R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2006, 02:05 AM   #496
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Just got hold of one of these to try, good price, only 2/3rds the price of other motors from an official UK dealer.
Break in procedure?
Reading the manual, I understand it as :
Fit motor in car, start it up and drive, driving at slow race lap speeds using the revs but not hard acceleration, gradually bring to full race speed, all done in 3 or 4 tanks.
Is this correct?
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:41 AM   #497
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Josh and other CRF specialist,

my buddy Dongiganti asked me to clarify his question.

He's having trouble to get the engine warmed up.
It takes about 10 laps before the engine really makes power and then it runs reliably and fast. It usually comes off the track at 120 degrees C.

He's running 16% fuel and has already taken two 0.1mm shims out.

He's tempted to lean the engine to get it warmed up quicker,but he's concerned about overheating it.

Any ideas what he could change to fix this problem? Plugs probably, or leaner on the bottom?

In my opinion that sounds a bit like the Picco engines which also need a pretty long warm up time before they can be adjusted.

Any help would be appreciated
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #498
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
Just got hold of one of these to try, good price, only 2/3rds the price of other motors from an official UK dealer.
Break in procedure?
Reading the manual, I understand it as :
Fit motor in car, start it up and drive, driving at slow race lap speeds using the revs but not hard acceleration, gradually bring to full race speed, all done in 3 or 4 tanks.
Is this correct?
Thats how i did mine! Try a strong clutch spring as it needs about 5K more revs to get off the line.

Cheers
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #499
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Josh and other CRF specialist,

my buddy Dongiganti asked me to clarify his question.

He's having trouble to get the engine warmed up.
It takes about 10 laps before the engine really makes power and then it runs reliably and fast. It usually comes off the track at 120 degrees C.

He's running 16% fuel and has already taken two 0.1mm shims out.

He's tempted to lean the engine to get it warmed up quicker,but he's concerned about overheating it.

Any ideas what he could change to fix this problem? Plugs probably, or leaner on the bottom?

In my opinion that sounds a bit like the Picco engines which also need a pretty long warm up time before they can be adjusted.

Any help would be appreciated
Me and 2 friends are also experiencing that the engine takes approximately 3 minutes to get to a temperature where the car even starts to shift gears.
__________________
JMI Motorsport / Red Bull Racing
HB Cyclone TC - Schumacher CAT SX & Cougar SV
Advanced Electronics - Autopartner.se - Sav÷x - NorthTQ
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #500
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Staten Island ny
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Good idea.
DOnt worry, when we git out there u will see how fast it is
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #501
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Mines like a startled deer right from the first lap!!
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #502
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Posts: 478
Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
Just to give you an example:
Jilles Groskamp, 1 of the worlds best drivers in the electic scene, drove the 720 during the EFRA GP held in Holland.
He for the first time drove this car on Thursday, and this really was the first time he EVER drove a 1/10 scaled gas powered car.
after Qualifying on Saturday, he secured 2nd qualifing time........
Ok, he was farmiliar with the track, this helps......

Sorry? He drove like 500 laps.. that's where the fist 'spy shots' of the 720 came from... pay attention
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 AM   #503
Tech Adept
 
Schrijver99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Near Serpent (grrrr)
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Sorry? He drove like 500 laps.. that's where the fist 'spy shots' of the 720 came from... pay attention
And don't forget Lisse where he drove Rob Kuijper's car at the Indoor (a few year back, Serpent 705)

Back on topic:
I can't wait for my CRF to arive and see what it can do at the kypsho cup here in the Netherlands
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #504
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
Sorry? He drove like 500 laps.. that's where the fist 'spy shots' of the 720 came from... pay attention


Missed that one, really thought that Rene did those laps.....
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #505
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

This is a big track motor, more so than a Sirio.
I can't gear my G4S low enough to use the revs (already on 18/23) and it bogs badly out of the tight corners after 6 laps (overheating?).
I tried a tighter and stiffer clutch spring but lost that low end drive needed for the infield making it unusable.
Current gearing with this motor almost lets me run the 155ft main straight in 1st gear (does about 140ft), so I need to lower the rev range.
Would a longer manifold be the answer?
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 AM   #506
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
This is a big track motor, more so than a Sirio.
I can't gear my G4S low enough to use the revs (already on 18/23) and it bogs badly out of the tight corners after 6 laps (overheating?).
I tried a tighter and stiffer clutch spring but lost that low end drive needed for the infield making it unusable.
Current gearing with this motor almost lets me run the 155ft main straight in 1st gear (does about 140ft), so I need to lower the rev range.
Would a longer manifold be the answer?
Hi

Are you using 16% fuel? I tried mine and it doesnt like it. I suggest going to 25% or removing 0.1 or 0.2mm shims from the head. To get the top revs you need to have the motor dialed with the correct pipe so you have enough useable rev range.
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #507
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345
Hi

Are you using 16% fuel? I tried mine and it doesnt like it. I suggest going to 25% or removing 0.1 or 0.2mm shims from the head. To get the top revs you need to have the motor dialed with the correct pipe so you have enough useable rev range.
loads of top revs, motor really screams, it's the bottom end I need with a drivable clutch.
Think I may have to bin this motor and get one I know works, a JP.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #508
Tech Master
 
Josh Cyrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Posts: 1,409
Default

stephan - It sounds like the engine is just too rich on the bottom end. My engine at the ROAR Nats would warm up for 30-60 seconds in the pits, set it down on the track and it would shift down the straight the very first lap!! This was only after I leaned the bottom end as it should be though. If the bottom was too rich, then I had the top lean to compensate and it did take a long time to come up to a stable temp. Once I leaned the bottom, I ended up richening the top end slightly and the engine had a lot more power than it had before. Again, the sounds this engine makes are really different compared to other engines so it does take a little time to understand the sounds and settings needed to make the engine really scream!!

NiMo - The small clutch that is in the G4 makes tuning the clutch very difficult. I would check and see if the new CRF Clutch kit for the Serpent car will fit in the G4 (I think it will). I know this in itself would help a TON!!! A longer manifold would probably help....

Ziggy12345 - What plug are you using?? For 25% and higher I would use either the #6 or #7. If you are running 16% you might want to run the #5 or #6. The #7 with 16% can be a bit too cold of a plug - I would only use this in 90F+ weather....
__________________
Destiny, Ko Propo, Hobby Wing, Ulti Racing Tires, Protoform, Xenon Racing, Pivothead, Vizon, TQ Wire & Hella Graphics
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #509
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

I will try the longer pipe, and also try taking some weights out of the clutch.
Flywheel on G4S very small (30.5mm), RRR/FW05 flywheel 33mm would be below chassis bottom, otherwise I would have tried the Kyosho 3D clutch which I understand properly.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #510
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

I was using the plug that was in the engine that came with it, I'm not sure what one it is. I am waiting for the CRF plugs before I change it as I dont know if the Nova ones have the correct seal angle, somebody saif the OS ones are the same.

FYI Nimo. Mark Christopher had the fastest car on the track at Ashby running a JP T03M out of the box!!
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Orion Wasp REV Nicolas Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 183 10-05-2006 09:04 AM
team orion wasp rev MAVICXXX Malaysian R/C Racers 31 09-19-2006 09:18 PM
Team Orion - Wasp!! BundyMan Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 1 03-03-2006 03:10 AM
Orion Element 19t Dyno results rinkrat99 Electric On-Road 7 10-09-2005 07:29 PM
Team Orion Wasp .12 HaLo_UsMc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 03-16-2005 07:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net