Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
1/8 GT Motor choice - best bottom end? >

1/8 GT Motor choice - best bottom end?

Like Tree3Likes

1/8 GT Motor choice - best bottom end?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 GT Motor choice - best bottom end?

Hi all

What are the better motors currently being used for On Road GT

I'm keen to understand best motor for bottom end out of corners. From what I have heard the Nova Mito35 5 port seems pretty good.

Top end is also important and am running on an average back straight length (not a long straight, around 90-100m)

Also what pipe/header combinations do you suggest with your motor choice.

I am also looking for at least 7.30minutes runtime per tank.

Thanks

Jeremy
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

get yourself the WERKS GT with the WERKS 2068 pipe. Perfect all around combo with excellent top speed and lots of torque. Runtime of 7.30 has never been an issue for me. Run it with 25% Nitro and OS P7 or P8 plug.
golgi likes this.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For me the MITO 21 GT5/17 is the best and quickest GT engine out there. Easily 8 minutes plus depending on the track. I've had 8:30 consistently. Incredibly stable tune and will hold a tune all day long unlike some other engines. Go with the Mito, I promise you won't be sorry that you did.

Run it with either a 9886 or 2015 pipe (depending if your rules allow a 2 chamber pipe or not) and the 41032 manifold. C6TGFB or C7TGFB if it's hot out.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
For me the MITO 21 GT5/17 is the best and quickest GT engine out there. Easily 8 minutes plus depending on the track. I've had 8:30 consistently. Incredibly stable tune and will hold a tune all day long unlike some other engines. Go with the Mito, I promise you won't be sorry that you did.

Run it with either a 9886 or 2015 pipe (depending if your rules allow a 2 chamber pipe or not) and the 41032 manifold. C6TGFB or C7TGFB if it's hot out.
What do you think of the Ison GT? I am also searching a good engine according to the international rules and suitable for short to medium sized tracks.

Edit: Read in the Novarossi thread, that you used the Ison, but prefer the new mito gt5 (17) engine, because the mito has a wider power range compared to the Ison. However, i have a 2041 pipe and can get the Ison for my GT8n. But i also read in the Novarossi engine thread, that the Ison is discontinued. Does this also mean there wil be no more spare parts available?

Last edited by cerberoz; 03-13-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cerberoz View Post
What do you think of the Ison GT? I am also searching a good engine according to the international rules and suitable for short to medium sized tracks.

Edit: Read in the Novarossi thread, that you used the Ison, but prefer the new mito gt5 (17) engine, because the mito has a wider power range compared to the Ison. However, i have a 2041 pipe and can get the Ison for my GT8n. But i also read in the Novarossi engine thread, that the Ison is discontinued. Does this also mean there wil be no more spare parts available?
The ISON GT is also a good engine and I have one of those as well but the MITO is definitely quite a bit quicker. My ISON is now my wet engine and I have 2 MITO's for dry weather. You can still get spares for the ISON no issues there But I would recommend you go for the MITO GT and for the record both engines are 5 port and legal according to International rules.
Pedro Jesus likes this.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

The ISON GT is also a good engine and I have one of those as well but the MITO is definitely quite a bit quicker. My ISON is now my wet engine and I have 2 MITO's for dry weather. You can still get spares for the ISON no issues there But I would recommend you go for the MITO GT and for the record both engines are 5 port and legal according to International rules.
Thanks dan,
and just to clarify, because you mentioned both engines are legal in int. GT8, booster/bypass exhaust-ports are so legal in GT8?
Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cerberoz View Post
Thanks dan,
and just to clarify, because you mentioned both engines are legal in int. GT8, booster/bypass exhaust-ports are so legal in GT8?
Yes. The rule is that you can only see 5 openings plus the exhaust port when the piston is at bottom dead centre. Both engines are legal
cerberoz likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I choose the Picco over the Mito.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes. The rule is that you can only see 5 openings plus the exhaust port when the piston is at bottom dead centre. Both engines are legal
they really should do away with that rule!! it was made to keep cost down which really don't matter now a days with the pricing 7 ports same as 5.

also most are cheating using 7 port and no one ever opens the motor to check..

the tire rule helps a lot but not the motor rule...
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 AM
Tech Addict

I have one old document (2017) that say the exhaust duration must not be more then 160 degrees total, but the new (2018) says nothing about this.
Have they changed this rule? What are the current engines?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ralphierace13 View Post
they really should do away with that rule!! it was made to keep cost down which really don't matter now a days with the pricing 7 ports same as 5.

also most are cheating using 7 port and no one ever opens the motor to check..

the tire rule helps a lot but not the motor rule...
Also even a 3-port engine can run as fast as a 9 port if you give it the same timings.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Also even a 3-port engine can run as fast as a 9 port if you give it the same timings.
`Can someone explain then why is this restriction for 5 ports?? I supposed if I have more ports it will be capable of more RPM?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

It is more like a market thing, 5 port engines do not cost that much than 9 port but they are also made slower than a 9 port. Technical a limit on the port count is useless because timings makes an engine, not the amount of ports.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

It's a great way of making people buy a $2 operation for $200 extra, or so.

Does anyone know if the "160 degree rule" has changed?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

In the EFRA rules so far I have seen no 160 degree rule. But a 160 degree very wide port will act as a normal higher timed port so such a rule is still useless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service