Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Ofna hyper 21 8 port with boost >

Ofna hyper 21 8 port with boost

Ofna hyper 21 8 port with boost

Old 06-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default Ofna hyper 21 8 port with boost

Whats the deal with this motor? It has some fuel line running under the carb from what looks like a fuel pump for avation use...anybody know anything about it? Im not thinking about buying one btw, im completly happy with my gx7rs, i was just curious.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's the boost chamber.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

And it does what? It seems like a gimmick to me...havent seen this on Rossi or Picco....i also havent seen much in the way of reviews for this motor.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bksrt View Post
And it does what? It seems like a gimmick to me...havent seen this on Rossi or Picco....i also havent seen much in the way of reviews for this motor.
It can improve throttle response!

The idea used here is from something that Yamaha developed many years ago for motorbikes.

Basically when you open the throttle then airspeed through the carb is not sufficient to draw fuel from the jet...the boost bottle (YEIS..Yamaha Energy Induction System) contains a certain amount of pre-mixed air/fuel that is right there and ready.

On engines of this size it will probably never be worth making it work but on larger engines it does work.

To make the idea work there are many things that have to be taken into consideration.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It was mostly a gimmick on these size engines. They were however popular on many top level engines in the mid to late 90s. Reviews on the engine are scarce mostly because its about 20 years old at this point. Its mostly a basher/RTR engine, just with no pull/rotostart.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Lol oh ok...i didnt know it was old technology. I dont even know how i stumbled across it. Looked interesting tho
Old 07-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Lol oh ok...i didnt know it was old technology. I dont even know how i stumbled across it. Looked interesting tho
Anything associated with two strokes is old technology...basically Yamaha thought of most of the ideas...anything after was just straw clutching.
No doubt next years top RC engine will have something that is epic though....(ps I am sarcastic).