Like Tree32Likes

Top 5 best FUELS!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
The only magical ingredients are the additives above and beyond oil, methanol, and nitromethane. Corrosion inhibitors are a bonus, but not necessary if proper after run maintenance is followed. Wetting agents are a bit of snake oil in my eyes. They say it makes he fuel flow better and disperse better.. Hardly noticeable to most operators. The fact that my homebrew fuel runs cooler and performs as well or better than a commercial fuel tells me those extra additives and wordy words doesnít do much other than make it cost more.
maybe you should start an RC fuel company?

the more the merrier

you never know, might be a success
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
maybe you should start an RC fuel company?

the more the merrier

you never know, might be a success
Slow Fuel Inc
Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mlax View Post
Slow Fuel Inc
sounds good

byron fuels ftw
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Nitropro
Flashpoint/nitrotane... just my picks
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Roelof,

I got this info about Methanol matter from the VP Hobby Fuel Manager that I met at the Pre-WC in Las Vegas back in 2016.

So, I do not BS'ing about the story..

Cheers..

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Nice bullsh*t story.... If you can buy it directy from a chemical supplier you can choose the purity what ever you want but the most pure methanol comes with a price, the same counts for nitro.
Do you know what is used in commercial fuel? No, and they never gonna tell you if a less pure methanol is used.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Cardiak,

Flash Point is surely made by VP. As well as Nitrothane.

Cheers..

Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
You said that you had issues with VP fuel. I believe VP makes Flash Point's fuel.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
Fuel is such a touchy subject. Everyone is an expert.
There's so much opinion and placebo in this hobby.. just like anything else, I suppose.
just read my post above, there is no magic to it.
used oil is critical of course.
they all want to sell their "magic formula".

my partner and i just started all this because we wanted to know whats all about that fuel "magic" and very quickly figured out there is nothing superspecial...

even "special fuel color" is sold in supersmall bottles for extreme prices.
itīs a funny moment when you make chemical tests and figure out itīs just lame crappy cheap printer color....
we put it in just for fun and the cool look. haha...

customers called
"hey its all good, runs really great. but my internals are shiny blank with a red-ish layer on it. is this normal?"

answer:
"oh no worries, take a look at your fuel can you ordered is red, right? because you were wishing for a cool deep red fuel, thats why."
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stanleyw808 View Post
Hello Roelof,

I got this info about Methanol matter from the VP Hobby Fuel Manager that I met at the Pre-WC in Las Vegas back in 2016.

So, I do not BS'ing about the story..

Cheers..
Ofcourse no fuel company will tell you the real deal and maybe you are right.

But when you open a fresh can of the same fuel and you have to retune your engine then for sure you did not get the same and to be honest I have seen that many times.
With all those companies and their suppliers holding a short stock due today economics you do see that they have alternetive channels to get materials but saddly it is not always the same, but it seems better to deliver something than nothing and loose customers.....
Old 02-09-2018, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder how many people feel that these tiny toy engines are set and forget type of thing. I’ve yet to run an engine that was truly a set and forget affair IRT needle settings. Running the same exact fuel from one day to the next almost always requires a slight tweak of the needle valve.

But I haven’t handled a thousand engines.. What do I know..

And IRT the comment about starting my own fuel company - I’d do no such thing. Once you start involving your hobby as a business venture, it loses the fun factor to a point on the hobby side of things. It becomes work rather than a hobby and it’s no longer the same. I mix my own fuel for a few reasons. First and foremost is cost. Second is the ability to custom blend fuel. I have several types of engines (cylinder construction) that each has a specific fuel requirement. Ferrous piston/cylinder engines need one type, ringed engines need a different type, and ringless tapered bore engines need a different type. Most fuel companies blend fuels on a one-size-fits-all premise. This is just not how it should be. Some companies will custom blend fuel, but at the same high cost (hazmat shipping fees make it cost prohibitive and is why fuel is so expensive in some parts of the country and possibly even in the world.) as buying the OSFA off the shelf fuels.

