R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #451
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrijver99
Is this the NEW Mega thread? is the real one closed........broken

Lets stay on toppic --> Team Orion CRF Wasp

I have one on order and will see how this sweet thing compares with my "old" style JP-FX.

BTW Not all "dutch" are the same
Something wrong Bas?....
Don't like what your reading here?......

But, as you've ordered the engine, I will see it someday then on the MACH track.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Are you sure?
Watch out, we might meet real soon during the "weltmeistershaft".........
Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #452
Tech Regular

Default Sedan Nats and power.

All the motors used by the the top drivers had plenty of ponies. Whether it was a CRF, Mega, JP, Rody,Nova Rossi, Sirio or Axial....and others I might have missed. In my book the CRF is definately a contender, and the rest of it comes down to personal preference. In the A-sedan ......it didn't seem like anyone was blowing away anyone with HP. It came down to driving, set-up, pit strategy, tuning, clutch and pipe. These guys just know how to maximize the particular "package" they are using. Josh's CRF was plenty fast in the Open and A-sedan. Josh also did an awesome job in tuning his package and running back to back hour long mains. That is a feat in itself! I'm sure he will learn even more more about the CRF and help his fellow racers who choose to run the motor.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #453
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
Something wrong Bas?....
Don't like what your reading here?......
I like to read the stuff this thread was started for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
But, as you've ordered the engine, I will see it someday then on the MACH track.......
First run will be on Real80 (when i'm going to race the Kyoshocup with a jetlag)
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #454
Tech Master

I just got the wasp in the car and had a test. I cant see why people are complaining about the bottom end. I have not had a engine with so much power and torque. I did setup the clutch so it came in really late and set the 2nd speed to shift later. My set was as follows

Kyosho RRR
White clutch shoes with 3.5mm drilled holes all 3
0.5mm gap
Grey shoe
Protech clutch spring rated at 20KG (hardest i could find). Its slightly longer so gives more tension as well.
Spring set at 1.4mm

20/56 15/61 gearing
59mm rears 57mm fronts

25% Tornado
Novarossi 2601 Pipe with conical header
Stock head shims
Stock plug

Even with this low roll out I have never seen the car go as fast!!

The engine is the most powerfull on the market and in the UK its one of the cheapest!!!! Move over Novarossi.

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #455
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345
I just got the wasp in the car and had a test. I cant see why people are complaining about the bottom end. I have not had a engine with so much power and torque.
Haha, funny....
Maybe it got everything to do with your Pipe and conical header.... or with a good clutch set-up....
I to sometimes see people both in 1/10 and 1/8 scale see there car running with a far to early clutch engagement.....
Have fun with it....
Quote:
Move over Novarossi.
I agree, but I also "feel" they know they are losing ground.....
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #456
Tech Master

M7H - Just to give you a bit of insite of the race (mind you, not making excuses):

#1 - Serpent and Mugen were both running on the track on Friday the weekend before the event!! 5 days before Rick or myself even arrived at the track!!! Rick didn't know he was going to race until last minute and I had a planned trip to Italy that I ended up not going on but we didn't change the plans as to when to come out. I thought it was a ROAR National where everyone came out on Tuesday... Seemed more like a Worlds with everyone going so early!!!

#2 - The track is crazy!! You run at full throttle more on this track than any other track I have ever raced at. If you car is good you can run nearly flat out for about 8 seconds straight!! It's also very bumpy in the high speed corners (usually right were you are shifting into 2nd gear).

I was really happy with the race. With my car and engine set-up, I had a really good chance at TQ in the TC class but 3 driving mistakes in 3 different qualifiers cost me as each time it was under 30 seconds left to go and I was on pace to beat TQ by 2-3 seconds.

The trick of this track was getting your car to run smooth over the bumps so you could push very hard. My car was quite good until the shock oil thinned out due to the heat and then it was like driving a pogo stick!! This meant I lost a tone of time and speed coming onto the straight which made it difficult to keep up with the pace of the others. Nothing of the engine's fault, just my own set-up that wasn't good enough.

Anyone at the race saw that the engines were as fast as anything on the track. I actually think we had a little bit more bottom end and a little less top end than the others with the gearing we used. We choose the gearing to make the car pull very hard through the infield sections which really helped the consistancy and drivability of the car. I think with a little more pipe/header work we will be in great shape compared to the rest.... Did we mention we ran 16-20% fuel and the rest ran 30%??
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Only 16-20% compared to 30% and you still had good speed, that is impressive. Josh, just one question and please be honest, how would you compare the bottom and mid range power of the CRF compared to a Sirio Evo 3?

