Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Pre Heat with Propane Torch ? >

Pre Heat with Propane Torch ?

Pre Heat with Propane Torch ?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Pre Heat with Propane Torch ?

How do we feel about this ? Very low flame evenly applied ? Thoughts ? I know it sounds bad , but low even heat is low even heat .
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I wouldn't want any open flame near nitro, why not a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight or a $40~ electric motor heater, either shouldn't be much more than a flame thrower and yet way safer.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
low even heat is low even heat .
Not when its produced by a flame.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've done it. No problem. Use care. The fuel won't explode. Can catch fire tho.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

I got a heat gun from Harbor Freight and team it up with a engine heater. Great combo for colder days.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Questions??

I read this and say WTF, why in the heck would you even think of using a TORCH to heat your nitro engine , huh
Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston View Post
I read this and say WTF, why in the heck would you even think of using a TORCH to heat your nitro engine , huh
Thats the question ... Why ? Why Not ?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Because fuel is flammable.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
Where is the "Like" button here!?!?!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I say you try it and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default heating engine

try the microwave. works great. been doing it for years
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Honsetly as Houston is pointing out this is not something to take casually. Our fuel is largely made out of methanol which burns clear. It's all fun and games to talk about it but I got a call a few years ago about a guy hanging out with his buddies one afternoon drinking beer who decided to use RC car fuel to try and get the fire on his BBQ going. He poured it on the smouldering fire, it flamed up he jerked back and dumped fuel all over his clothes. Needless to say he caught on fire and was rolling around on the ground screaming while his friends stood around laughing thinking he was goofing off because they could not see the flames which are clear/light blue. They finally figured it out when his clothes started turning black and falling apart. By the time they got him out he had 3rd degree burns over 60% of his body. He's going to spend the rest of his life in the hospital getting skin grafts if he does not die because of infections. So do not forget that even though these are toys, fuel is a seriously dangerous product and you need to treat it with respect and use some common sense. Do not even get close to your tank with a torch or any type of open flame!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

How do we feel about this ? Very low flame evenly applied ? Thoughts ? I know it sounds bad , but low even heat is low even heat .
1.5.2 Open flames or smoking are prohibited within 50 feet of areas where fuel (either nitro or gasoline) is present.

ROAR rules prohibit this. Something to consider if you aspire to regional, national or international competition under the auspices of the principle U.S. sanctioning organization.

'AC'
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Just buy a heat gun or use a hair drier. I got a dual temp heat gun for engine pre heating from Harbor Freight for like $15. Low setting heats my LRP up to about 220 Fahrenheit in about 2 minutes or less. A strong hair drier will take longer but works fine, too.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I say you try it and let us know how it works out.
Well ... its very non dramatic. An ape could do it and not catch the car on fire if you just use the cooling head.

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
1.5.2 Open flames or smoking are prohibited within 50 feet of areas where fuel (either nitro or gasoline) is present.

ROAR rules prohibit this. Something to consider if you aspire to regional, national or international competition under the auspices of the principle U.S. sanctioning organization.

'AC'
If this is a real thing , someone should tell the tracks .... A 50 foot buffer would mean basically the entire track during a nitro race would be a "non smoking" area. The parking lot full of pit tables would be "non smoking" as well . Thats a lot of paying customers that will have to stop smoking to go to a Rc car race ! I could not imagine any track wanting to host a roar race if they had to make the entire facility a "non smoking" area on their big pay day .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.