R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #346
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Well my CRF had its first raceday this past weekend and there were more than a few complaints. Some had issues with its speed down the straight but the real problem turned out to be the gas miliage. Most of the grid was running TZs and a couple of 5port TZs all pitting @ just past 5min a tank but the Orion was good for 8.5min a tank with a few dirty looks and comments from a few choice racers.

Mark
Hell is that all the complaints? Only complaint I have is that I have to wait a week for mine to come in.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #347
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
That's awesome Mark! Could you share some carb setting information with us? What type of pipe were you using? Fuel?

As far as the complaints go, I guess they'll just have to put up with your car until they wise up and buy a WASP Rev.

All kidding aside, those types of complaints can't be too much fun.
Mark looks like it was super good, how much faster was your CRF on the straight ? Which fuel are you using 30% ?
Thanks
barclayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #348
Tech Elite

Hello everyone I am just back from the ROAR Electric Sedan Nats and this thread has really taken off!

I personally expected a lot of skepticism with our new engine. Why? The same thing happened when we released the V2 modified electric motor. "Marketing hype", "just a way to sell more brushes", etc were thrown about as though we take our customers for fools.

Of course most, if not all, brushed motor manufacturers have adopted the so-called hype and sell versions (and some patent infringing copies) of what CRF designed.

Like the V2 electric motor, this engine is DIFFERENT and requires some changes to established thinking. Some may not like the powerband, or are not willing to take the time and set-up their cars to get the most out of their engine. Others may not like it at all. This is OK. But the ones who take the time to optimize their package will be very satisfied.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #349
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoSkyline17
Hell is that all the complaints? Only complaint I have is that I have to wait a week for mine to come in.
Competitive advantage!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #350
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Hello everyone I am just back from the ROAR Electric Sedan Nats and this thread has really taken off!

I personally expected a lot of skepticism with our new engine. Why? The same thing happened when we released the V2 modified electric motor. "Marketing hype", "just a way to sell more brushes", etc were thrown about as though we take our customers for fools.

Of course most, if not all, brushed motor manufacturers have adopted the so-called hype and sell versions (and some patent infringing copies) of what CRF designed.

Like the V2 electric motor, this engine is DIFFERENT and requires some changes to established thinking. Some may not like the powerband, or are not willing to take the time and set-up their cars to get the most out of their engine. Others may not like it at all. This is OK. But the ones who take the time to optimize their package will be very satisfied.
Rick, the engine is awesome, we tried it with Juan in Spain and this simply outperform anything else. Juan said that the new clutch parts will even improve the already awesome performances. Now we need to learn how to adjust our cars properly and drive smoother to manage the extra power. It's like going from a Fiat to a Ferrari if you see what I mean. With all the help of your guys at team Orion Nano and Josh as well as BK we managed to take advantage of the Team Orion CRF engine, thanks a lot.
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #351
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Nano- Ever spin out or so with all that kinda power?

barclay-I do know of a region 1 driver who was able to hang with some 8th onroads at one of my local tracks with a Tim hots Novarossi motor in his VoneRRR. I wouldn't be surprised of a sedan with that powerful of a motor and tall gearing to easily run with the 8ths or even pass them.
Well I had problems the first time I ran the engine, I was using a beat up car and basically it was undriveable. I could not even touch the throttle without my car launching in the boards lol. I built a new car and then it was ok, the 2nd speed change is tough because when it happens it can make your car slide lol. With this engine you'll probably have to think twice about which place you can hit full throttle or not, compared to a normal engine.

Yes Josh was beating 1/8 cars down the straight
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #352
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Well my CRF had its first raceday this past weekend and there were more than a few complaints. Some had issues with its speed down the straight but the real problem turned out to be the gas miliage. Most of the grid was running TZs and a couple of 5port TZs all pitting @ just past 5min a tank but the Orion was good for 8.5min a tank with a few dirty looks and comments from a few choice racers.

Mark
Great news!
Glad to see more and more drivers enjoying the engine!
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #353
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Yes Josh was beating 1/8 cars down the straight
well, the Mega ZX12 is doing exactly the same at the MACH track.....
And also a 720 in hands of a factory driver is beating 80% of the 1/8 scale cars in laptimes......

But still the concept looks promissing and I hope the best for Orion on the big events.......
Old 06-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #354
Tech Fanatic

I saw a CRF running yesterday on my local track which is a long track. The guy was running this engine in an MTX-4 with 16/22 pinions and 59/53 spurs. This is very short gearing for this track. With my Sirio or TZ, I, as well as most people run 18/24 pinions and 59/53 spurs. The CRF seemed to be really week down low despite it being geared so short. When the power came on, it was very fast. It seemed to make plenty of power and RPM. The guys tried a lot of different pipes, ratios, tyre diameters and still could not get it to pick up out of corners. To be fair to the engine, he did not have a Team Orion Pipe which is recomended for this engine. I'll reserve my judgement until i see it with the correct pipe.

What fuel % are these engines shimmed for from factory. In Australia, we run 16%, and if these engines are shimmed for 30%, this might be his problem..

Last edited by Rody; 06-13-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #355
Tech Master

Rody - Actually, the engine straight from the factory is set-up to run a max. of 40%!! I haven't tested with 16% yet but I could guess that you can take out the aluminum shim, leaving only the brass one and have no problems at all!! Give it a try, I'm sure it will help. Also, check into the new CRF Clutch parts. We tested with them this weekend and they are really really good!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #356
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Rody - Actually, the engine straight from the factory is set-up to run a max. of 40%!! I haven't tested with 16% yet but I could guess that you can take out the aluminum shim, leaving only the brass one and have no problems at all!! Give it a try, I'm sure it will help. Also, check into the new CRF Clutch parts. We tested with them this weekend and they are really really good!!!
Josh, How were your laptimes with the CRF engine versus your previous engine.

Good luck at the nats
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #357
Tech Elite

Default CRF spare parts

Since Team Orion does not expect every hobby shop to be able to stock all the CRF replacement and option parts, we will be offering these items direct to consumers through Team Orion USA. We encourage everyone to check with their local outlets first, as this is usually the fastest and least expensive way purchase parts. However, if you cant find what you are looking for, please give Team Orion USA a call.

We will also have parts available (including glow plugs) at the Nats this weekend. See me or Team Orion USA racing team manager Joe Pillars beginning Wednesday.

Call me crazy, but a last minute decision means I will build a Kyosho car tomorrow and race it, equiped with a CRF Peak Diablo REV .12, this weekend. Should be fun!
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #358
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

RMD,

I am using a K-Factory missle pipe with trinity 30% fuel. I did experience the weak bottom end others mentioned but I am confident a little clutch work and lower gearing will give me low end I was missing.

Rick,

When will the glow plugs and pipe sets be available?

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #359
Tech Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to mugen.racer
Thumbs up crf

dear josh
can you tell me what pipes are you running.i am the racer who had the engine at morebank in australia . took out the aluminum shim and it comes on to the pipe down low it is better thanks for your help josh .can you post photos of the CRF Clutch parts for rrr and mugen

thanks
brad

and yours rody

crf is a great engine

Last edited by mugen.racer; 06-13-2006 at 12:52 AM.
mugen.racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 AM   #360
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen.racer
dear josh
can you tell me what pipes are you running.i am the racer who had the engine at morebank in australia . took out the aluminum shim and it comes on to the pipe down low it is better thanks for your help josh .can you post photos of the CRF Clutch parts for rrr and mugen

thanks
brad

and yours rody

crf is a great engine
Thats cool Brad. It's Nick J
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote