R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345
I doubt it as the burn speed of methanol is now the limiting factor. At 36,000 RPM The mixture doesnt have time to burn fully before the ports open. This why .21 engine can rev higher than .12s.

Cheers
AMEN... and this is without adding the side effect of needing to burn Nitromethane, who has a slower burning speed than the methanol. I wonder when will start to see green flames going out the tuned pipe (Nitro burns orange/greenish - this is caused by the burning of Nitrogen).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #257

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Looks white to me when it burns. I guess pure nitro is orange green. I believe I did see some green in the white.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #258
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Looks white to me when it burns. I guess pure nitro is orange green. I believe I did see some green in the white.
White (no color) is a little hard, you could be fooled by the methanol (it burns blue with very little color).

A white flame is when you have a surplus of oxygen raising the flame temp (I.E: Oxyacetilene torches, they start burning blue but they go to a bright white when you add oxygen to the mixture).

BTW: I've been quiet all this weeks, leaving people rave about the engine. Next week I'll get one just for a balls-out testing and see how goes and lasts this puppy, not until this I'll write a word about the engine, many things seemed pure marketing hype (all our engines are basically pumps, so talking about a 'compressor type crankshaft' seems to me hype, but... anyway I'll post my concerns about all those features when I'll test the engine).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
I was thinking just the same, damn this guy is picky...

Ok so new technology for RC engines that no one else thought of or was able to implement in RC engines, in order to get superior performance, efficiency and durability. How does that sound
Nano, do you know where did I put my fly wheel wrench? Look everywhere can't find it.
Why you say nobody was able to implement? OS and Zenoah engines use Nikasil long time ago. Actualy as I know first time it was use for rotory "Wankel" engines in RC, then on some big size engines.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #260

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Well I guess im nutty enough to try igniting nitro fuel (small amount that was a top my piston). It was a white flame.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #261
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
I was thinking just the same, damn this guy is picky...

Ok so new technology for RC engines that no one else thought of or was able to implement in RC engines, in order to get superior performance, efficiency and durability. How does that sound
Come on, how can you be talking about superior performance, efficiency and durability yet?

Let's wait what the customers will think about that when the engine has been out for a while.

What I saw on the weekend was not really breath taking but rather mediocre compared to a archaic design like my Novarossi.

Oh, btw,I saw one ofthem die really quick, just like any other engine that was turned lean instead of rich.....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #262
Tech Adept

Stephan, check the dyno testing, how is your novarossi performing vs the Wasp Rev ? Please let me know
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #263
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
Nano, do you know where did I put my fly wheel wrench? Look everywhere can't find it.
Why you say nobody was able to implement? OS and Zenoah engines use Nikasil long time ago. Actualy as I know first time it was use for rotory "Wankel" engines in RC, then on some big size engines.
You seem to be stuck on the nikasil part and forget about the rest, there is a whole list of the features of the engine on our website www.teamorion.com which has a wonderful new layout by the way. Nikasil is only one of them.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #264
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Come on, how can you be talking about superior performance, efficiency and durability yet?

Let's wait what the customers will think about that when the engine has been out for a while.

What I saw on the weekend was not really breath taking but rather mediocre compared to a archaic design like my Novarossi.

Oh, btw,I saw one ofthem die really quick, just like any other engine that was turned lean instead of rich.....
I knew from your first post in this thread that you were Mr.Sceptical

The CRF team has tested a lot of the stuff available out there. A lot of tests have been made on the track and to finalize it we even have managed to get the best results ever for a .12 engine on the dyno.

Just like any high performance equipment the engine needs proper setup to perform. I already have reports of very satisfied customers and our goal is to get 100% of customers satisfied. We are following reports closely and acting accordingly.

The drivers you claim had problems with their engines can contact us and we will look into it.

It seems it's hard for some people to open their minds to new ideas.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #265
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup2004
Stephan, check the dyno testing, how is your novarossi performing vs the Wasp Rev ? Please let me know
I did, but unfortunately, the dyno doesn't have any wheels, so I can't race with it.

I have raced together with Uriah Murnan in Atlanta for many years and I have owned a few of his engines and saw plenty of them run. When I compare the dyno readings of the CRF with a Murnan engine and compare those with what I've seen on the track, then the dyno reading don't give a real impression of track performance.

In the final last Sunday, I hit the guy with the CRF in the back half up the backstraight, and that"s no joke.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #266
Tech Elite

Quote:
I knew from your first post in this thread that you were Mr.Sceptical

The CRF team has tested a lot of the stuff available out there. A lot of tests have been made on the track and to finalize it we even have managed to get the best results ever for a .12 engine on the dyno.

Just like any high performance equipment the engine needs proper setup to perform. I already have reports of very satisfied customers and our goal is to get 100% of customers satisfied. We are following reports closely and acting accordingly.

The drivers you claim had problems with their engines can contact us and we will look into it.

It seems it's hard for some people to open their minds to new ideas.
Nano, I wouldn't say sceptical, more like realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your engine isn't good, I just say let's wait and see how it performes with the regular racer.
I'm sure that you have been doing a lot of testing with a lot of experienced people on the wheel.
Josh for example could drive the much bespoken shoe box with wheels and still be fast. He can also tune an engine when he's drunk, blind and deaf.

That doesn't mean that John Doe can do the same.

Also, I had the pleasure to learn to know Edward N. pretty well when I was living in the States and saw what he can do and what he did in engine design.

If everything you guys did in the CRF would work, why has nobody else come up with it before. Why do yo think a guy like Edward who was designing world class engines in the former USSR as a full time job, never came up with designs like that?

What I've seen in track performance so far is not bad, but it's also not revolutionary.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the engine is doing in the long run.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #267
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I know its early to even bring this up , especially when talking about how great this motor is. But due to the comment on hardness of nikasil, how long will this motors last or have lasted?

Essentially are we looking at longer lives as well or about the same?
Until now we have yet to wear out a sleeve, the only parts that have needed changing are ball bearings.

In this engine the piston does not directly touch the cylinder, it's sliding on a film of oil retained by the pores in the Nicasil. There is no binding between the piston and liner, you can even insert the piston from the top of the cylinder. What you feel when you spin the engine by hand is real compression from airtightness and not the piston binding on the cylinder. To sum it all up there is not supposed to be any mechanical wear from friction at the piston/liner level. This is why the head/cylinder alignment is very important, you must rebuild the engine head in a very precise way.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #268
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey NANO!

Good job with everything. I can't wait to run one of the engines.

Stefan - are you the average racer with little tuning ability or do you race alot? Wait till you race against someone with the Orion CRF that races as much as you and then see how things run.

Edward N - Seems your are as busy in this thread as you are in any other thread.

It seems more like other people are a little jealous of the DESIGN changes using newer TECHNOLOGY and ADVANCED materials.

I will be going out with Rick to the Gas Nationals to help out Josh and Joe if they need it.

Talk to you soon and tell Philipe I said "HI"

Steve Chamberlain
First Peak Performance/Team Orion USA employee
SCIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #269
Tech Adept

Steve, who is going to race with the engine ?
WorldCup2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIDA

Stefan - are you the average racer with little tuning ability or do you race alot? Wait till you race against someone with the Orion CRF that races as much as you and then see how things run.

Steve Chamberlain
First Peak Performance/Team Orion USA employee
Oh, so what you are saying is that this engine is only for the experienced racer?

The guys I ran with have experience and usually are pretty good tuning engines... except the one who fried his

You guys are way to defensive about this engine. Let it proove itself, that's all I'm saying.