Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results >

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uniquexme
I tried richen LSN, but lack of power, so i played with slightly higher gear ratio for 1st gear. but still it seems wasp is lacking low end power, BUT long straight is really fast. keke.
Hi uniquexme,
The engine does not suffer from low end. It just does not want to rev up from idle at all, after refueling. It takes 2 to 4 seconds to start and then it is like a rocket in the whole band of power, low, middle and high.

Could it be that the tank looses the compression when it is opened and then takes a while to compress again?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hmm, i m afraid it is really loosing low end, as compared to my OS Speed and Palmaris.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Nano and all,
I also broke in my engine yesterday, 80000 CRF Wasp REV .12 Cyrul Spec. I followed the instruction for the break in. After 4 tanks I started to lean the HSN, I’m very impressed with the top speed. I am using 30% Rocket Science fuel. The car is a Kyosho rrr, I lightened the clutch weights with a 3.5mm drill and set the 1.9mm spring to 1.4mm, with 0.5 mm clutch gap. I have a Skyline VR12 plus. The HSN is 4 turns out, minus one hour. I then started leaning the bottom end, while monitoring the acceleration from a standing start. Also performed the pinch test. I ended up at 47.88mm. I think both of these numbers are close to the recommended value!
OK the questions that I have are:
1) When I start the motor from cold it will not respond to the throttle being opened, in fact it wants to stop. I have to keep the glow igniter on for 10-20 seconds after it has started and try and coax it into life, as it warms up everything is OK, and it responds to the throttle well.
2) Idle is good, and acceleration from a standing start is also good, however if I drive at part throttle it doesn’t hold a constant rpm. I think it is too rich in the mid range, maybe going from a two to a four stroke. When I drive the car at full throttle and immediately bring it to a stop the motor immediately assumes the idling rpm, and this doesn’t change. I think this implies that I have the mixture pretty close. Also when I give the car full throttle it picks up immediately and heads off like a scalded cat. Do I need to consider a different insert in the carb? If so can you give me the part number?

I spoke with Orion USA today and they told me that I should lean the HSN to get the temperature between 250 and 260, and then lean the bottom end. Apparently the reluctance to pick up when cold and also the uneven revs at mid throttle are symptomatic of a rich LSN.
Nano do you agree with this? I asked about a different carb insert, and they said that the Cyrul spec was the correct setup.
I'm still confused
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

About low end, if it's loosing to other engines then your clutch setup is wrong (at least for the CRF engine), yes it screams when the clutch engages.

Nosram, you might actually be too lean on the LSN, open it up one mark or two, one mark can make a big difference. The CRF engine sometimes feels like it's too rich but it's actually too lean. The hesitation in the mid-revs can be also because of a lack of fuel.
Wether it's cold or warm it should rev the same. When you start the engine it can bog a little, but a blip on the throttle will clean it out.

Last but not least the V12 pipe we have never tested, so again this can greatly affect the engines performance.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Nano,
Any opinion for the problem that I described a few posts above?
I am not so sure that it is a tuning problem, since the engine performed fantastically in all the sections of the track. I had fantastic high end and equivalent with all other modified engines low end power.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by etgdpu
Hi Nano,
Any opinion for the problem that I described a few posts above?
I am not so sure that it is a tuning problem, since the engine performed fantastically in all the sections of the track. I had fantastic high end and equivalent with all other modified engines low end power.
Thanks in advance
Since it happens only after refuelling, I can think of two things, tune is a bit too lean and/or some air leak with the fuel tank. Usually low end bogging when then car is not sitting on the ground would mean too lean lsn setting.

Nano
Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you Nano! I will try messing with the LSN.
One last question, for now, the guy at Orion said I might have trouble making 5 minutes when running 30% nitro. He said that Josh ran 20% and 17% in the main at the nationals. Any comment on 30% nitro would welcomed. I am running 30% Rocket Science.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nosram
Thank you Nano! I will try messing with the LSN.
One last question, for now, the guy at Orion said I might have trouble making 5 minutes when running 30% nitro. He said that Josh ran 20% and 17% in the main at the nationals. Any comment on 30% nitro would welcomed. I am running 30% Rocket Science.
Josh Cyrul ran 30% Tornado fuel in his CRF at the Nats. with no problems what so ever... I was there and I believe he even posted a while back as such...

RC_Alan
Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Running higher nitro will increase the torque and lower the revs slightly
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for that info, I have no idea why I was told this information, especially coming from Orion? Actually I was calling to try and get the new carb inlet, I have the 80000 Cyrul spec motor. He claimed that I had the very latest! Reading through these posts I know this is not correct.
What is the part number for the carb insert that I need
Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

The Josh Cyrul motor (updated 2006 engine) has the same carburator and insert that we sell on all our engines today.
The larger size carburator insert #81358 is an optional part.

Nano
Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i ma keen on this engine, just read 25 pages and great reviews - looks like a good challenge
Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM

Frankie, if you tune CRF and clutch right then it's a rocket!!! unbelieveble high end.. I can not think of it with ED transmission..

Asil
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default CRF

NANO,The Josh Cyrul motor WAS SOLD IN THE PACKAGE WITH PIPE AND CLUTCH PARTS ONLY?WHAT IS HIS CODE?THE MANUAL IS THE SAME WITH THE OLD'S ENGINE?IF I SAY YOU THE THE CODE THAT IS WRITEN UNDER THE ENGINE CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT ENGINE I HAVE?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The caps button is a terrible thing to waste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.