R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 AM   #751
Tech Master

Thats good news! I will be tuning the clutch for the RRR. Any ideas? I have the CRF shoe, clutch weights and inserts. I tried 2 inserts with 1.4mm spring tension. I found it to be too agressive. I'm also using the CRF pipe

What clutch setup was you using?

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #752
Tech Adept

For a start use the 3 screws in each weight, 1.5 to 1.7mm spring preload and very important 0.5mm gap between the clutch shoe and clutch bell. Eventually you can try to use only 2 screws in each weigth. Always file down burrs that appear when you insert the screws in the weight as they can cause the weights to bind on the plate.

From new the clutch is going to slip a bit for a few minutes.

Also the clutch bells have tolerances, so switching between clutch bells might require adjusting/ breaking in the clutch again.

If the clutch is setup right, it should last for a long time.

Avoid mixing parts from other clutches as you will cause more harm than good.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #753
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i just thaught it was funny Zoom. i was actually looking in this tread to see why Cyrul, wasnt able to match it in the worlds ? i saw the 2 posts and thaught it was ironic. all the engines are broken from the engine mounts. as he didnt type anything, i actually took it as if he was trying to say, hey this isnt just a team orion problem ? but thats how i took it. and by saying that, for someone who doesnt have a team orion motor, it saved grace a little. if it was a problem with the motors i think more people would be posting the same sort of pics. may be a freakish one off, or a casting problem ? i know ive bent a few finns on my cooling heads, but man , if this is whats going to happen on a big hit, on the right angle at the right time, and when the sun is out ? then im gonna try and stay a lot cleaner and back off a bit. i dont want to see this on one of my motors either. seeya sunday
This engine was broken when a guy crashed in the infield and flew out onto the back straight. Another car came by and hit him at full speed destroying a lot of the car but the most impressive was the engine case!! I'm not 100% sure, but I think Fabrice inspected the engine and rebuilt him a mostly new engine. I think if you could see the head as well you could tell how hard the impact was!!!

As far as the Worlds for me.... It was really difficult to focus on practice as we weren't sure if I was going to be able to race due to the engine protest. Also, most of my gear was lost by the airlines so I had to beg and borrow stuff for the first 3-4 days (Thanks for the help Ron!!). I also missed the first day of practice because of spending so much time and the airport trying to sort out where my bags were....

Qualifying was terrible as my car set-up was bad and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The last day, I had a cell break in the reciever pack and 2nd gear strip out so I missed out on qualifying on the super fast track. This dropped me to the 1/4 final. In the 1/4 final I made some huge changes to my car and set-up and it was a definate improvement but still not what I was looking for. I won the 1/4 and changed things further for the Semi. In the Semi, the car was finally as it should be and I was able to to recover from a bad start (spinning into the grass), catching and passing every car on the track (including the eventual World Champion) to win the Semi. Unfortunetly, in the final things got a bit confussed and messed up at the start of the final and my engine tune was way off. After several flame outs and troubles I was out of the race after super big impact with Dario Balastry at the end of the straight - he hit the curb and spun, I hit him super hard which poped the battery pack from the tray. Only a few laps later the wires from the battery were into the front belt/pulley and the battery was hanging out of the side of the car between the side belt and pipe. Needless to say a run-a-way through the grass and into pit lane wall finished it for good....

Dissapointing really as I do think we had the fastest engine there and finally my car was good enough to do the job. We are working on more things to improve the engine for the future but it is starting to really prove itself and show it's potential with the impressive top speeds now but the best part is there's plenty of torque now to go along with that top speed!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #754
Tech Master

Josh

I heard you were running a different timing config for your engine than the standard CRF. What were the differrence and are we going to see these differences in a new engine MKII perhaps?

I have the clutch and the pipe for the RRR. What setup was you running. How many inserts and what clutch spring tension etc.. I have only had one run with the new clutch and am poking in the dark for a decent setup

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #755
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Josh,
Not sure if you remember me mate i was talking to you and Mikey on saturday afternoon in the pits when it was raining, i am the dude with the 3 fingers if that helps you remember. A very very good mate of mine had a speed gun there on sunday and saturday during the 1/4 and you were the fastest down the back straight by on average about 4-5 kph, with a top speed of 101kph, and guys you have to remember this was on 16% not the 30% that you guys normally run, so for me this proves that this enine has the hp.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 AM   #756
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
This engine was broken when a guy crashed in the infield and flew out onto the back straight. Another car came by and hit him at full speed destroying a lot of the car but the most impressive was the engine case!! I'm not 100% sure, but I think Fabrice inspected the engine and rebuilt him a mostly new engine. I think if you could see the head as well you could tell how hard the impact was!!!
Josh I saw the engine and the first fin of the head is partially ripped off. Fabrice only changed the conrod and re-used all the other parts in a new case.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

thanks for the reply Josh. in no way was i bagging your efforts at the worlds. i was watching the lap times over the internet, and saw the times drop off. as for your stuff going missing at the airport, then the protest on the engine, man i wouldnt wish this upon my worst enemy. now knowing the events that took place, i take my hat of to you and your persistence and effort shown to keep going strong. all the best for future races.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #758
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

As far as the Worlds for me.... It was really difficult to focus on practice as we weren't sure if I was going to be able to race due to the engine protest. Also, most of my gear was lost by the airlines so I had to beg and borrow stuff for the first 3-4 days (Thanks for the help Ron!!). I also missed the first day of practice because of spending so much time and the airport trying to sort out where my bags were....

