R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #466
afm
Tech Master

Rick and Josh

Congratulations for your awesome performance on the first "top race" for the CRF engine....considering the short time for testing and sorting all the insides of the engine and track settings...I'm sure that as the year goes on you'll have the results we all wish for....The Worlds Championship.
Good Luck, and have fun....

AFM
GPP Model Racing
Distributor
Team Orion Engines
Peru
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #467
Tech Elite

Congrats Josh and Orion on a great showing first time out. From looking at the dyno results I can see how gearing, clutch and pipe will need to be tuned to work with an "under the graph" power range so different to current engines. Also anybody is is a racer knows that preparation time is critical to any large event, well done with the time you had available. You dont owe any explaination to M7H.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #468
afm
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Josh Cyrul]..........I think that we are nearly the same or a little slower right now on the top end simply because there isn't a pipe made to properly take full use of the RPM that this engine can generate. I think that once we have a little testing under our belts that we will have all the bases covered!!!

QUOTE]

Josh, what pipe did you use??? Was it one of Team Orion's?? because that would mean that they would have to make more pipes than the ones offered currently, or was it other brand??

AFM
Old 06-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #469
Tech Master

Kropy - Thanks!!

afm - I used a Sirio pipe - mainly because we didn't have the Orion pipes on hand until Thursday when they arrived. (Thanks UPS for loosing the package!!). At that time, it was already nearing the end of practice and I was still so busy working on the car set-up that I didn't want to loose the time on the track re-tuning the engine or making any adjustments from the power side. I stuck with the pipe/header I had and just tried to make the best of it. For the GLC in August, we should have a much better idea and set-up for things!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #470
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Kropy - Thanks!!

afm - I used a Sirio pipe - mainly because we didn't have the Orion pipes on hand until Thursday when they arrived. (Thanks UPS for loosing the package!!). At that time, it was already nearing the end of practice and I was still so busy working on the car set-up that I didn't want to loose the time on the track re-tuning the engine or making any adjustments from the power side. I stuck with the pipe/header I had and just tried to make the best of it. For the GLC in August, we should have a much better idea and set-up for things!!!
Thanks Josh, that is clear enough.

Afm
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 AM   #471
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dal
Default CRF

Hey Josh, I live in Australia.
I have the new engine, not run yet, do you have any sugestions of pipes, other than the orien one, which I cant get over here yet, to use with the engine, also any clutch sugestions for the mugen car, as the clutch not available here either.
any help much appreciated.
Dal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 AM   #472
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Also, Serpent is in Holland and Gilles is a great driver so that is an easy combination - Gilles knows the track and can drive. Serpent knows the track and has a great set-up I'm sure.....
True, but I already admitted that.......
Quote:
We went to Crystal Park completely blind as myself nor Rick or Ron Atomic had ever been there so we had no set-up to work from.
And again I already admitted that, With the circumstances you described it's not fair to "judge" yet......
But it is also not fair from other people here to just say because the WASP had the same speed that the other engine MUST have been tuned versions......

About "your" break-in methode.
I've read it on .. (what site was it?) and adopted it because it felt good to me, around this time there was a huge discussion on a Dutch forum about what the best methode was, and I posted your's.....
After some discussion about the methode, people started using it and now it seems to bee the methode to run in your Ninja engine......
If I where you, I would ask royalties........
Old 06-21-2006, 05:17 AM   #473

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I heard the new TZ motors ask for a method similiar to josh's. Before it was the same ol same from os.

Also from what I can gather these other engines the team orion was running against were modified right? As well cost a bit more. Were running 30% and how long did the drivers get to play with these or the motors been out?

I think for this debut , the REV's did pretty well considering all the strikes against it. Congrats to those who ran these so early out with some great results. Also another plus to add to the orion is the 4 tank break-in. You now can break in your motors in just a little practice session before racing.

-- Also would love to see this thread get back on topic. Start a new one if your so interested in comparing certain motors to another for such a long period.

Heres some topics:

What kind oil percentages should we run in the REV's?
Has anyone tried going to 20% or 30% on these?
How long are these motors going to last or lasted?
Did anyone loose a motor or replace due to low compression / poor performance during the race?

Thanks, A.I.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #474

Also to anyone who has this motor and your running mugen clutch. Id use the grey pad for the meantime until you can locate and try out the CRF clutch system.

Happy Tuning Fellas.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 06-21-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #475
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Also from what I can gather these other engines the team orion was running against were modified right? As well cost a bit more. Were running 30% and how long did the drivers get to play with these or the motors been out?
As a moderator I understand that you can not read every post in every forum, but about the other engines being modified ones, they where not, atleast 1 brand wasn't....
Quote:
-- Also would love to see this thread get back on topic. Start a new one if your so interested in comparing certain motors to another for such a long period.
I'm not trying to compare, other people come with remarks to compare..........

I rest my case...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #476
Tech Adept

Default Mugen clutch setup

Quote:
Also to anyone who has this motor and your running mugen clutch. Use the grey pad for the meantime until you can locate and try out the CRF clutch system.

Happy Tuning Fellas.
During the nats I used a mugen yellow clutch shoe, with a MSR clutch spring, set at 9.5mm. I also used the new white orion weights. I would not suggest using the grey shoe, because I found it to be sluggish.

Mike Huse
Mugen Seiki/ Airtronics/ P-Dub racing/ Team THS/ GRP/ Orion
mhuse6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #477

Interesting I thought the CRF shoe is a more aggressive pad. Reason why Id figure the grey would work well since its the most aggressive pad from mugen. Ill have to try the yellow, thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #478
Tech Adept

Quote:
Interesting I thought the CRF shoe is a more aggressive pad. Reason why Id figure the grey would work well since its the most aggressive pad from mugen. Ill have to try the yellow, thanks.

You are correct about the grey shoe being more aggressive, but I found the clutch stayed consistant much longer with the yellow. Alot of these set-ups are a personal thing, so you may prefer the grey shoe. Hope this helps, and dont hesitate to pm me if you have any questions.

Mike Huse
Mugen Seiki/ Airtronics/ P-Dub Racing/ Team THS/ GRP/ Orion
mhuse6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #479
Tech Master

Artificial-I and Huse - Mike, did you try the Orion shoe?? The Mugen/Kyosho type Grey clutch shoes are more aggressive than the Yellow but I'm pretty sure that our Orion/CRF shoe is less aggressive than the Yellow... I didn't have any yellow ones to compare against so I may be wrong....

M7H - Again, it's cool to hear about the breakin being so popular and people are having sucess with it. No royalties needed - If it works and they have a good experience then that means more people racing, more people racing = more fun and competition!! I think that's enough of a royalty there in itself!! I guess I'll have to test a bit and do a new REV break-in procedure to get the most from this engine!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Any word on when the pipe sets will be available? GP, Horizon, & HRP show them all as either NYA or invalid P/N.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote