Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Best bang for the buck,for a truggy to run a monk.... >

Best bang for the buck,for a truggy to run a monk....

Like Tree11Likes

Best bang for the buck,for a truggy to run a monk....

Reply

Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM
  #31  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (53)
 
wrenchdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 385
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by swerv View Post
So would the pluma Limited be a better investment than the 5B pro 2 ?
I might be wrong here, but the Werks B5 would be more on par, but still not equal to the P5XLT. The Paloma would eat its lunch on all but the tightest of tracks, all things being equal (setup,proper tune,same fuel,complimentary pipe)
wrenchdoctor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM
  #32  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,886
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

p5xlt and the b5pro have similar bore and stoke , the werks has a ceramic rear bearing . I have not ever had or witnessed a p5 motor walk away from any truck with a b5pro in it . Power is very similar , with the b5 coming in a little lower.

The paloma is a 7 port long stroke . It's the cheapest nova engine you can buy , and should not be considered an "investment" in any way , shape or form. If anything happens to it , toss it and buy a new one. That's the good and bad part. Its certainly as good as what they are asking for it .

I have never had a great nova experience , but for the price I would buy that engine . If it disappointed me , I could always justify it because of the price.
wittyname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM
  #33  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
wittyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 1,886
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
In my opinion yes. Not only is the quality extremely good for the price it also has excellent performance. And you could buy two of them for the price of 1 Werks. Thats a no brainer to me.
Do you actually own one ?

never mind , saw your previous post ... Did you have it modded ?
wittyname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM
  #34  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
swerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Owatonna Mn.
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
p5xlt and the b5pro have similar bore and stoke , the werks has a ceramic rear bearing . I have not ever had or witnessed a p5 motor walk away from any truck with a b5pro in it . Power is very similar , with the b5 coming in a little lower.

The paloma is a 7 port long stroke . It's the cheapest nova engine you can buy , and should not be considered an "investment" in any way , shape or form. If anything happens to it , toss it and buy a new one. That's the good and bad part. Its certainly as good as what they are asking for it .

I have never had a great nova experience , but for the price I would buy that engine . If it disappointed me , I could always justify it because of the price.
I originally asked about a picco boost .21 and a OS 21XZB version 2, & witch if the two would be the best BANG for the buck.... Truth be told i've had plenty of cheep engine's some better than others,i am looking for a better quality engine in the mid range price( hince investment).... I want something worth keeping ,that I can switch between truggy's & GT'S.... I appreciate everyone's input don't get me wrong..... I'm just to the point where i'm wanting nice quality long term engine's that's all...
swerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 PM
  #35  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Apco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 595
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Do you actually own one ?

never mind , saw your previous post ... Did you have it modded ?
A Nova P5 is not a good comparison to the Werks B5 pro. A closer comparison would be the Werks B6 Pro. B6 and P5 are both primarily buggy engines. At least thats my understanding when I bought my werks B6. B6 for buggy, B5 for truck. I could be wrong.

Personally I didn't have good luck with my werks nor did a friend. Had an OS XRB before the Werks. The OS ran well but I wanted something a little better without the huge price and the Werks looked to fit the bill. I struggled with the tune the whole time I had it. Never could get it to run reliably. Ordered a Nova Elite5 put the Werks back in the box and haven't looked back. Went to buy another Elite5 as a backup and it was out of stock so now its my backup and I run a P5XLT/16 in buggy. Nova and OS are just easier for me to tune. No idea why but that is just how it is for me.
swerv likes this.
Apco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM
  #36  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Apco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 595
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by swerv View Post
I originally asked about a picco boost .21 and a OS 21XZB version 2, & witch if the two would be the best BANG for the buck.... Truth be told i've had plenty of cheep engine's some better than others,i am looking for a better quality engine in the mid range price( hince investment).... I want something worth keeping ,that I can switch between truggy's & GT'S.... I appreciate everyone's input don't get me wrong..... I'm just to the point where i'm wanting nice quality long term engine's that's all...
I don't think there are many nitro engines I myself would consider an investment. If it costs half a much to repair it, I'd rather replace it. To replace a crank, piston and sleeve on an OS 2101 you're looking at $400. So why would you repair it? How long should these parts last? On a $500 engine it better be 3-4 times longer than on a $130 engine.... But I bet thats not the case. But I don't buy $500 engines so I don't really know.
E1 Diablo and swerv like this.
Apco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:34 PM
  #37  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
swerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Owatonna Mn.
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
I don't think there are many nitro engines I myself would consider an investment. If it costs half a much to repair it, I'd rather replace it. To replace a crank, piston and sleeve on an OS 2101 you're looking at $400. So why would you repair it? How long should these parts last? On a $500 engine it better be 3-4 times longer than on a $130 engine.... But I bet thats not the case. But I don't buy $500 engines so I don't really know.
YOU HAVE A GOOD POINT !
swerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
  #38  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: valleyview alberta canada
Posts: 2,472
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

