Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Best way to clean front engine bearing >

Best way to clean front engine bearing

Best way to clean front engine bearing

Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best way to clean front engine bearing

I use novarossi 17011 bearings.
Is it ok to remove the outer seal and clean it after race day?
What is the best way to clean the bearing?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Talsys View Post
I use novarossi 17011 bearings.
Is it ok to remove the outer seal and clean it after race day?
What is the best way to clean the bearing?
From the inside out is best. I often take the bearing out. Pop the seals from the inside and clean the bearing with motor spray. Then oil/grease, which ever suits your fancy and reassemble and your golden.

But taking the seals off from the outside you risk damaging the seals, and if its installed in the engine you risk flushing what ever is trapped in the through the engine.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have my customer flush the bearings all the time from inside the engine with no issues...just pop the dust caps out then blast nitro spray from the inside out........ amazing how much dirt gets in these bearings, especially if your in the habit of pushing runtime or tuning with a high idle off throttle down...........
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have my customer flush the bearings all the time from inside the engine with no issues...just pop the dust caps out then blast nitro spray from the inside out........ amazing how much dirt gets in these bearings, especially if your in the habit of pushing runtime or tuning with a high idle off throttle down...........
Can i do it without removing the bearing?
I will open the engine and remove the crank, the seal can be remove with a knife.
I understand that when you remove the bearings with hoody tool you can't install them again.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will open the engine and remove the crank, the seal can be remove with a knife.
I understand that when you remove the bearings with hoody tool you can't install them again.

Thanks
No, the Hudy is worth every penny. If you like to tear your engines down periodically, it's essential to have imho.

With the 17011 you just need to take a washer around the same size as the Hudy front bearing presser and ream the center hole out far enough so that it fits around the center race, and the only pressure your applying is to the outer race when pressing it back in.

Last edited by bash bros; 10-04-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks

You can do it without removing the bearing.... ultimately its ideal to remove the bearing but the flushing can be done just the same with the bearing in the engine, no matter what flushing it out is better then leaving the dirt in the bearing.......... When I use the Hudy I do preheat the engines in a toaster over, I don't go crazy or anything but I do add some heat to take the strain off. And I have had no issue reusing bearings I have removed with the Hudy tool....You can use the Hudy tool cold, but its definitely better to add some heat , the bearing glide in and out much smoother....
Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for your replies.
How often do you take apart your engine and clean it.
I have picco TX5 for race only. Is it good idea to clean it and it's front bearing after every race?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you for your replies.
How often do you take apart your engine and clean it.
I have picco TX5 for race only. Is it good idea to clean it and it's front bearing after every race?
if the engine is run hard in dusty conditions it can only take a few moments for the bearing to fill with dirt..Best bet is to monitor it regularly and then determine how often it needs to be cleaned..
Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What oil/grease do you use when you're done cleaning?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fbrk8r View Post
What oil/grease do you use when you're done cleaning?
Theres probably quite a few different things that will work, but I really like this stuff for reassembling my engines. I used to use caster oil from the pharmacy and had good results with that too.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bash bros View Post
Theres probably quite a few different things that will work, but I really like this stuff for reassembling my engines. I used to use caster oil from the pharmacy and had good results with that too.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've never really cleaned mine. I just replace them from time to time.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

im enjoying rebuild cleaning inspecting engine,, for the bearing id prefer not to disassemble it too often, blast it with nitro cleaner and play with ur finger when it feels gritty its okay to pull it apart for inspecting,,
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by banana rt View Post
im enjoying rebuild cleaning inspecting engine,, for the bearing id prefer not to disassemble it too often, blast it with nitro cleaner and play with ur finger when it feels gritty its okay to pull it apart for inspecting,,
heh heh hehehehe, you said "finger" heheheheh hehe
Old 11-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default hi

I take the bearing out and remove the seals and blast it with wd40 it seems to remove more of the gritty stuff than solvents. I spin the bearing often and do that a few times then spray the seals and wipe them down good because stuff tends to hide on the inside of the seal. I use Nova oil like mentioned above for all engine parts and bearings.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is the best way (bearing in) to pop the inner seal out? I'm going to do this after our next race. I also thought about heating the front of the crankcase to loosen the bearing out, then clean it.