Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ozziii

General Q about glowplugs

Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Default General Q about glowplugs

Alot of people are using OS glowplugs such as P3 in different engine brands. Some say that OS are making the best plugs and that is the reason they using them. Others say that OS plugs don't give the best performance but are ok too run if you don't have a choise.

Saw a youtube clip with Adam Drake and he said that he usally use OS P3 plugs almost everywhere. I know that he is running OS engines

Is P3 the way to go or should I be using the engine brands own range of plugs?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

OS plugs will work in a lot of engines, but the p3 is most of the time too hot, a p4 or p5 usually works better. However, novarossi engines cannot use OS plugs because the taper of the headbutton is different.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

What are the guidelines for using P3, P4 or P5 regarding nitro % and ambient temp?
I live in Sweden with temps around 20-25C during outdoor season and I use 25% nitro.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

I use the P4 in my GO Engine, a virtual copy of the Nova P5, you can use them but as the taper of the plug is different than the Nova plugs it will most likely cause the taper in the head button to be changed which then means you cannot use Nova plugs again unless you change the head button.
Goof likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know this is an older thread, but generally, it’s advised to choose your glow plug heat range based on the fuel used and NOT the ambient air temp. A cold plug will work just as well in cold weather as it will in warm weather except starting can be a little harder if the engine isn’t warmed up a little before trying to start it.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 AM
am
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Arctic RC View Post
What are the guidelines for using P3, P4 or P5 regarding nitro % and ambient temp?
I live in Sweden with temps around 20-25C during outdoor season and I use 25% nitro.

P4. Maybe P3 in the early spring or very very humid outside. Over 30 degrees celcius i would test P5 in practice. When the plug is to hot and it is hot outside, engine will hang on RPMs after the straight and you will think it is lean and that is the reason it runs hot. The actual reason is that the plug is to hot and the ignition timing is to early making it run hot. If you go to a colder plug, things will sort them self out;-) Often in the ambient temps as mentioned above, engine will not respond to needle setting as you are used to, it is often the plug thats to hot.

OS plugs works best in OS engines imo. The P3 is for me a plug i use when cold outside or - if you wan`t alot of snap when 20 degrees celsius. In general, i have never liked the P3 glowplug.

My best rule of thumb is: use a glowplug from the engine manufactor. That will give you the least amount of problems.

example: Reds are meade by Picco. They have two different series; the TS are OS plugs and the T5C is a Picco plug. Engines Works absolute their best With Picco glowplugs. Never got them to work With TS3 or 4.

Last edited by am; 12-15-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: x
Old 12-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

One thing many people don't consider when choosing a plug is compression. Novarossi for example has quite a bit less piston to head clearance than an Os. Using a P3 in a Novarossi will not work well, the engine will detonate (aka pre ignition). If you add a shim to the Nova you can make it work ok but still best to stick with Nova plugs. The same applies if you want to run a hotter Nova #5, add a shim.
All plugs are very close on the taper angle but differ on thread length and relief.

Rex