Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree32Likes

Top 5 best FUELS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone ever use mx racing fuel? A lot of local guys run it but can't find any info on it
Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 AM
Tech Lord

For mixing fuel just go to a drugstore and order one of these:

I have a 1 liter version and it is good to mix fuels accurate in small and larger amounts.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof

I have a 1 liter version and it is good to mix fuels accurate in small and larger amounts.
I guess we all have different experiences, I used them and didn't like them, a scale is more convenient and repeatable for me.
I do use them for mixing 2 stroke gas though.
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Most top drivers going to a race start the race with a fresh can of fuel. Not because it is fresh but because they know they will use the whole race the same fuel.

I had a same issue at the worlds in Argentina. There was a handout fuel and during the warmup the engine was running fine but due short time my pitmate had refill the fuel bottle, that did came from another can and my engine was running weird and it seemed hot. My 1/16th final was thrown away. More drivers had tuning issues.
In a race environment, it would make perfect sense to use a fresh jug of fuel. Eliminates a few variables anyway - or the idea is to anyway. In the event of a bad jug of fuel - well, you’ll find a new variable I guess.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroVein
I must be doing something very wrong, from spring to fall or morning to evening I usually only need to adjust an hour or two.
Though the difference between if I run at home or on a track can be pretty significant.

If you're going to blend small batches at home it's best to use a scale so you can go by the density of each component, you will also get a more accurate reading that way.
There are other aspects as well that will impact on how consistent the fuel will behave.
That’s usually what I find. A small tweak is usually all that’s needed. We have a bigger climate swing here where I live, so morning to afternoon may require 1/16-1/8 turn on the main needle. The idle needle doesn’t usually need adjustment unless the ambient air is dramatically different than the last time the engine ran. I don’t typically need to adjust the needle from one can (batch) of fuel to the next unless I change the fuel’s composition.

I use a scale for blending fuel - I weigh a given volume of each component before blending fuel to ensure accuracy. My basement is a consistent 65F and 25% RH, so I typically get the same component weight. I use a spreadsheet I made for doing all of the calculations for me including the fuel’s cost.
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I guess we all have different experiences, I used them and didn't like them, a scale is more convenient and repeatable for me.
I do use them for mixing 2 stroke gas though.
I don’t like to mix all of the components together in one container and then transfer to another. Less exposure to moisture by blending in one container and less work moving from one container to another. This is the beauty of using a scale. Add component 1, zero scale. Add component 2, zero scale, etc.
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Soyer
Anyone ever use mx racing fuel? A lot of local guys run it but can't find any info on it
Excellent fuel, I use 16% for GT and 25% in buggy. I rate it as highly as Runnertime. I've tried many brands and Runnertime and Maxima are the best. Maxima is cheaper and locally available, so that's my choice
Old 02-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
That’s usually what I find. A small tweak is usually all that’s needed. We have a bigger climate swing here where I live, so morning to afternoon may require 1/16-1/8 turn on the main needle. The idle needle doesn’t usually need adjustment unless the ambient air is dramatically different than the last time the engine ran. I don’t typically need to adjust the needle from one can (batch) of fuel to the next unless I change the fuel’s composition.

I use a scale for blending fuel - I weigh a given volume of each component before blending fuel to ensure accuracy. My basement is a consistent 65F and 25% RH, so I typically get the same component weight. I use a spreadsheet I made for doing all of the calculations for me including the fuel’s cost.
There can be some difference depending on the oil package on how the engine reacts to climate changes, but it depends mostly on how you want it to tune from the start.

There shouldn't be any big differences between batches of oil, so going just by weight is usually safer and more accurate, but sure you could always try a sample to see that everything is where it should be.
Well I guess it's two ways you can do it, spreadsheet or metric system.

I don’t like to mix all of the components together in one container and then transfer to another. Less exposure to moisture by blending in one container and less work moving from one container to another. This is the beauty of using a scale. Add component 1, zero scale. Add component 2, zero scale, etc.
It depends on what fuel I'm mixing, some get more consistent when you blend them in a certain order, some don't.
You can flush a container with some fresh methanol to make sure there isn't any unnecessary moisture too. I'm usually more concerned of exposing myself to methanol, then exposing it temporarily. But I do agree that it's best to keep it to an absolute minimum.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I usually only check the weight of the components if the ambient temp changes more than a couple degrees. The fluctuation in volume over a few degrees difference is very little. I do it seasonally just to check that it’s the same as it was the previous season. Nothing crazy or dramatic.

Last edited by RCTecher12; 02-10-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

I usually only check the weight of the components if the ambient temp changes more than a couple degrees. The fluctuation in weight over a few degrees difference is very little. I do it seasonally just to check that it’s the same as it was the previous season. Nothing crazy or dramatic.
Using weight will make sure there isn't any percentage differences due to temperature, the volume changes, not the weight.
But as I said, different batches can be checked.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Using weight will make sure there isn't any percentage differences due to temperature, the volume changes, not the weight.
But as I said, different batches can be checked.
That’s what I meant. I’ll edit my post to reflect what I was thinking and not what I typed.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Roelof,

You should try to find the Class A Measuring Cylinder from Chemical Supplies Store, it will give You more accurate reading with tighter tolerance division gratings.

But the weighing method seems to better I think..

Cheers..

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have used Byron's Fuel w/11% oil for 10+ years.

Mixing your own fuel - really?? Good luck with that!! I got into RC cars for the racing and relaxation. Its bad enough with the car maintenance, tire gluing, cleaning, fixing, charging, setups, painting, travel, etc. I'll let the professionals mix the fuel and buy it from them. Than I'll spend the time saved running the fuel.

While your mixing your RC fuel - you might as well mix your paint, glue, grease, thread locker, milk, soda, energy drink, gasoline, etc.

Sorry - I don't get it, to each his own, I guess.
J.Whiting likes this.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMKinWI
I have used Byron's Fuel w/11% oil for 10+ years.

Mixing your own fuel - really?? Good luck with that!! I got into RC cars for the racing and relaxation. Its bad enough with the car maintenance, tire gluing, cleaning, fixing, charging, setups, painting, travel, etc. I'll let the professionals mix the fuel and buy it from them. Than I'll spend the time saved running the fuel.

While your mixing your RC fuel - you might as well mix your paint, glue, grease, thread locker, milk, soda, energy drink, gasoline, etc.

Sorry - I don't get it, to each his own, I guess.
It takes less than 5 minutes to mix a gallon of fuel - and that’s if I have to change all of the data in my spreadsheet to tell me what the fuel mix needs to be on the scale. As I said before, if you haven’t tried it, you should try it before knocking it.

Along the way, you learn a few things. Like how well nitromethane works for cleaning things - it’s a good glue & paint remover. After all, nitromethane is used as part of a cleaning solvent in dry cleaning among other things. Castor oil makes fantastic soap. Etc.

It’s a hobby, fellas. Everyone does it differently.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

It takes less than 5 minutes to mix a gallon of fuel - and that’s if I have to change all of the data in my spreadsheet to tell me what the fuel mix needs to be on the scale. As I said before, if you haven’t tried it, you should try it before knocking it.

Along the way, you learn a few things. Like how well nitromethane works for cleaning things - it’s a good glue & paint remover. After all, nitromethane is used as part of a cleaning solvent in dry cleaning among other things. Castor oil makes fantastic soap. Etc.

It’s a hobby, fellas. Everyone does it differently.
I'm going to need some gallons of 30/11 from you soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.