Best motor for $300?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

P5XLT... No need for anything more expensive. You can get the engine plus a nice new pipe for it for less than most of these other engines cost, sans pipe.. And honestly, none of them are heads and tails better anyway. How "good" an engine is has lots to do with the owner, not just the brand or model...
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Id look into this engine. Picco 3 port. while the P5 is a good engine the piston is soft and will wear out a lot quicker than this engine. The recommended pipe and header are also a lot cheaper. You'll be about $20 cheaper with the Picco combo.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/picco-b...ic9510/p387952

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/picco-e...ic9580/p273424
Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanef View Post
Definitely the Reds R5R Racer
very good engines
Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I really love my P5 in my buggy. Its modded from TNS (actually clockwork) and its a screamer.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Initiate

RB S3 or S5
Old 10-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Seriously, just go here. Best prices on the best engines. Pretty much all in your price range.

http://www.novarossidirect.com/21-Off-Road_c_83.html
Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

id go the 4 port legend for that budget, nova quality, good power band, good runtime. Or the werks, heard lots of good things although i cant get one in Aus as the supplier doesnt like to return messages.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I got my first X5 Race engine from Monty with a filled crank and I have to say it is a beast. We have an insane straight away that you can stay full throttle for over 5 seconds then another 4 to 5 seconds and another 4 seconds but if you are good you can go into those corners holding speed and stay into the throttle easily. We have alot of speeds here Reds and alpha engines. Last weekend I kept having to let off so I didn't run into the back of the speeds (one is a tessman edition) an R7 and two dragons. My x5 race is no joke on top end, and low end running a 2096 021 combo, watching the video you can see where I had to let out or rear end them. The track is so rocky and rutted up there is only one line, if you get out of the line you can end up off the track or look like you just hit a jump on the back straight. So driving around on the back is impossible but every time we hit the corner and the track smoothed out I would walk around them like nothing and then running my hole shots they were done. Baddest engine I have ran in a buggy yet. Made my bonitto look like a rtr losi engine.... I also have a x5L and a X7 both are also awesome but haven't ran them in buggy only truggy.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

$119 for an Elite 5, or $199 for the Elite 8, then your pipe of choice. And change in your pocket...
Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc View Post
I got my first X5 Race engine from Monty with a filled crank and I have to say it is a beast. We have an insane straight away that you can stay full throttle for over 5 seconds then another 4 to 5 seconds and another 4 seconds but if you are good you can go into those corners holding speed and stay into the throttle easily. We have alot of speeds here Reds and alpha engines. Last weekend I kept having to let off so I didn't run into the back of the speeds (one is a tessman edition) an R7 and two dragons. My x5 race is no joke on top end, and low end running a 2096 021 combo, watching the video you can see where I had to let out or rear end them. The track is so rocky and rutted up there is only one line, if you get out of the line you can end up off the track or look like you just hit a jump on the back straight. So driving around on the back is impossible but every time we hit the corner and the track smoothed out I would walk around them like nothing and then running my hole shots they were done. Baddest engine I have ran in a buggy yet. Made my bonitto look like a rtr losi engine.... I also have a x5L and a X7 both are also awesome but haven't ran them in buggy only truggy.
Great review. However, neither are $300 or less, as the OP had stated they wanted for a price point.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would imagine a decision has been made since the thread started in JUNE ...
Old 10-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc View Post
The x5race is really nothing special though. It's basically a Clio or an Elite 5 without a turbo crank. I don't know how much difference a filled crank makes, but I have a stock x5r and it doesn't do anything a p5xlt or elite 5 can't.

Last edited by bash bros; 10-22-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Great review. However, neither are $300 or less, as the OP had stated they wanted for a price point.
Look again,
X5RC is $255
X5LC is $275
X7A $285

Crank fill is 20

This means that besides the X7 you can get a filled crank added and they are UNDER $300

This is straight from his website bro check it if you don't believe me, also these prices are for ceramic bearings accept for the X7 that with a ceramic bearing is $325

http://www.houstonsengineservice.com...c78ef2e0618d18

Here is one of out tracks, this is when Yuichi Kanai came to race here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfns39hgkA8

I switched phones and dont have video of the other big track, but the straight on the Binh Duong track is equal to 3 of the straights on the track in the video link above. The top straight at BD is longer while the straight out of the first turn is as long and then the next turn goes into another straight as long. The BD track they tried to mirror the Pattaya track in Thailand.

In this track the X5R does a killer job compared to the speeds, alphas and reds engines including the 7 port reds engine and the ultra expensive Ty edition OS. Never compared it to a pico or clio, never tried to, only speaking from what I have actually seen and been apart of. I am also not saying it is the best engine in the world, but for the price I have been more than happy.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I stand corrected. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default yep

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I believe my tuned Picco 5TX would fit the bill splendidly....likely more powerful and faster then anything else South of $300.00....extremely easy to tune...... dyno tested so you know exactly what your getting.....

http://www.thenitroshop.com/tuned-pi...etCurrencyId=1
I agree I own one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service