The price of a nitro motor is not indicative of the quality, unless its an os/reds/fx most top of the range motors are right around 300. Lots of those $300 motors are slightly tweaked versions of the cheaper motors with ceramic bearings.

Honestly too me it seems your looking for a modified engine, something someone took a little care to make special.
Maybe contact neal at the nitroshop.
Also FYI my modded paloma was dynod with higher numbers than a modded os speed spec 3 on neals dyno.
HaulinBass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 PM
  #39  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
swerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Owatonna Mn.
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
The price of a nitro motor is not indicative of the quality, unless its an os/reds/fx most top of the range motors are right around 300. Lots of those $300 motors are slightly tweaked versions of the cheaper motors with ceramic bearings.



Honestly too me it seems your looking for a modified engine, something someone took a little care to make special.
Maybe contact neal at the nitroshop.
Also FYI my modded paloma was dynod with higher numbers than a modded os speed spec 3 on neals dyno.
AND THAT SIR IS THE REASONING....!
To choose between the. OS 21XZB 2 & A PICCO BOOST.... So far only 2 PEOPLE mentioned the OS then they left a but behind it 😳.... Not looking for the latest & greatest,i just want a NICE ENGINE THAT HAULS @$$ then maby Down the road I will get it modded after I get to know it inside & out...i'm not bias to know particular brand YET anyway..... No one likes PICCO WOW... I don't need a TUNEING HEADACHE neither (LRP28).....
swerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:29 PM
  #40  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: valleyview alberta canada
Posts: 2,472
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

My buddy runs the picco 5 port in his tki3 with a 14 or 15 tooth bell and it moves it pretty good even with the gearing as high as it is. It has allot of bottom end but falls off after 33000rpm
HaulinBass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:31 PM
  #41  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
swerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Owatonna Mn.
Posts: 103
Default

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
My buddy runs the picco 5 port in his tki3 with a 14 or
You like it?

Internet issues just got the other half of the message just now
swerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:18 PM
  #42  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
22Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wanamingo Mn
Posts: 3,146
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

The Picco Boost will last longer than the Os Xz. The uncoated Os cranks are fairly soft, they will last decent if you run a higher oil content fuel and dont lean it out too much.
The Os on the other hand might be easier to tune.

Rex
swerv likes this.
22Racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:07 AM
  #43  
Tech Master
iTrader: (46)
 
kaptain crash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: York PA.
Posts: 1,494
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by swerv View Post
You like it?

Internet issues just got the other half of the message just now
I have the picco 5tr in buggy but like the old lutz pink head or my nova p5xlt better for truggy. Think the picco 5tx would be better in truggy. I just like my old pink head alpha lutz for truggy the best. Just change the rod at the gal. mark after break in. It does not have tire smoking power but more then enough, and great run times too in truggy. I don't know 22Racer "Rex" but he has Argus that is a clone to the lutz pink head, betting a little better made than the Alpha. The killer for the Alpha engines was ...they where so tight from factory...took awhile to break in. And if not broken in properly, the rods let loose early. To me...the piccos are harder to tune and don't like the cheaper os plugs.
kaptain crash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 AM
  #44  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (53)
 
wrenchdoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 385
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

I've owned picco's before, just not in the last 10 years. Hell probably longer at this point... last picco I had was on a kanai 2 buggy!I am pretty sure that the reason people say they are hard to tune is because they like a different tune than nova and os. Piccos are happy with a really rich bottom end as compared to nova. If you tune a nova as rich as piccos like, I think the nova would bearly get out of its own way lol.

I find that guys who say they are hard to tune are often the ones who have been running another brand for a while. Piccos just march to the beat of their own drummer
swerv likes this.
wrenchdoctor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM
  #45  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
swerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Owatonna Mn.
Posts: 103
Default

👍

Last edited by swerv; 05-13-2017 at 12:51 PM.
swerv is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service