Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
The New Werks B7KE "Kortz Edition" .21 Racing Engine >

The New Werks B7KE "Kortz Edition" .21 Racing Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree35Likes

The New Werks B7KE "Kortz Edition" .21 Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evolution03
I think for break in you would be better off using a heat gun to heat motor up get it close to 250 and then try to crank it. A engine heater more than likely won't get it hot enough and will take forever. It will be much faster and easier with a heat gun.
See and I personally have never pre-heated engines for break in but that it just me. It obviously will make it easier to start initially so I can understand why some do it but personally if doing so I would never use anything other than an engine heater. I have seen way too many people damage brand new, never even fired engines trying to pre-heat one with a heat gun. I've seen melted composite carburetors, carburetor heat insulation sleeves melted, o-rings melted and on and on. Heat guns get way too hot and if you are not very careful about making sure that you constantly move where the heat is pointed you are going to have problems. Again imho just not worth the potential down side!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

+1 Ron. I use an engine heater (Competition Heat) exclusively for running in our customers engines.
Engine heaters sort of "heat sink" the engine nicely without the risk of damaging O Rings or carb insulators etc.
10 minutes with a 12v engine heater will see the engine turn over with greatly reduced pinch for those first 3 or 4 tanks that people tend to struggle with.
Although the "outside" temp of the block etc may not seem that warm (as the crankcase fins and heat sink are very effective in dissipating heat), the sleeve is still getting expanded enough to ease up the pinch at TDC for ease of starting.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Tech Adept

Then you point the heat gun at the heat sink not the carb. They work great, I don't know why you 2 are acting like a heat gun is so bad. Even a hair dryer work good.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyosho28
Then you point the heat gun at the heat sink not the carb. They work great, I don't know why you 2 are acting like a heat gun is so bad. Even a hair dryer work good.
Chill bro. Just giving some general advice to help others based on personal preferences. If you want to toast your engine don't let us deter you lol.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

engine heater
heat gun
hair dryer
propane torch
Wife's bitching
Nothing at all

Use whatever you want , just use your head and things should be fine ...
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by grizz1
Chill bro. Just giving some general advice to help others based on personal preferences. If you want to toast your engine don't let us deter you lol.
Don't worry that much Bro, Ill be alright.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Plus let's not forget about melting/carmelizing the oil in the fuel you use. We know how that goes when using a heat gun or head warmer for too long lol

Last edited by rotor head33; 04-14-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyosho28
You have to remember that when I give tips and write stuff I have to do so keeping in mind that it is going to be read by people with a very, very wide range of skill levels. That will be from lets call them pro level guys that have been doing this for years all the way down to someone with little to no common sense that has never seen an rc car engine before in their life.

If I write on here that someone should use a heat gun, I then have to also write detailed instructions on how they should use said heat gun otherwise when something goes wrong take a wild guess who they are going to say told them to go blast the engine with a heat gun lol? Yep, me. And I'll add that while it seems logical to not point the heat gun at the carb and to keep it moving around, you will be surprised by how non-logical it is to others. How do I know that you may ask? Because I have had people call asking if they can buy carb heat shields because they melted them, I've had people send back for warranty carbs because the slide was supposedly sticking only to inspect the part and see that the slides are sticking because it was a composite body carb and and the entire carb body has been melted lol and on and on and on it goes. So I have to be extremely careful with what I say hence if it's something that can possibly cause damage, it's best to just avoid it, plus as I mentioned I've honestly never needed to use a heat gun before in my life anyways so while it may help it's not lets say a necessity. Hope that clarifies things
Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rotor head33
Plus let's not forget about tantalizing the oil in your fuel. We know how that goes when using a heat gun or head warmer for too long lol
Oh, no not that again please
rotor head33 likes this.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werks
You have to remember that when I give tips and write stuff I have to do so keeping in mind that it is going to be read by people with a very, very wide range of skill levels. That will be from lets call them pro level guys that have been doing this for years all the way down to someone with little to no common sense that has never seen an rc car engine before in their life.

If I write on here that someone should use a heat gun, I then have to also write detailed instructions on how they should use said heat gun otherwise when something goes wrong take a wild guess who they are going to say told them to go blast the engine with a heat gun lol? Yep, me. And I'll add that while it seems logical to not point the heat gun at the carb and to keep it moving around, you will be surprised by how non-logical it is to others. How do I know that you may ask? Because I have had people call asking if they can buy carb heat shields because they melted them, I've had people send back for warranty carbs because the slide was supposedly sticking only to inspect the part and see that the slides are sticking because it was a composite body carb and and the entire carb body has been melted lol and on and on and on it goes. So I have to be extremely careful with what I say hence if it's something that can possibly cause damage, it's best to just avoid it, plus as I mentioned I've honestly never needed to use a heat gun before in my life anyways so while it may help it's not lets say a necessity. Hope that clarifies things
I understand where you are coming from. I have never melted anything on a motor with a heat gun. Some motors are just to tight to get get cranked with a engine heater. I use engine heaters after initial break in prior to racing to get motor up to temp so there is basically no warm up on the track.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I was able to get a few tanks through it today. The screw driver definitely made it a lot easier to free up the piston. Now just to get through this break-in so I can actually see what this thing will do. Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Are any OS or REDS pipes equivelant of the 2058? I ask only because they have the exhaust nipple facing forwards....its so tidy.... i get jealous
Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grind67
Well, I was able to get a few tanks through it today. The screw driver definitely made it a lot easier to free up the piston. Now just to get through this break-in so I can actually see what this thing will do. Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Not a problem, if you need any help or have any questions down the road please do not hesitate to ask on here, there's a lot of really knowledgeable people that will help you out!

Originally Posted by Gavel
Are any OS or REDS pipes equivelant of the 2058? I ask only because they have the exhaust nipple facing forwards....its so tidy.... i get jealous
Not sure if this is a joke or not lol, but unless OS or Reds make a 2058 (which they do not) it's not going to be the equivlent of the 2058. In regards to having the nipple face the other way, I've never had a single person ask me to do that. So I'll put it out here, is this something that all of you guys would prefer? If so please let me know as it's litteraly no problem to have them built with the nipple turned the other way lol????
Old 04-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Werks
Not a problem, if you need any help or have any questions down the road please do not hesitate to ask on here, there's a lot of really knowledgeable people that will help you out!

Not sure if this is a joke or not lol, but unless OS or Reds make a 2058 (which they do not) it's not going to be the equivlent of the 2058. In regards to having the nipple face the other way, I've never had a single person ask me to do that. So I'll put it out here, is this something that all of you guys would prefer? If so please let me know as it's litteraly no problem to have them built with the nipple turned the other way lol????
You could have the nipple made vertical Ron - that would be very PC ....... lol
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I mean I absolutely love it facing forward but the little extra length ends up smoothing out the pressure pulses going into the tank so it's not a bad thing. Just makes things more astheticly pleasing lol

But if buy a 2013 in a heart beat regardless direction lol that's the next thing I want to try on the b5pii lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.