Losi Starter Box Stall

Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi Starter Box Stall

Hey guys,

Just getting back into the hobby after about a year. I went to the lhs and bought the losi black starter box and two venom 3300 nimh's. I had trouble with the starter boxes in the past because I bought my 8ight t 2.0 from my neighbor who I actually got into the hobby and he never used it so it wasn't broken in right. I loosened the glow plug like they say to do in the manual and the starter box just won't spin it up, its just stalling and even burning a little when I push down. The engine is so tight and I don't really have anything to heat it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

I get that I could probably get the ofna but I feel like there's something I could do to get this one to work
Old 01-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Turn the flywheel by hand to see if its locked up. Sometimes you need to use a screwdriver to turn the flywheel if the piston is stuck. If it still wont turn over with a loose glow plug you gotta pull the motor. Make sure the starter box wheel is touching the flywheel properly. A hair dryer will warm the engine up some.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

if its a new engine and the engine is stuck when the box stalls then you should be heating it up, I've used a hair dryer. A lot of times with a new engine this happens and you need to 'unstick' the engine by rotating the flywheel with a pry, like a flat screwdriver, carefully so you don't damage the flywheel. If you're making good contact with the box and flywheel sometimes you can bring the piston to BDC and hit it on the box and it'll go through the pinch zone and you can get rotation, keep it spinning at this point to warm it up and then quickly put the glow plug back in and hit on the box again. This process with a new engine is hard on engine, starter box batteries and also frustrating....make sure your box to flywheel alignment and contact are good....if they are then you will need to start preheating the engine. Initial break ins are a pain. If it's an engine that's been in storage or whatever I'd suggest pulling it apart and giving it a inspection/cleaning. Don't rush this process just to get running, break in is crucial to the life and performance of the engine.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
if its a new engine and the engine is stuck when the box stalls then you should be heating it up, I've used a hair dryer. A lot of times with a new engine this happens and you need to 'unstick' the engine by rotating the flywheel with a pry, like a flat screwdriver, carefully so you don't damage the flywheel. If you're making good contact with the box and flywheel sometimes you can bring the piston to BDC and hit it on the box and it'll go through the pinch zone and you can get rotation, keep it spinning at this point to warm it up and then quickly put the glow plug back in and hit on the box again. This process with a new engine is hard on engine, starter box batteries and also frustrating....make sure your box to flywheel alignment and contact are good....if they are then you will need to start preheating the engine. Initial break ins are a pain. If it's an engine that's been in storage or whatever I'd suggest pulling it apart and giving it a inspection/cleaning. Don't rush this process just to get running, break in is crucial to the life and performance of the engine.
I got it started. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Good. You're on a hide into nothing unless you heat up externally new engines. You are doing damage if you don't.