R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #391
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those of you that do not like the power band higher think about this:

In full scale racing the goal is always to raise the peak power numbers to a higher number and a higher rpm range, than you put more gear in and the results is more power to the tires, even if the power is the same. It is simple math, same power, more gear, more power to tires. That is why F1 runs 18,000 to 20,000 rpm and why NASCAR engines now have peak power at 8500 rpm when it was 7500 just a few years ago. In NASCAR it is so important that they put a gear rule in place to keep the rpm's in check.

Take the higher rpm's add gear and go faster, it works!
OldNSlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #392
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNSlow2
For those of you that do not like the power band higher think about this:

In full scale racing the goal is always to raise the peak power numbers to a higher number and a higher rpm range, than you put more gear in and the results is more power to the tires, even if the power is the same. It is simple math, same power, more gear, more power to tires. That is why F1 runs 18,000 to 20,000 rpm and why NASCAR engines now have peak power at 8500 rpm when it was 7500 just a few years ago. In NASCAR it is so important that they put a gear rule in place to keep the rpm's in check.

Take the higher rpm's add gear and go faster, it works!

remember, adding gear will make the bottom suffer, which a bunch of people here are saying they are experiencing.

i don't have the motor and i haven't used it myself. but a fellow racer was running one last week and i don't see the bottom suffering at all. we have a very technical track where it requires a lot of torque out of the corners (slow turns so acceleration is a must). his car takes off pretty quick and quicker than my OS. he was using a VR12Plus pipe.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #393
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
remember, adding gear will make the bottom suffer, which a bunch of people here are saying they are experiencing.

i don't have the motor and i haven't used it myself. but a fellow racer was running one last week and i don't see the bottom suffering at all. we have a very technical track where it requires a lot of torque out of the corners (slow turns so acceleration is a must). his car takes off pretty quick and quicker than my OS. he was using a VR12Plus pipe.

I think we are saying the same thing, adding gear in my example means a lower gear (higher number). Different forms of racing use different terms for talking gear ratio. In my world of full size racing when we say add gear or shorter gear means bigger number for ratio. Taller gear is smaller number.

Now I am confused......LOL
OldNSlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #394
B4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M
The list price for the motor is A$425. If you can't get it for that price then let me know and I'll sort you out. Even I missed out on one of the first batch to arrive in Aus. You'll probably find that there is nil stock in the US as well (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,

Mike.
Hi Mike,

I can't get it for that price. Your help would be appreciated.
Simon
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #395
Tech Adept

Does anybody know the difference between:

ORI81308 WASP Rev CRF .12 Cylinder Head 6 fin
and
ORI81340 WASP Rev CRF .12 Cylinder Head 6 Fin Monoblock
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #396
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrijver99
Does anybody know the difference between:

ORI81308 WASP Rev CRF .12 Cylinder Head 6 fin
and
ORI81340 WASP Rev CRF .12 Cylinder Head 6 Fin Monoblock
While designing the engine 2 cooling solutions were tested for the cylinder head, one with two different parts, button head+cooling head, and one with only one part, engine head with cooling fins in one piece.

The one piece design has a better cooling capability and could be usefull in extreme heat conditions. That is why we decided to offer it as an optional. However it is not required 99.99% of the time, unless maybe you live in the desert or something like that

ORI81308 is the original part.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
While designing the engine 2 cooling solutions were tested for the cylinder head, one with two different parts, button head+cooling head, and one with only one part, engine head with cooling fins in one piece.

The one piece design has a better cooling capability and could be usefull in extreme heat conditions. That is why we decided to offer it as an optional. However it is not required 99.99% of the time, unless maybe you live in the desert or something like that

ORI81308 is the original part.
australia is mostly desert
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #398
B4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
australia is mostly desert
But not where we race.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #399
Tech Adept

Where in the US or online can you buy the Wasp Rev 12 and CRF pipes ?

My LHS still has the motors on backorder from Horizon.
Maxamps Batteries
SRI Raceway, Louisville KY
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #400
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrcracer
Where in the US or online can you buy the Wasp Rev 12 and CRF pipes ?

My LHS still has the motors on backorder from Horizon.
The last place that had the motors in the US was HRP and my LHS got the last one for a special order. The pipes are not available yet.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #401
Tech Adept

thanks
Maxamps Batteries
SRI Raceway, Louisville KY
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #402
Tech Apprentice

Smile

In a previous post Nano said that they should be today in the USA and that you should contact [email protected] to have informations on where to get pipes and plugs
barclayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #403
Tech Apprentice

All the pictures of the CRF clutch sets ans spares can be found here : http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Nitro+Clutches
barclayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #404
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barclayrc
All the pictures of the CRF clutch sets ans spares can be found here : http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Nitro+Clutches
Has any testing been done with the Kyosho lightweight flywheel and clutch bell? Also, what is the best application of the weights? Are all nine intended to be used or are there instances when you would only use none, one or two? Does the parts ship with some type of instruction sheet? If so, could we see a copy.

I think this is the first time I've heard of the V6 CRF Clutch. Is this applicable to on-road vehicles? The way it's written up, one might get the impression that it's for off-road vehicles.

Thanks!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #405
Tech Adept

rmd,

I think that the testing was made with the original flywheel and clutch bell but I'm not sure. The clutch was designed with all weights fitted at all times. We will have some form of instructions for the clutch with as many info as possible.

Josh and the rest of the team will be using the CRF clutch parts at the nationals this week-end.

This is what Josh wrote in his report about clutch testing : "Next, I tested with the clutch parts from Fabrice. I started with the settings as you said and it was quite good. I only made a small adjustment (clutch nut to 1.6mm) and the clutch was perfect!! Good power, nice to drive and extremely consistant!!"

Important is also the shoe/clutch bell clearance which has to be 0,5 - 0,6 mm

The CRF V6 clutch is originally meant for off-road cars (1/8th and Monster Trucks). It was also designed by the guy that designed the motor, he felt that he had to improve the clutch designs that existed because he was not satisfied with them He runs one on the Wasp .12 that is fitted to his 1/8 scale buggy
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote