Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Another Bearing Question: Ceramic or Not >

Another Bearing Question: Ceramic or Not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By PerryCodes
  • 1 Post By houston

Another Bearing Question: Ceramic or Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Front Bearing: Will Ceramic Make a Difference?

So... I'm replacing the bearings on an engine. There is a company that offers a ceramic bearing for the front, but only steel for the rear. Would there even be much of a benefit to replace just the front bearing with a ceramic one? Or should they both be ceramic to realize any sort of benefit?

Thanks!

Last edited by PerryCodes; 07-24-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Changing title to match question
Old 07-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PerryCodes
So... I'm replacing the bearings on an engine. There is a company that offers a ceramic bearing for the front, but only steel for the rear. Would there even be much of a benefit to replace just the front bearing with a ceramic one? Or should they both be ceramic to realize any sort of benefit?

Thanks!
Ceramics don't like dust and dirt, so unless your running something like the Buku bearing caps on your crankcase go for a steel front bearing. Starter box loading also isn't favorable with front ceramics due to making the balls "skid" instead of roll on cold starts.
Main ceramics give a small performance increase, so worthwhile doing if your a serious racer. For play, just go steel front and rear.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
Tech Lord

Have you ever used the search function, this question pops up several times a month....

Yes, on paper ceramics are better, in reality the difference will not be noticed by many racers. Yes, when an original steel bearing did go bad and you place a ceramic you will notice an improvement but the same improvement will be noticed as well with a new steel bearing because the worn one did give performance loss.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof
Have you ever used the search function, this question pops up several times a month....
No... Search Function? What is that? Could you please explain it to me?

Of course I have. And "several times a month" is quite the overstatement... Not counting my topic, there have been exactly ELEVEN topics with the word "ceramic" in the title since May of 2011. It may seem like it's brought up regularly... But no... it's not.

Besides... my question isn't just the typical "Which is better - Ceramic or Steel?" that comes up "regularly" ... Perhaps I chose a poor title. (I tried changing it, but this forum framework doesn't change the entire thread title when the first post is changed like phpBB does ). I'm asking whether using ceramic in the just the front would offer any benefits. I'm very glad I did ask the question, because as grizz1 points out... there is a scenario that I didn't know about - nor had I read about in the other 11 topics:

Originally Posted by grizz1
Starter box loading also isn't favorable with front ceramics due to making the balls "skid" instead of roll on cold starts.
And for those readers who have never used the search function, but interested in the opposite scenario - ceramic in the main and steel in the front - it HAS already been discussed: http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...r-bearing.html

Warm Regards ~ Jason
slodsm and offroad dude like this.

Last edited by PerryCodes; 07-24-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PerryCodes
No... Search Function? What is that? Could you please explain it to me?

Of course I have. And "several times a month" is quite the overstatement... Not counting my topic, there have been exactly ELEVEN topics with the word "ceramic" in the title since May of 2011. It may seem like it's brought up regularly... But no... it's not.

Besides... my question isn't just the typical "Which is better - Ceramic or Steel?" that comes up "regularly" ... Perhaps I chose a poor title. (I tried changing it, but this forum framework doesn't change the entire thread title when the first post is changed like phpBB does ). I'm asking whether using ceramic in the just the front would offer any benefits. I'm very glad I did ask the question, because as grizz1 points out... there is a scenario that I didn't know about - nor had I read about in the other 11 topics:

And for those readers who have never used the search function, but interested in the opposite scenario - ceramic in the main and steel in the front - it HAS already been discussed: http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...r-bearing.html

Warm Regards ~ Jason
honestly the quality of the bearing and clearances it is built to has more of the benefit then just ceramic or steel .... novarossi literally makes/uses some of the best bearings in the industry for micromotors ..

novarossi steel rear main bearing is better than most manufacturers ceramic rear main bearings ...

happy motorin'
am likes this.