R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Base line settings for a OS .12TR

I am putting a Os .12TR in a Traxxas Jato. I know it has a 10a rotating carb on it and i know they had an 11a slide carb for touring cars. I found a os 11g slide carb for a os.18cv on ebay and was wondering if it could work in the a's place. If so, what is a good baseline to tune it? I bought the os .12tr off ebay and its supposed to be broke in already, but will run a couple of rich tanks to be sure. Thank you for any info you can provide and i can do a link if you need to see it

Last edited by crazyjr; 07-07-2006 at 11:36 PM.
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 12tr

PDF for manual to large check OS website.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr
I am putting a Os .12TR in a Traxxas Jato. I know it has a 10a rotating carb on it and i know they had an 11a slide carb for touring cars. I found a os 11g slide carb for a os.18cv on ebay and was wondering if it could work in the a's place. If so, what is a good baseline to tune it? I bought the os .12tr off ebay and its supposed to be broke in already, but will run a couple of rich tanks to be sure. Thank you for any info you can provide and i can do a link if you need to see it
If I were you... I would leave the Traxxas TRX 2.5 motor in there... That motor puts out more power the the OS .12TR... And if you need to replace the piston and sleeve, it will only cost you about $40.00 if that... If you want a 60 mph Jato... Get the TRX 3.3 for free with there engine replacement plan... Contact Traxxas for details... Good luck...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 07-09-2006 at 01:26 AM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Thankyou for the replies, but i want to race off road and the 2.5 is too much for my track. besides if i run other tracks and they run ROAR or RC Pro rules i couldn't race it. I found the correct carb on tower's site, but i'm going to try something different and try a Traxxas carb, i had to cut off about 1/16 off the end but it fits great. Just need to find a good place to start, probably close to traxxas's starting setup.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

YOU GO RIGHT AHEAD AND RUN THE TR THOSE MOTORS PUT OUT ALOT OF POWER! AS FOR AS REBUILD THEY WONT COST MORE THAN 50 BUCKS.THE TR IS DISCONTINUED BUT THERE SHOULD BE PLENTY OF PARTS STILL AROUND FOR SOME TIME.IF YOU CAN'T FIND AN O.S. CARB THE TRAXXAS 2.5 CARB FITS PERFECT!
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Thank you once again for the replies. Man in the mugen, the traxxas carb is not a perfect fit, I had to cut off about 1/16 of an inch to seal the o-ring, but the diameter fits better than the os carb that was on it. Also, can you give me a relatively close setup to start it, I figured i'd start with 3 1/2 turns on the highend and 1 1/2 on the low end with O'donnells 20% standard fuel. Does that sound good? Or do you have a better setup. BTW the traxxas carb looks like a holley dominator on a V6 on that little engine.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

THOSE SETTINGS SOUND GOOD JUST TAKE YOUR TIME TO TUNE IT.GET THE HIGH SPEED NEEDLE TUNED FIRST,THEN THE LOW END,REMEMBER IT'S BETTER TO BE ON THE RICH SIDE!TAKE YOUR TIME A COUPLE OF TR RUN AT OUR TRACK ONROAD , MINES LIKES TO RUN AT ABOUT 250 DEG.ALLDAY!GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY.
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Thanks a lot Man in the mugen. Hope it runs as good as it looks
Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

.12 tr base setting are

top end : 2 1/2 turns open
low end : get it flush with the outside of the carby then close it 1 1/2 turns
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav_lova
.12 tr base setting are

top end : 2 1/2 turns open
low end : get it flush with the outside of the carby then close it 1 1/2 turns
Thanks Hav_lova, I'm using a traxxas carb so not sure if these will work, but will try it
Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr
Thanks Hav_lova, I'm using a traxxas carb so not sure if these will work, but will try it
Don't use those settings with the Traxxas carb... The Traxxas baseline settings are completely different and trying the OS settings on the Traxxas carb will have you feeling like this... You can go to the Traxxas web-site or forum page to get info you're looking for... Goodluck.

RC_Alan
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Go to this link below... It's straight from Traxxas and it's the baseline settings... It has great info, so you should read the entire article...

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...&cat=35&id=276

RC_Alan
Old 07-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Thank you RC_Alan for the link. I still have the manuals and dvd's for these motors and thanks for the info against os settings, i figured there were differences. Will probably start at traxxas settings and move where it needs me to. I can still get the correct carb if i need to, just want to try something different, besides the traxxas carb looks to flow better. Thanks for the info and will let you know what happens
Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #14
Tech Addict

I finally got it running today and its awsome, its still a little rich but you can see the power. I ended up running the Jato carb about 1/2turndown from traxxas settings on the highend and 1/8 down on the lowend. its still a little rich so i need to get it a little better tuned. Anyways, thank you all for the info you gave and advise you gave considering the unusual setup i tryed (OS .12 TR and a Traxxas Jato carb) I'm currently using a stock Revo pipe and am wondering what i should run for legality and good power.
Once again thank you for any advise you can give me.