Engine swapping questions

Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine swapping questions

Hi, i have a few questions when trying to choose a good engine to swap into the TKi3 , can i keep the pullstarter, or should i change it to some other starter? i would like to buy NOVA plus 4 or Ryan Lutz Alpha but dont know if the bearings are ceramic on the Ryan Lutz edition.....?? And what about the starter? am in supposed to buy a starter wich is not recoil, will my original recoil work on these engines ?
what do you guys recommend and what do you think would be the things i need to have a starter wich isnt recoil ,and costs ?? go with ceramic or not ? stell bearings are half as cheap in price.....
I have no idea how the non recoil starters work but they seem professional just put in the plug warmer
Old 08-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Sounds like you have the RTR mp9.

If you're looking to replace the engine, lose the pull starter. Buy a starter box.

The blue Ofna Truggy start is fine; as is about any name brand starter box on the market.

Now pick an engine... anything by a major name brand around the $200 mark will do well.

Given the nature of your question, do not lose any sleep over bearing choice.

But to answer your question they are referring to the engine's rear crankshaft bearing. Some use ceramic balls vs steel balls. Ceramic balls are slightly superior as they require less lubrication, tolerate higher operating temp & less rust.

However in offroad there is only a nominal performance increase.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

As stated by previous poster, as you are basically upgrading coming from a stock pullstart motor your next motor will surely awaken your buggy. But I would not recommend going full ceramic yet. There is nothing wrong with regular steel "bearinged" motors. The ceramic motors are great when you have a full on race ready buggy, yet at times comand the premium as well. A basic 3 or 5 port motor even perhaps with a 2 needle carb will be great. Then you can build upon your carb tuning skills, clutch setup etc. And if you do have the ready set MP9, then you would have some money leftover to upgrade the diffs to 4 gear vs. the 2 gear currently in your car. This will ensure your diffs last longer as you upgrade your power! And going with a starter box is awesome, just also budget for a few spare plugs and good fuel.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Yup, as someone said dont waste your money for useless stuff. Buy midrange engine like Nova P5XLT which is less than $200 bucks and ofna starter box and then just buy fuel/tires. Spend time on track as much you can.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You will probabably have the flywheel and your engine mounts to one for the NON RTR version of the TKI13. I think the OS xzb 21 Blue Head ver 2 is good choice here. Then like said before you will need a bump box to start it.