Qualifying was terrible as my car set-up was bad and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. The last day, I had a cell break in the reciever pack and 2nd gear strip out so I missed out on qualifying on the super fast track. This dropped me to the 1/4 final. In the 1/4 final I made some huge changes to my car and set-up and it was a definate improvement but still not what I was looking for. I won the 1/4 and changed things further for the Semi. In the Semi, the car was finally as it should be and I was able to to recover from a bad start (spinning into the grass), catching and passing every car on the track (including the eventual World Champion) to win the Semi. Unfortunetly, in the final things got a bit confussed and messed up at the start of the final and my engine tune was way off. After several flame outs and troubles I was out of the race after super big impact with Dario Balastry at the end of the straight - he hit the curb and spun, I hit him super hard which poped the battery pack from the tray. Only a few laps later the wires from the battery were into the front belt/pulley and the battery was hanging out of the side of the car between the side belt and pipe. Needless to say a run-a-way through the grass and into pit lane wall finished it for good....

Dissapointing really as I do think we had the fastest engine there and finally my car was good enough to do the job. We are working on more things to improve the engine for the future but it is starting to really prove itself and show it's potential with the impressive top speeds now but the best part is there's plenty of torque now to go along with that top speed!!
What engine are you going to use at the ROAR 1/8 scale Open Nationals this weekend??? An Orion .21 CRF prototype??? Race fans want to know...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #759
Tech Rookie

Quote:

Whats the second fuel line going to your engine for ?
bigman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #760
Tech Master

Hi,

I would be purchasing this engine for my V1RRREvo. I am new to the kit as well. So presuming that I have a stock clutch that is included with the kit, what do I need to set to make the best out of the engine for a small to medium sized track? I understand that this engine has a different power band, and am ready to buy pinions and spurs to get a larger final ratio for the 1st and 2nd speeds. Thanks.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #761
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tan
Hi,

I would be purchasing this engine for my V1RRREvo. I am new to the kit as well. So presuming that I have a stock clutch that is included with the kit, what do I need to set to make the best out of the engine for a small to medium sized track? I understand that this engine has a different power band, and am ready to buy pinions and spurs to get a larger final ratio for the 1st and 2nd speeds. Thanks.
The best option is to get our set of clutch option parts which have been optimized to work with this engine. You definitely need to use a at least a harder spring, otherwise your clutch will engage to early causing the engine to struggle in acceleration.
The gearing can be taken care of in a second stage.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #762
Tech Master

Nano,

i managed to get hold of the square spring. So what are the recommended settings for the stock clutch parts that i have for the v1rrr? Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #763
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Tan
Nano,

i managed to get hold of the square spring. So what are the recommended settings for the stock clutch parts that i have for the v1rrr? Thanks
Kenneth

These are some settings for the Kyosho RRR from BK (mxwrench), posted sometime ago. Hope they help

AFM

I have found several great setups for this engine and I would like to share them with you guys, and hopefully you can share some of the same good results.

Orion CRF engine w/2601 Novarossi pipe and med conical header. Good for long flowing tracks with lots of long straights. This lets the engine really spin up and gives great power mostly on top end.
The clutch was set up to engage around 28,000rpm and the gearing I used was (RRR) 17/61 1st and 22/55 2nd w/ tire dia. 61/59
The clutch I used had the Orion weights with 2 set screws in each weight, and Orion spring set at 1.6mm preload. I used the Kyosho grey shoe with this set up. My clutch gap was set to .6mm

Orion CRF engine w/Skyline VR12 Plus pipe and header. Good for short tracks with tight corners
I had very good power off corners with this set up and still had a lot of revs on top.
The clutch was set to engage around 29,000 rpm and the gearing I used was (RRR) 16/60 1st and 22/56 2nd w/ tire dia. 59/57
I used the same clutch setting as before only I used the Orion spring set at 1.7mm preload. Clutch bell gap set to .6mm. I used the Orion shoe at this track for a bit of more progressive clutch engagement out of the corners.

Orion CRF engine w/Orion CRF 2626 pipe and header. Good all around set up, good power off corners and decent top speed. But this setting would be better with -5mm header
Clutch setup was again set to 28,000 rpm and the gearing I used was (RRR) 16/59 1st and 22/55 2nd w/tire dia 60/58
I used the std Kyosho white weights and Evolva Red spring set to 2.2mm preload with grey shoe and also used the Orion clutch setup with Orion weights w/2 set screws in each weight, Orion spring set to 1.65mm and Orion shoe. Clutch gap set to .5-.6mm. Both clutch settings worked well, but I thought the Orion shoe had a little bit more slip initially than the Kyosho grey shoe which seemed to have a bit more initial grab.
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #764
Tech Master

Yup, i saw those tips, i am just not sure it my stock clutch shoe and spring of the RRR are those that he mentioned. Thanks...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #765
Tech Master

Anyway, how are those rpms that were mentioned were measured? Tachometer?