Air filter oil substitute

Old 09-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Air filter oil substitute

I own a redcat racing volcano with a .18 engine, and my hobby shop does not carry air filter oil. What could I use to run it. I have chainsaw bar oil and the oil you add to the gas will that work? (the chain saw is a 2 stroke engine)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No. No. No. Go get some foam filter oil like Uni spray oil from your local motorcycle or Powersports shop.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

1L will last you a year atleast. as mentioned, go to your local motorcycle shop and ask for foam filter oil used on MX bike filters
Old 09-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay will do, Thank you.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I second that. Go to your motorcycle dealer and get the same oil used on motorcycle air filters. You will get a lot more oil for less money. I use the same filter oil that I use in my nitro cars as my motocross bikes.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

I've used (new) car engine oil for years, never had a problem. Its cheap, works well & a small bottle/container lasts ages.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91
I second that. Go to your motorcycle dealer and get the same oil used on motorcycle air filters. You will get a lot more oil for less money. I use the same filter oil that I use in my nitro cars as my motocross bikes.
I third that. You'll get a bottle big enough that will likely outlast your nitro RC hobby, and it'll be relatively cheap, not to mention it's for engines worth $$$$$$.. Can't go wrong with dirt bike air filter oil.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ozziii
I've used (new) car engine oil for years, never had a problem. Its cheap, works well & a small bottle/container lasts ages.
Oil designed for air filters is still better. Something like No-Toil has a solvent mixed in so you get full coverage and penetration into the foam. After it evaporates it leaves only a super tacky oil behind. Considering the air filter is the only thing keeping an off road engine from being a paper weight it's best to invest in a good air filter oil imho.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Tech Lord

Indeed oil for airfilters is the best choice but basically any oil will do more than no oil. I most of the time use afterrun oil.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bash bros
Oil designed for air filters is still better. Something like No-Toil has a solvent mixed in so you get full coverage and penetration into the foam. After it evaporates it leaves only a super tacky oil behind. Considering the air filter is the only thing keeping an off road engine from being a paper weight it's best to invest in a good air filter oil imho.
From my first nitro car years ago all I have used is car engine oil in all nitro cars I have had, same with my brother, 20w/50 does the job & the engines run fine, they very rarely get any dirt on the inner filter even in dry dusty conditions, if its done properly it is fine.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

K & N

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=99-0504