the top then the bottom. You should get back to where you need to be. If this fails then test the carb for leaks. But I would think you would see fuel leaking if it was leaking. The Picco engine has a small "sweet spot" for the top needle when you get there you will find that the smallest turn to the lean side will cause the engine to loose power and the bottom end to fall off as well. I think this is where you are at. The top needle to lean. If you need any other info feel free to PM. Hope it helps
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #1646
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower View Post
Turn the HSN to flush with the body of the assembly. Then turn the LSN so that it is just starting to show about 2 mm worth of "needle" in the housing past the outside of the control lever that is on the slide it self. Start the engine. Go ahead and get the HSN set properly with the power and then work with the LSN. You are backwards the engine when it hangs high and stays high with no drop is lean on the bottom. The trick here is that you have no power on top. That is telling me you are way to lean on the top also. So work with the top then the bottom. You should get back to where you need to be. If this fails then test the carb for leaks. But I would think you would see fuel leaking if it was leaking. The Picco engine has a small "sweet spot" for the top needle when you get there you will find that the smallest turn to the lean side will cause the engine to loose power and the bottom end to fall off as well. I think this is where you are at. The top needle to lean. If you need any other info feel free to PM. Hope it helps
XS is spot on. If this does not work for you, try changing the pipe. On a few occasions, I have seen guys chasing the tune on this engine When it was in fact the pipe that was causing the problem. What happens is the exhaust gasket tears and lodges in the pipe, blocking the flow and you could change needle settings all day without finding it. BTW, you will not be able to get the piece of gasket out without cutting the pipe. I have seen this a few times and we got the gasket out by cutting the pipe open.

Let's hope XS is righjt or you will need a new pipe
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #1647
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give the needle settings a try, but I'm not too hopeful because that's where I started. If the sweet spot on top is really that small, it is possible that I just missed it and then started thinking too much . This shouldn't be that hard. I'm not a pro, but this certainly isn't the first engine I have tuned. I'm just not getting the reactions I expect when I make the needle changes.

BTW, I know the pipe is good because I used it on my 12TZ and it was its usual rockin self. Anyway, got some things to try. I'll report back.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #1648
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll give the needle settings a try, but I'm not too hopeful because that's where I started. If the sweet spot on top is really that small, it is possible that I just missed it and then started thinking too much . This shouldn't be that hard. I'm not a pro, but this certainly isn't the first engine I have tuned. I'm just not getting the reactions I expect when I make the needle changes.

BTW, I know the pipe is good because I used it on my 12TZ and it was its usual rockin self. Anyway, got some things to try. I'll report back.
Did you check your carb setting?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #1649
Tech Fanatic

OK, did a little playing around and still no joy. I tried to richen the LSN to bring down the idle, but it just doesn't react as expected. If I try to set my idle screw for .5 to 1mm gap, it will just stall, no matter my LSN. I typically need to have about 2mm gap, maybe a little more to ensure that it doesn't die. I tried everything from 3 turns to 7 turns out. With that amount of idle gap, after a few hot laps, sometimes the idle will stay high. But it is inconsistent, sometimes it idles OK, sometimes it goes high, sometimes it goes low and dies. Seems sluggish on the bottom. Top end seems a little better but certainly not the monster that many others have reported. I'm able to get engine temps into the 220-230 range, but can't get higher because the performance is just not there.

I took the air filter off while running on the box to make sure the slide was operating normally and I noticed that there was a small amount of fuel splashing out of the carb throat. Don't know if that is normal because I never had to do that with my other engines . Didn't notice fuel on the exterior, but then I didn't look real hard either. The inconsistency is what is driving me nuts. Wish I had another carb that would fit, just to do a quick test. Not sure what to try next .
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #1650
Tech Initiate

sllo is offline   Reply With Quote