R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Like Tree17Likes

Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingnewb View Post
Quality cheaper engines is key, also kits cost way too much I feel for a beginner to get involved. I started racing last spring w/ a rc8.2 rtr. I felt that the reedy engine was a good first engine. It had a wide tuning window as well as a easy break in. Of course people told me it sucked also the pull start one way bearing was killing my speed and I needed to get rid of the pull start asap. All of us racers say rtr's suck and to buy a kit, for the most part the rtr's are junk tho. I think that if the kits were 300 instead of 600 it would help bring more people into the hobby. Tires are also crazy overpriced, you can buy a full size radial car tire for the price of 4 mounted buggy/truggy tires. 10th scale tires are the most overpriced I feel. Everything is just so expensive in the rc racing scene. With out the right tires (compound/tread) most of the time you will be off the pace of the rest, especially if your new to operating rc cars. Getting up to pace is hard enough when your starting off, a super loose rear end is gonna make it even harder to keep up. That's my 2 cents
Tires for my 250f are about the cost of two sets of buggy tires....... and they also last a hell of a lot longer.... months not minutes.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Ofna changed a lot of things back then, they were good for the hobby imo. Not many $400 race kits around...I saw the kyosho mp9 rtr run,the engine rips for a rtr
hairymuffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pelletier View Post
Tires for my 250f are about the cost of two sets of buggy tires....... and they also last a hell of a lot longer.... months not minutes.
Yea tires are a hard pill to swallow for most. On a good note,tire sets are cheaper than compared to the 90's.. $100+ for a set of medial pros. Until proline and ofna hit the 1/8 market.

Same can be said with your 250f... racing it vs weekend trail riding? Huge difference? Same with 1/8
brokenmoto likes this.
hairymuffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Racing seems to be going strong enough, I guess... What's possibly more worrying about the future of nitro in general is that it seems completely dead on the bashing side of things. Super stupid decisions by Losi for example to release the XXL-2 with that idiotic gas engine, instead of a rebranded LRP 30 as they should have, have just added to the notion that nitro is too hard. And over the years plenty of flashlight fans have just been spreading the story that nitro is outdated, obsolete, etc.. I admit, an electric MT (which are mostly really truggies nowadays) is easier day to day to live with, but the bottom line is electric cannot deliver the thrill of nitro. I wish the companies would release new nitro bashers. Something like an Arrma Kraton nitro. Only Losi though ever really managed to offer RTR nitro cars with decent engines - a rebranded LRP 28 in the case of the XXL for example..

And no, it's not just about demand. Marketing can also affect demand. Marketed - and priced... - right, I think a nitro Kraton could be interesting..

So there are different things going on. Racing in general is too uptight, overserious, expensive, and time-consuming. And expensive.. And on the bashing side electric is undeniably easier, but still not as fun as nitro. RTR electronics are also generally much better than RTR nitro engines, with a very few exceptions.

I don't think the hate towards bashing from racers is particularly helpful when it comes to the future or current state of nitro generally either..

And ABSOLUTELY, tire prices - and longevity - are farcically ridiculous. I ran the stock tires on my LST2 for like seven years. They still had decent enough tread when I changed them too..(for looks)
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Racing seems to be going strong enough, I guess... What's possibly more worrying about the future of nitro in general is that it seems completely dead on the bashing side of things. Super stupid decisions by Losi for example to release the XXL-2 with that idiotic gas engine, instead of a rebranded LRP 30 as they should have, have just added to the notion that nitro is too hard. And over the years plenty of flashlight fans have just been spreading the story that nitro is outdated, obsolete, etc.. I admit, an electric MT (which are mostly really truggies nowadays) is easier day to day to live with, but the bottom line is electric cannot deliver the thrill of nitro. I wish the companies would release new nitro bashers. Something like an Arrma Kraton nitro. Only Losi though ever really managed to offer RTR nitro cars with decent engines - a rebranded LRP 28 in the case of the XXL for example..

And no, it's not just about demand. Marketing can also affect demand. Marketed - and priced... - right, I think a nitro Kraton could be interesting..

So there are different things going on. Racing in general is too uptight, overserious, expensive, and time-consuming. And expensive.. And on the bashing side electric is undeniably easier, but still not as fun as nitro. RTR electronics are also generally much better than RTR nitro engines, with a very few exceptions.

I don't think the hate towards bashing from racers is particularly helpful when it comes to the future or current state of nitro generally either..

And ABSOLUTELY, tire prices - and longevity - are farcically ridiculous. I ran the stock tires on my LST2 for like seven years. They still had decent enough tread when I changed them too..(for looks)
There are electrics that can be converted.
My (only) bashing buddy is buying his first brushless RC very soon. An Arrma Talion truggy.
But have a look at the Arrma. It's very easy to convert it to nitro. That's why he is getting it. In case he gets bored of electric power.

Unfortunately, so many electrics are built in a way that they cant be easily converted. I wanted to make a gas powered X-Maxx when it first came out but once I saw it in person, there's no way. The chassis design is totally electric specific, as opposed to a standard flat chassis design like the Talion has.
timjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post

Nitro can't deliver on-demand multiple backflips. That's what noobs think bashing is nowadays, because that's what they see in YouTube videos. So in their minds, nitro fails for bashing. RCers who like nitro surface vehicles are doomed to be the next generation of crotchety old RCers like the old guys who still build their own airplanes from balsa wood.

I, for one, own eleven nitro vehicles, eight of which are runners. However, I enjoy needing to use my skills to make my vehicles work, and that's not what most RCers want. Most RCers want something they can have fun with for a half-hour after work a couple times a week and completely ignore the rest of the time. Storage-charging their batteries is more effort than they want to put in, honestly, but they'll tolerate it to get those on-demand backflips. Nitro engines are even more intolerant of neglect than LiPo batteries are. We might think it's minimal effort, but anyone on this forum is by definition *NOT* the average RCer, so our opinions don't count nearly as much as we might want to believe.

Regarding Losi: They recently announced the 8ight and 8ight-T would be sold with nitro engines, and they are currently available for sale in the US. No idea if they're available in Germany yet.
MattDub likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Yea tires are a hard pill to swallow for most. On a good note,tire sets are cheaper than compared to the 90's.. $100+ for a set of medial pros. Until proline and ofna hit the 1/8 market.

Same can be said with your 250f... racing it vs weekend trail riding? Huge difference? Same with 1/8
Naa i ride on the track.... and nobody doing one runs on their bikes......