R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Thomas i have to disagree with you here..

ive tried a few pipes with my rrr / tz combo and foune the mugen seiki efra 2501 pipe to work best overall.

the skyline pipe was next best but i sold this to try the novarossi efra fatboy pipe u talk of.
the novarossi pipe firstly does not seal too well on the tz engines and really efffects the engines run time. at our nsw state titles i couldnt not finish a 5min race and any leaner the engine would just bog.

last time i went out to moorebank using the same car setup but with mugen pipe i was finishing the 5 min race with just over a capful of fuel in the tank. the engine ran cooler and crazy power bottom end and top end.

it would shoot out of corners!

that was on my tz 3 with 5 port modified crankshaft. it also makes my mspeed tz come to life. i did not like the novarossi pipe/medium header.
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

im picking up 2 x tz speed engines tomorrow from rc hobbies
ill be using these in the aus titles

i dont really wanna use the new spec II
im sure it will be fast but i know the original spped is super fast!
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #183
Tech Regular

I placed an OS Speed Tuned Crank into my 5Port TZ expecting a performance increase, to my surprise the engine seemed not to be as powerful or hit as hi rpm's as it did before.

Why would this be? Should this not have provided a performance increase?

Your comments please.
V1-RRR-WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Yes, but I was not able to race it... of all the parts I have, I did not have any Spur gears... and the second gear is not compatable with the RRR... but First gear is... They kept on me about the gear mess, and I set by pinching the motor into the gears, and they taking 2 laps for it to wear in, to the prefect mess... My friends got me to try to set it before I took it out on the track.... oops....

My fault... I had to park the NT1, and it was faster... and go back to my trusty RRR...

While I was running it, I got about 7 to 7 1/2 mins. compared to the Skyline, which I get just at 5 mins out of it. And the motor ran 40 degrees cooler... with the OS pipe...
I have the Carlsen OS TZ. You think I'd also get better by going with this OS pipe? Any performance changes or are they about the same? I do notice my motor getting pretty crappy mileage...that even my 8th onroad beats! I'm guessing it's also around the 4-5min range as I always seem to gas up more than others. The engine has the 5.4mm black insert.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #185
Tech Regular

guys
anyone here tried ceramic bearing on this engine? I need to replace mine.. they're very bad, lots of play and leaky. its worth or not?
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #186
Tech Regular

i have the os 5 port and want to know how many shims should i be running under the head if i'm using 30% nitro, there is all ready one .2mm shim under their i guess that came from factory?
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #187
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is Josh Cyrul's break in procedure good for this engine?? Curious..
DaNNy671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I have the Carlsen OS TZ. You think I'd also get better by going with this OS pipe? Any performance changes or are they about the same? I do notice my motor getting pretty crappy mileage...that even my 8th onroad beats! I'm guessing it's also around the 4-5min range as I always seem to gas up more than others. The engine has the 5.4mm black insert.
I think the OS pipe will be better, I have notied a 40 degree temp change, cooler, which means I can lean the motor down and get more time on a tank of fuel. I'm getting 7 to 7.5 mins....

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosfan
i have the os 5 port and want to know how many shims should i be running under the head if i'm using 30% nitro, there is all ready one .2mm shim under their i guess that came from factory?

Here ya go...

1. Based on head clearance, choose your nitro %:
16% Nitro .36mm - .40mm
20% Nitro .40mm - .50mm
25% Nitro .50mm - .60mm
30% Nitro .60mm - .65mm

Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #190
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNNy671
Is Josh Cyrul's break in procedure good for this engine?? Curious..
Yes... I use it all the time.... But I would say it is more important to stay in the temp range of 200 to 220 while breaking in your motor.... it is not good to run it cooler or hotter during break in....

Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #191
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes... I use it all the time.... But I would say it is more important to stay in the temp range of 200 to 220 while breaking in your motor.... it is not good to run it cooler or hotter during break in....
Thanks for your advise bvoltz...

According to Josh Cyrul, he doesn't even monitor the temps of the engine he breaks in. Now I know he's a pro and has a ear and experience for this but I guess everyone has their ways of breaking in...Anyone else use Josh's break in procedure on this engine? If so, do you just follow it to the "T" or do you all modify it to your liking and experience with this engine...

Thanks in advance
DaNNy671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Thanks Bvoltz I'll give it a try.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #193
Tech Regular

Quote:
Here ya go...

1. Based on head clearance, choose your nitro %:
16% Nitro .36mm - .40mm
20% Nitro .40mm - .50mm
25% Nitro .50mm - .60mm
30% Nitro .60mm - .65mm
thanks
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #194
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNNy671
Thanks for your advise bvoltz...

According to Josh Cyrul, he doesn't even monitor the temps of the engine he breaks in. Now I know he's a pro and has a ear and experience for this but I guess everyone has their ways of breaking in...Anyone else use Josh's break in procedure on this engine? If so, do you just follow it to the "T" or do you all modify it to your liking and experience with this engine...

Thanks in advance
Modified... when you get the to 4th tank, I hold it for 2 seconds off for 1 second... monitoring the temp the whole time.... I give it a break about every 5 mins.. I do not turn it off, I just slow down the RPM to drop the heat and then back at it. I believe that make changes in the temp range, the temp, this helps the piston break in to the wall of the sleve. Remember, no matter how much you think they are round they are not, so I'm trying to match the piston to the sleve.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #195
Tech Elite

Anyone know of a place to get this new motor in the US?