R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 06-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Team Associated .15X Bearings

I don't have much experience with nitro engines, but during my short time in this hobby I have come across a number of bearings...

Is it just me, or do these bearings especially SUCK BAD? I just finished converting this from pull start to non pull start, and spinning the crankshaft does not give me a warm fuzzy.

What's the process for replacing bearings? What can I expect to spend for good engine bearings and would it even be worth it for an engine like this? (read as: the bearings probably aren't the only thing that sucks!!)

Cheers ~ Jason
PerryCodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Hello sir.

Did you find any info? A friend just gave me a GT2 (wow) and very light TLC has been needed so far. I guess this is now labeled as a "vintage" lol.
Supashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Not specific to the AE .15X engine - but I did do a ton of research on nitro engines in general, which gave me the courage necessary to break open the black box.

Once you've got a nitro engine completely disassembled, lying in front of you on the table... it's amazing just how simple they actually are!! Especially non-pullstart engines...

I used an O.S. .12CV-RX as my initial test subject. It came to me from ebay over the winter - when I initially tried starting it - and failed. I shelved it deciding that spring/summer would be a better time to get it running. What I did not know at the time was how easy it is for the steel parts to start rusting... especially if you don't take care to FULLY remove all fuel before storage!! Now - after seeing the inside of an engine that I would use after run oil on if it was going to sit for more than a day or two - I have resorted to using after run oil after EVERY run period. The rear bearing and crankshaft are especially susceptible.

And with regards to the bearings - they are very easy to change - no special tools necessary (though in some "trouble" cases, they may make the job much easier)... Once you've got the engine down to just the crankcase and two bearings, you put it in an oven preheated to 325 for 12-15 minutes... pull it out and pop that sucker on a piece of wood... out that rear bearing comes. For the front one, I grabbed a properly-sized dowel from the hardware store (for the .12 O.S., 3/8" was the perfect diameter) - one pop with a hammer and that one came out just as easy as the first.

I then let the engine fully cool so I could thoroughly clean it out. Then repeat the heating process in reverse to install the new bearings (which were put in the freezer to do the opposite of what the crankcase in the oven is doing).

I have yet to either hear from someone or do my own research on the quality of bearings. I haven't touched the .15X other than to convert it from pullstart to non-pullstart. And for the handful of O.S. engines I have (.12 x 3, .15, and .18), I've replaced rusted main bearings with the same bearing from O.S.

One thing I've had to keep telling myself - and something you should keep in mind with your new GT2 - THESE AREN'T RACE TRUCKS ANYMORE!!! I've been spending money on my GT like it is... And for the most part, it's a waste. Yeah - it's the best running GT that one can build currently - but who gives a shit? It's money that I probably should have put into a new B6d

Cheers.
PerryCodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

@perrycodes ...

Thank you sir for the reply. I have not spent alot of money but the GT was suffering from a frontal crash. I just fired it up for the first time yesterday and have been easing a tune to it... it obviously sat for awhile but everything engine wise seems in order.
Supashawn is offline   Reply With Quote