R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #46
Tech Adept

Well that was kind of my point to it... I was noticing all the features that you usually see on a $400 engine was one other things grab my eye with the PICCO BOOST , & on the other hand EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW FORGIVING A O.S. can be with the tune... The PICCO & THE O.S. engine's i've seen run back in the day... I was impressed with the O.S V99 & the PICCO 01.... That PICCO 01 is still running to this day... There are So many engine's out now it's very easy to end up with a $100+ paPer weight after a gallon or two... I'm sure someone's going to say it was my tune,but that was not the case... He'll all the crappy disappointing engine's i've bought I've could of had 2 or 3 top shilf engine's... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!I just think it's time to step it up if I want to be competitive & have fun doing it...
Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor View Post
I've owned picco's before, just not in the last 10 years. Hell probably longer at this point... last picco I had was on a kanai 2 buggy!I am pretty sure that the reason people say they are hard to tune is because they like a different tune than nova and os. Piccos are happy with a really rich bottom end as compared to nova. If you tune a nova as rich as piccos like, I think the nova would bearly get out of its own way lol.

I find that guys who say they are hard to tune are often the ones who have been running another brand for a while. Piccos just march to the beat of their own drummer
Why would you want to race with a rich tune? Rich tune = less run time...its that simple. My first rc nitro buggy was the Kyosho Integra Land jump. Could not race it, I was the only one around with a nitro buggy. My first truggy raced was a HB lightning stadium pro, think it was the first production truggy made. Still have both. Ran the OS vzb blue head in the truggy back then. Even had a Cox buggy when I was 12yrs old, but that wasn't a rc.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #48
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
Why would you want to race with a rich tune? Rich tune = less run time...its that simple. My first rc nitro buggy was the Kyosho Integra Land jump. Could not race it, I was the only one around with a nitro buggy. My first truggy raced was a HB lightning stadium pro, think it was the first production truggy made. Still have both. Ran the OS vzb blue head in the truggy back then. Even had a Cox buggy when I was 12yrs old, but that wasn't a rc.
Don't know what kind of run time the picco guys are getting. I just know they like a fat bottom end compared to most others. i don't idle much while racing, so I don't think I'd experience less run time. Your results may vary.
ST-RR EVO.2 / TKI4 / ET48.3 / TKI3-E
wrenchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #49
Tech Adept

I appreciate you guys for your input.... It would be nice to hear from some BOOST 5TX owners as well as some .21 XZB V2 Owners as well... It'snot about getting a cheep engine for me ... It's about pound for pound the OVERALL IN ALL AREAS,QUALITY OF MATERIALS USED IN THE ENGINE,TORQUE,TUNEABILITY, SPEED, & FUEL EFFICIENCY....Don't get me wrong I like to save money as well as the next person... All of these engine manufacturers are popping up like popcorn, & we all know Orville Redenbacher didn't Corner the market in popcorn , but we all know his brand as a premium brand though.... With that being said I would feel better sticking with one of the premium brands NOVA ROSSI,OS,& PICCO... I've heard good and bad about all of these company,but they've been almond since i've been in the hobby.... going back to my Kyosho Land Max days.... That is saying a lot about these companies... All the people I know, run these manufacturers... These are the engine's i've seen run PERSONALLY & I didn't stick with what I was somewhat familiar with & I didn't have anyone to help me with them & that sucked big time,so you can say I was I was baptized by fire in this hobby...
swerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #50
Tech Champion

It's misguided in my opinion to place too much faith in a brand, or even the engine itself. Because a lot of nitro has to do with the owner… Most brands and racing buggy/truggy engines nowadays are good.

Value and power for money, get the Paloma…
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3

Last edited by Herrsavage; 05-20-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #51
Tech Adept

E bay have a rb bxr 5 port engine long stroke for $200 us. And the standard for a bit less.
Bang for buck you can not beat.
Will last a GOOD 10 gallons....boom
bartnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Werks B5 either standard or pro model!
rotor head33 likes this.