R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Is my engine now a paperweight

So the short story is I just got this motor into the tuning phase (An AE .15). Throttle linkage came apart and pegged to wide open. Steered into some high grass while I hustled up to catch up. Before I could reach it the boost kicked in and launched the glow plug into low earth orbit.

Im guessing the uncontrolled wide open throttle either rattled the glow plug loose or heated the cylinder head up so fast it worked it loose that way, either way it went balls to the walls screaming and the glow plug pulled a Houdini.

But the reason for the post is the motor still turns over smoothly, the threads in the glow plug port aren't stripped, but i pulled the cylinder head off and saw some damage i'm unsure of. Like small bits of metal pressed into the head and a whole lot of scuff marks on the ring around the glow plug and the same area on the piston itself. The cylinder walls have no visible damage or anything I can feel. It looks to me like the coil in the glow plug came apart and that's the few small bits of metal now welded to the head. I'd link pic's if i was allowed, but new account so not allowed.

Im gonna guess at best i'd have to replace the head and at worst its a complete write off. So i figured i'd ask around.
sylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

so I went through a similar but different plug spit and here is what happened to me ...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...-up-plugs.html

Check your rod ends for roundness . My rod stretched after my plug spit out and caused some headaches , but with new bearings and a new rod the engine is stout again. Has been reliable for a half gallon since everything went down. Just clean it , clean it , and clean it some more , Measure the rod , clean up the head and piston with some very very fine emery cloth or sand paper and see what you get.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I'll give it a go, thanks for the reply and advice. Didn't even think of checking the bottom end for damage.
sylum is offline   Reply With Quote