Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results >

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This is whats holding me back. I will not buy something just because it's the fastest and such unless I'm able to get parts for it...especially for a good price.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Service?

If you find a parts source - jump right in. Motor has huge potential - but this is a sure way to give it a bad reputation. With everyone running the wrong pipe/clutch config etc.

I have run it in with a RB pipe and a cobbled up clutch and it looks promising.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What shoe is everyone running? I was thinking of trying the yellow shoe or maybe a red mugen show.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch

I ran a Serpent yellow shoe with weights cut and drilled from the old Serpent white sliding weights. New heavy spring etc. I never stressed the motor since I want to get the right bits - but it did not seem to have any holes in the power band. A bit like the ZX12 I thought.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

I wish i had a nice review to give but after about 30 - 40 seconds of running it locked up tight. pop the front bearing out and the crank is rubbing the case. the fit is just soooo tight right there. i called orion and sent it back to them 3 day ups. now i spoke to 2 other people who had the same problem. im sitting on a stack of engines im affraid to sell.

i can see it now. "sell engine, customer brings engine back, wants money back, i tell him he needs to send to orion, he tells me i suck and he's never coming back".

do i sell the engines i have or send them back to my distributor? i was so excited about this motor and to have such a let down like this i just sucks. good thing i still had my trusty mega zx-12.

later
Aldo
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hi everyone. i just bought this motor and have 3 tanks through it. since the first tank the motor revs up after letting off full throttle. i no on a regular motor that means the low end it to lean but i keep richining the low but no help. it just doesnt sound normal but the temps are 198-203. any help please?? thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Idle might be set too high.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Idle might be set too high.
no. i turned the idle way down and it still does it but if i blip the throttle it will stop. im not new at tuning a motor just this 1 is funny. riching the low-end doesnt help either.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Clutch could be dragging. Throttle could be sticking.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrage
no. i turned the idle way down and it still does it but if i blip the throttle it will stop. im not new at tuning a motor just this 1 is funny. riching the low-end doesnt help either.
I suspect that the HSN is too lean and the LSN is set to rich to compensate. Also you might want to look for leakage around the backplate and also the Fuel inlet joint on the carb. Check it for oil residue.

BK
Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

My son and I both purchased the new Wasp and if we would've waited we would've made a different choice. The engine has great potential but is not suited for our cars. This engine requires the ability to gear way way down for tracks with under 215 foot straights, which are the majority of USA club tracks. The Kyosho, seems to be the only car that can get close with their gearing at present. TM said they will have the gearing issue rectfyied sometime in August.

Both engines are presently on the shelf waiting for new carbs. We broke the engines in using Josh Cyrul's break in process, with no problems, except my son's engine was a little more difficult to tune. Now I know why. We both ran two to three qualifieres till we couldn't keep them tuned. Seems the insulators were cracked and didn't exhibit any problems until the engine reached operating temp., Tried to over tighten the carb seat to seal better but that only lasted for 6 laps. Orion is aware of the cracked carb insulators and the leaky O ring seals. Quite a number are getting out of the factory with this problem. Once this happens, it's virtually impossible to pull the carb off. The part theat sucks is there are no parts support yet. I haven't heard if they have fixed these serious issues or if they are still shipping with same problems.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
My son and I both purchased the new Wasp and if we would've waited we would've made a different choice. The engine has great potential but is not suited for our cars. This engine requires the ability to gear way way down for tracks with under 215 foot straights, which are the majority of USA club tracks. The Kyosho, seems to be the only car that can get close with their gearing at present. TM said they will have the gearing issue rectfyied sometime in August.

Both engines are presently on the shelf waiting for new carbs. We broke the engines in using Josh Cyrul's break in process, with no problems, except my son's engine was a little more difficult to tune. Now I know why. We both ran two to three qualifieres till we couldn't keep them tuned. Seems the insulators were cracked and didn't exhibit any problems until the engine reached operating temp., Tried to over tighten the carb seat to seal better but that only lasted for 6 laps. Orion is aware of the cracked carb insulators and the leaky O ring seals. Quite a number are getting out of the factory with this problem. Once this happens, it's virtually impossible to pull the carb off. The part theat sucks is there are no parts support yet. I haven't heard if they have fixed these serious issues or if they are still shipping with same problems.
Yeah, it is very critical not to overtighten the carb pinch bolt or you run the risk of deforming the insulator.

And please, please remember that just because the engine doesn't have a pinch on the sleeve/piston assy, that doesn't mean you don't need to do break in. Some other critical parts still need time to seat themselves. ie. conrod bushing, bearings, crankshaft to crankcase fit, etc.

Believe me, you will be glad you spent the time to do it properly!

BK
Old 07-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im currently using the CRF engine with the Nova 2601 pipe.I found that the low end is a little weak..probably due to my inexperience tuning.Can anyone out there tell me how much shall i tune the HSN and LSN to get a proper tuning.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

I had the first outing with the CRF on a nice big track on Sunday. It was the fastest engine on the track by a long way!! Low end can be taken care off by tuning the clutch

Cheers
Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Ziggy, is your engine EFRA legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.