R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Need Help Identifying This Engine (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/1093196-need-help-identifying-engine.html)

HK500Pilot 12-10-2021 09:59 PM

Need Help Identifying This Engine

Hello everyone, looking to see if anyone could properly identify this Novarossi engine? I’m looking for the correct call numbers and name if anyone could tell me what it is and even possibly direct me to a schematic showing part numbers. I would like to replace the blue heatsink if I can find out what the actual part number would be. I don’t necessarily even need to replace it with a blue heatsink, even a purple one would work for me if someone could tell me what to search and look for. Even if someone has a heatsink that they are willing to sell that is still pleasing to the eye I could even be interested in something like that.

Thanks for any help that could be sent my way.....

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...c65abd80a.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...343b27048.jpeg

Roelof 12-11-2021 02:00 AM

First of all the head is mounted in the wrong way, the milled slots in the middle of the head provide an airflow to cool the plug.

Then if it is the original head then it is a 359 and it is old.....
https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-...ssi-359-a.html
You can mount any Novarossi head or novarossi based like MAX, RB TOP, REX and some othe Nova based brands. But only normal heads, no low-cg heads.
You will face more problems with this engine, a P2 rod is used, that will be hard to find.....

My opinion is to invest not too much into this engine.

HK500Pilot 12-11-2021 11:43 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. The engine has ran great for me. Holds a nice steady idle and is proving some great power as well.

So exactly how does the head mount? This is the way it was mounted when I bought the car and didn’t think anything about it being installed wrong.

Thank you very much for the help.

Roelof 12-11-2021 12:57 PM

You just have to rotate the head 90 degrees, then the airflow will also go through the middle of the head and cools down the glowplug

davidl 12-11-2021 02:22 PM

This was an awesome engine in its time. NR was experimenting with piston materials and different crankshaft pin diameters. This one has the smallest pin diameter NR sold to the public. I don't recall if this one had a forged or cast piston. I was not very good at tuning and picking the right header/pipe combo when I ran this engine. But I got some pretty good finishes non-the-less. Roeloff can probably expand on my comments as he is in Europe and saw/used more of this engine than I.

HK500Pilot 12-11-2021 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15853028)
You just have to rotate the head 90 degrees, then the airflow will also go through the middle of the head and cools down the glowplug

Thank you for the reply. After looking at it I see what you mean, it makes sense. Thank you for letting me know that, it didn’t even cross my mind.

HK500Pilot 12-11-2021 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidl (Post 15853051)
This was an awesome engine in its time. NR was experimenting with piston materials and different crankshaft pin diameters. This one has the smallest pin diameter NR sold to the public. I don't recall if this one had a forged or cast piston. I was not very good at tuning and picking the right header/pipe combo when I ran this engine. But I got some pretty good finishes non-the-less. Roeloff can probably expand on my comments as he is in Europe and saw/used more of this engine than I.

Thank you for passing this information along. I was looking for some history behind this engine and I appreciate your comments. I’ve been racing electric for awhile and really wanted to get into nitro. Long story short this motor was part of the 8th scale package I purchased here on RCtech. I grew up with nitro engines and flying planes but that was a long time ago and these engines are quite different all together. But there’s nothing like a well tuned nitro engine singing it’s song so to speak.
I also have a Novarossi Murnan Mephisto that I’m planning to use in a Mugen Seiki have coming next week. I put about 3 hours or so on the 359 over the summer and it performed very well. I had a feeling the engine was older but it got me on the track and I had a great time with it.
It sounds like parts are hard to find which kinda bothers me now but I’ll run it next summer and just try not to worry about it.

Thank you for your help. If anyone else that has used this engine in the past wants to chime in I’d appreciate it.

nitrodude 12-12-2021 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by davidl (Post 15853051)

I had one of these too and it was a very good motor, lots of bottom end, with a very good power curve. Mine was fast enough that a friend asked to take it to the worlds in Lostallo.

HK500Pilot 12-12-2021 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nitrodude (Post 15853327)
I had one of these too and it was a very good motor, lots of bottom end, with a very good power curve. Mine was fast enough that a friend asked to take it to the worlds in Lostallo.

Its been fairly easy to tune for me it seems. I was expecting more of a hassle in order to get it running correctly. It holds idle nice and also comes to life fairly easy in low speed to higher throttle settings. The engine is working great for me allowing me to get out on the track to turn laps and not have to worry about just keeping the motor running.....thank you for the reply.

HK500Pilot 12-12-2021 04:11 PM

I’ve been meaning to ask, what seems to be the best glow plug for this engine? I’m generally running in temperatures from 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit but generally fairly humid.

Thanks for the help!

davidl 12-14-2021 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by HK500Pilot (Post 15853376)
I’ve been meaning to ask, what seems to be the best glow plug for this engine? I’m generally running in temperatures from 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit but generally fairly humid.

Thanks for the help!

I have always liked the NR7 in the engines from this time period. Don't know if you can find some so consider the OS R7 or R6 because they should be available. They fit the cone on the head without damage.

HK500Pilot 12-14-2021 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidl (Post 15853876)
I have always liked the NR7 in the engines from this time period. Don't know if you can find some so consider the OS R7 or R6 because they should be available. They fit the cone on the head without damage.

I was on a vendor site over the weekend looking at glow plugs and certain plugs said do not use O.S. Plugs in Italian built engine Such as Novarossi, Top, RB etc, then other O.S. Plugs made no mention that they were not to be used in Italian engines. So I guess just to straighten this issue out....an O.S. Glowplug “can” be used in a Novarossi engine?

nitrodude 12-14-2021 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by HK500Pilot (Post 15853901)
I was on a vendor site over the weekend looking at glow plugs and certain plugs said do not use O.S. Plugs in Italian built engine Such as Novarossi, Top, RB etc, then other O.S. Plugs made no mention that they were not to be used in Italian engines. So I guess just to straighten this issue out....an O.S. Glowplug “can” be used in a Novarossi engine?

I used O.S. plugs on Nova engines going back to the Virtus days, they work just fine. Probably Nova not wanting to loose money to O.S. from plug sales.

HK500Pilot 12-19-2021 06:17 PM

I came across some O.S. plugs while doing a little online shopping this weekend. They should be delivered sometime this week.
So I guess I’ll just keep the same head on it and just run it as it is. I was hoping to make it look a little nicer in the off season and get it looking better for the upcoming season.
i appreciate all the replies.

nitrodude 12-20-2021 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by HK500Pilot (Post 15855639)
I came across some O.S. plugs while doing a little online shopping this weekend. They should be delivered sometime this week.
So I guess I’ll just keep the same head on it and just run it as it is. I was hoping to make it look a little nicer in the off season and get it looking better for the upcoming season.
i appreciate all the replies.

GSR Plugs are rebranded O.S. plugs, they're a little lower priced. DeSoto Racing carries them.