Cheers Daniel

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

how come you didn't run 30% if it was an advantage? or was 16% better?
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #459
M7H
Tech Elite

Josh, thanks for your reply and some inside information.....

A driver like you doesn't need a week to learn a track, but you had a disadvantage there, for shure....

Just to give you an example:
Jilles Groskamp, 1 of the worlds best drivers in the electic scene, drove the 720 during the EFRA GP held in Holland.
He for the first time drove this car on Thursday, and this really was the first time he EVER drove a 1/10 scaled gas powered car.
after Qualifying on Saturday, he secured 2nd qualifing time........
Ok, he was farmiliar with the track, this helps......

For the rest, don't burn me to my feet , I think my replies are honest, and I am in no way trying to bash the engine.....

BTW, did you know that "your" engine WOT break-in methode is copied by a lot of drivers these days.....
Even Rick Vrielijnck (Mugen factory driver) is giving "your" methode to be the best one for breaking in the Ninja engine........

Good luck to you and team Orion with the engine, and hopefully I will see it during the European Championship in August.......
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #460
Tech Elite

Josh did not mention one other oddity of the track - the fact that past configuration changes left some very slick painted sections directly in the racing line. Josh and I both could not really come to terms with these sections which left us avoiding them all together and taking a small time penalty while other's cars seem unaffected.

With a little more time, I am sure we could have overcome this obstacle.

We ran 16% because we THOUGHT it was better. Some small set-up mistakes led me in this direction. But looking back, 30% would have been a better option.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #461
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H
Josh, thanks for your reply and some inside information.....

A driver like you doesn't need a week to learn a track, but you had a disadvantage there, for shure....

Just to give you an example:
Jilles Groskamp, 1 of the worlds best drivers in the electic scene, drove the 720 during the EFRA GP held in Holland.
He for the first time drove this car on Thursday, and this really was the first time he EVER drove a 1/10 scaled gas powered car.
after Qualifying on Saturday, he secured 2nd qualifing time........
Ok, he was farmiliar with the track, this helps......

For the rest, don't burn me to my feet , I think my replies are honest, and I am in no way trying to bash the engine.....

BTW, did you know that "your" engine WOT break-in methode is copied by a lot of drivers these days.....
Even Rick Vrielijnck (Mugen factory driver) is giving "your" methode to be the best one for breaking in the Ninja engine........

Good luck to you and team Orion with the engine, and hopefully I will see it during the European Championship in August.......
You bust the guys chops because he "should" be able to learn a track faster and back yourself up using an example that doesn't even fit because the guy floats in late and qualifies 2nd BUT he already knows the track. So if some of the fastest drivers don't need the practice time, why did some of them come out early? Looks to me like they wanted an edge on the rest of the field and it seems like it paid off for them.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #462
Tech Master

Slo-MTX4 - If I had to say, I think the current set-up that we have actually yeilds more bottom end and mid-range power and speed than my Sirio. I think that we are nearly the same or a little slower right now on the top end simply because there isn't a pipe made to properly take full use of the RPM that this engine can generate. I think that once we have a little testing under our belts that we will have all the bases covered!!!

Jo - Being that our time has been limited with the engine under race conditions, we started with 25-30% but we lost the tune of the engines when it really got really hot out. Again, I think just our inexperience with the engines. We dropped the nitro just to try and get consistancy which did really help. We also went to the #7 plugs but that was after the nitro drop. Hindsight being 20/20 we probably would have been fine if we just went to the #7 plugs and added a shim for more head clearance. Again, just with limited time we were more thrashing just to get the car drivable over the bumps let alone mess with the engine.

Rick is right - Swauger could fly through the painted sections of the track. If we touched them we were completly sideways. That alone made us drive on pins and needles every lap....

M7H - Learning to drive the track was easy... Learning the set-up for the track was tough. Also, Serpent is in Holland and Gilles is a great driver so that is an easy combination - Gilles knows the track and can drive. Serpent knows the track and has a great set-up I'm sure..... We went to Crystal Park completely blind as myself nor Rick or Ron Atomic had ever been there so we had no set-up to work from.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #463
Tech Master

As far as the break-in...lol... That's cool!!! At least I did something right...lol..
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #464
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Congrats on your 30th National title & to Orion on yet another national title
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Thanks Josh,
Cant wait to see you out here for the worlds and look forward to chatting to you some more about this engine after you do some more testing.

Cheers Daniel

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote