Wiki Posts
Search

Orion .12 CRF Wasp Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Orion .12 CRF Wasp Issue

Hello, I have a new Orion .12 CRF Wasp in an OFNA CD3. After breaking in the engine (Josh Cyrul's way), with about 3 tanks of fuel, and then running on the track for about another 6 tanks, I noticed that the top of the piston head has a small "ball like" dent. Is this supposed to be there? Has anyone had any experiences with this, or is there something wrong? I have not added any head shims from stock. I am running 30% O'Donnell fuel.

Please help! I want to run this weekend, but I don't want to make things worse, if there is actually a problem.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trumpster1
Hello, I have a new Orion .12 CRF Wasp in an OFNA CD3. After breaking in the engine (Josh Cyrul's way), with about 3 tanks of fuel, and then running on the track for about another 6 tanks, I noticed that the top of the piston head has a small "ball like" dent. Is this supposed to be there? Has anyone had any experiences with this, or is there something wrong? I have not added any head shims from stock. I am running 30% O'Donnell fuel.

Please help! I want to run this weekend, but I don't want to make things worse, if there is actually a problem.
The small 'ball like' dent is part of the piston design. Don't worry about it, it is supposed to be there. Go run it!

BK
Old 08-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

mx - thanks for the reassurance. I was really getting worried after spending that much money for the motor and then within a two weeks and a small amount of fuel, having the motor die.

Happy racing!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Its a beast!!

Old 08-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

The motor is a beast. I have to now gear it down for torque because it still is pulling for more speed at the end of the straight. That motor has so much power, it is scarey. Now, if I only could drive!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone who is running this motor:
What gearing are you using?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Youd have to ask someone with a cd3 that question as the information will be irrelevant with any other chassis.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default WASP

I have just ordered the WASP .12 to put in My NTC3, a new "project car". Also looking for what gears to run !!!! I was going to start with Stock, and see how she felt. Anyone have any other suggestions.

I hear she really is a BEAST !!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

I know that every chasis is going to be slightly different, but the number of teeth on the gears should be relatively equivalent. That is all I am really looking for. Just a general idea. You can see by my signature what gears I am running.

Chiblo - check my sig for my current gearing. The way it is set up now, it is pretty good in the infield, and it is constantly pulling all the way along the back straight. I want to gear it more for low end since that is where I lack normally in my driving skills, so maybe it will help. The motor will make up for the gearing on speed for the straight.

Later
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tires , belts , pulleys....nope. You should go into your cd3 thread and ask this question. Same for the NTC3 guy.

Simple thought here too, gear down some so you can rev this motor out. Thats about all you need to know.