If someone swears by a commercial fuel and has never tried blending their own fuel, I’d suggest at least trying it. If for nothing else than just the experience of doing it and seeing the results firsthand - and I mean blending it yourself; not having a fuel company blend it for you.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stanleyw808 View Post
Hello Cardiak,

Flash Point is surely made by VP. As well as Nitrothane.

Cheers..
are they made or blended by? because werks is also blended by vp with the lube package provided by werks.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Prophet

I wonder how many people feel that these tiny toy engines are set and forget type of thing. Iíve yet to run an engine that was truly a set and forget affair IRT needle settings. Running the same exact fuel from one day to the next almost always requires a slight tweak of the needle valve.

But I havenít handled a thousand engines.. What do I know..

And IRT the comment about starting my own fuel company - Iíd do no such thing. Once you start involving your hobby as a business venture, it loses the fun factor to a point on the hobby side of things. It becomes work rather than a hobby and itís no longer the same. I mix my own fuel for a few reasons. First and foremost is cost. Second is the ability to custom blend fuel. I have several types of engines (cylinder construction) that each has a specific fuel requirement. Ferrous piston/cylinder engines need one type, ringed engines need a different type, and ringless tapered bore engines need a different type. Most fuel companies blend fuels on a one-size-fits-all premise. This is just not how it should be. Some companies will custom blend fuel, but at the same high cost (hazmat shipping fees make it cost prohibitive and is why fuel is so expensive in some parts of the country and possibly even in the world.) as buying the OSFA off the shelf fuels.

If someone swears by a commercial fuel and has never tried blending their own fuel, Iíd suggest at least trying it. If for nothing else than just the experience of doing it and seeing the results firsthand - and I mean blending it yourself; not having a fuel company blend it for you.
i was good friends with guys here locally that 100% blended his own fuel .... consistent? no ,,, run good? sometimes ....lol

but i got it cheap ..... sooooo

i entrust byron fuels .... its that simple .... not because of any reason other than i have seen the best results out of byron fuels in regards to engine life and performance
Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
i was good friends with guys here locally that 100% blended his own fuel .... consistent? no ,,, run good? sometimes ....lol

but i got it cheap ..... sooooo

i entrust byron fuels .... its that simple .... not because of any reason other than i have seen the best results out of byron fuels in regards to engine life and performance
Fair enough. Thereís more than one way to skin a cat in this hobby.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Hello HaulinBass,

Ah Yes, Werks Fuel is also made by VP. As far as I heard that each Fuel Blend has a different Oil Content in it. I heard that Flash Point is similar to Nitrothane, VP Tessmann Edition has only Synthetic Oil on it, while VP Prorace Blend has a mix of Synthetic and Castor Oil on it. As for Werks, I only heard that it made by VP but the Oil mixture content and type might different among other Blends.

But, I do not know the exact number of percentage, that would be their most important thing that they will kept undisclosed, I guess..

Cheers..

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
are they made or blended by? because werks is also blended by vp with the lube package provided by werks.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Tech Champion

I wonder how many people feel that these tiny toy engines are set and forget type of thing. I’ve yet to run an engine that was truly a set and forget affair IRT needle settings. Running the same exact fuel from one day to the next almost always requires a slight tweak of the needle valve.
Most top drivers going to a race start the race with a fresh can of fuel. Not because it is fresh but because they know they will use the whole race the same fuel.

I had a same issue at the worlds in Argentina. There was a handout fuel and during the warmup the engine was running fine but due short time my pitmate had refill the fuel bottle, that did came from another can and my engine was running weird and it seemed hot. My 1/16th final was thrown away. More drivers had tuning issues.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

I must be doing something very wrong, from spring to fall or morning to evening I usually only need to adjust an hour or two.
Though the difference between if I run at home or on a track can be pretty significant.

If you're going to blend small batches at home it's best to use a scale so you can go by the density of each component, you will also get a more accurate reading that way.
There are other aspects as well that will impact on how consistent the fuel will behave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service