Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Ohio Racing
Need help tuning nitro in North East Ohio >

Need help tuning nitro in North East Ohio

Need help tuning nitro in North East Ohio

Old 07-24-2022, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help tuning nitro in North East Ohio

Hi all,
I am new to this hobby. I have just unboxed a RTR Kyosho Mp9 tki4. For the past 2 days I have been trying to tune it. First issue was that I could not even start it. After countless attempt, I realized that the factory setting for the idle gap was almost non-existence. After I have adjusted that, It fired up. I have the car idle pretty good. I have broken in the engine for about 8 tanks just idling. Top end is ok with blue smoke and sounds ok.

But my real issue is the low throttle response. The car does not move when at 50% or less throttle. Engine revs but the gears are not spinning. I have read that it could be the brake, but the car can be move around by hand without any resistance. Only at 100% throttle the car will move. This is a brand new car. What I am afraid is a mechanical issue thats beyond my knowledge. So it could be tuning or mechanical.

At this point I am willing to bring my car to anyone near north east ohio to help me. I have no problem paying you a fee for it.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 07-27-2022, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Make sure your throttle servo is set up correct and it will open proportional to the throttle movement. as with EPA settings.
If the engine is running when you advance throttle, I would inspect the clutch spring. The brake should be slight drag until you open throttle. I wouldn't adjust the needle settings until you can drive at low speed and see how it responds. Tip for starting a new engine: loosen the glow plug 1/4 turn from tight to release some of the compression when starting and leave glow pug ignitor on to warm engine up then remove the clip and tighten plug.

FY:i if your kit dosen't have a fuel filter in tank or came with one Get one.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:24 AM
Tech Rookie

After 8 tanks of break in, it seems it is moving at lower rpm but still not responsive.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T View Post
Make sure your throttle servo is set up correct and it will open proportional to the throttle movement. as with EPA settings.
If the engine is running when you advance throttle, I would inspect the clutch spring. The brake should be slight drag until you open throttle. I wouldn't adjust the needle settings until you can drive at low speed and see how it responds. Tip for starting a new engine: loosen the glow plug 1/4 turn from tight to release some of the compression when starting and leave glow pug ignitor on to warm engine up then remove the clip and tighten plug.

FY:i if your kit dosen't have a fuel filter in tank or came with one Get one.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

After checking the throttle linkages, you can try adjusting the low needle 1/16 turn in. If it improves, try driving it. Don't adjust the high.