Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts ! >

2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts !

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
i need that michael jackson eating popcorn in the theater thing

VP sucks , plain and simple , i get to see what happens to engines on all the dfrnt fuels , yes i am somewhat biased to a certain extent but i choose to run byrons because it is THE BEST PERIOD

werks good
nitrotane good
sidewinder not good
bones good
nitro pro no verdict but some reviews not the best
odonnell just ok , needs extra oil
punch builds up pretty bad
MaximA good odd oil pkg like old s&w fish oil
what am i forgetting ?
Maxy's
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91
Hmm VP sucks? But you say it's great fuel?

Refresh your memory?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...er-fuel-6.html

you guys are talking about the old stuff , the new blue blend is great fuel , i tried it for 12 quarts and thought it was very good fuel , coming from an engine guy
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM SWEEP RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /NOVAROSSI DEALER/ FUSIONX USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S." / BYRON FUELS / HITEC/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/SWEEP RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/WERKS CLUTCH/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Refresh me ,i couldnt find it

i have tore apart alot of engines which ran VP fuels , blu fuel

had alot of guys with major bearing issues , not a fan man
Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Fuel I have run:

Odonnell : good fuel
Sidwwinder: good fuel
Vp: dont hold a tune. .. the worst
byrons fuel : simple the best for me engine just run crisp. .. hold tune all Day
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have only used 2 brands of fuel. I started with Byrons in 1996, used it til last year. No complaints what so ever. I saw everybody who tried Bones speak especially high of it. So, I ordered it and never looked back. You will not find any bad reviews of it what so ever. I stored by buggies this winter with a 1/3 of a tank left in them (on purpose). It helps extend the life of a clunck tank pick up, so I hear. just a couple weeks ago I fired both buggies up, with the fuel I left in them over the winter. Ran like a top, both of them, much to my surprise. That's the 30/10 blend of Bones. It's good stuff!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM
AE

Nitrotane. I've been running this since '06. great power, extremely consistent tune, great runtime. I never use after run oil and just shut my motor off and leave it. I live in SoCal at sea level, so these results may not apply to everyone.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Ok so I'm going to order some Bones fuel soon to try out, what does everybody like better for general bashing the 10% oil or the 8% oil? I think Byron's 30% race uses 11% oil so I'm thinking of trying the 10% oil first. Currently I am using some Byron's Worlds Blend 25% which has 8% oil. Currently the Byron's is hard to find locally so I have to order it, and it costs more than Bones does, too.

Edit: It is for my LRP .28, my small blocks all run on 20% Byron's race.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yea u don't need 8%. I'd shoot for 10% more.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kyosho Kid
Yea u don't need 8%. I'd shoot for 10% more.
That's what I was thinking too, just wanted to hear from the guys who run the stuff to hear what everyone likes. I added some castor oil (.5 oz per quart) to my Byron's that has 8% to bring it closer to 10% as it is being used for break in. Anyways the Bones 30/10 is on the way so when the Byron's is gone, time to try a new brand Looking forward to it, I hope it treats me as well as Byron's has over the years! Too bad Bones doesn't make a 20% or 25% nitro fuel I could try in my smaller engines, too.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Fyi guys , it has much more to do with the type and quality of oils rather than the amount
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Fyi guys , it has much more to do with the type and quality of oils rather than the amount
I do agree Monty. But in tearing down hundreds of engines I have came to the conclusion it also depends on how you run them. A truggy with big power on a hooked up track in my opinion should run a little more oil. Especially if you run it as lean as you can. It is just so much more stress on the oil film between the crankpin and rod. I do see more wear on truggy cranks/rods than buggy in general.

Rex
Old 04-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 22Racer
I do agree Monty. But in tearing down hundreds of engines I have came to the conclusion it also depends on how you run them. A truggy with big power on a hooked up track in my opinion should run a little more oil. Especially if you run it as lean as you can. It is just so much more stress on the oil film between the crankpin and rod. I do see more wear on truggy cranks/rods than buggy in general.

Rex
agreed

i was just referring to fuel/oil pkgs in general , especially between brands

i estimate approx. 25-30% less life from truck engines , possibly even 35-40% , its pretty substantial
Old 04-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I'll stick to my byrons 25/11 blend. Its been working great for me for a couple years now so I will just keep running it.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by toyoter91
I'll stick to my byrons 25/11 blend. Its been working great for me for a couple years now so I will just keep running it.
Engines will last almost indefinitely on byrons race blend fuels (11%) , gooooood stuff
Old 04-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Engines will last almost indefinitely on byrons race blend fuels (11%) , gooooood stuff
Pretty sure my last speed got ~11 gallons out of it before i replaced the bearings even I think I ended up giving away that engine and it was still running great.

I also don't even own a temp gun... tuned 100% based off sound, smoke and feel. Byrons is good shit.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Very true, but I would guess the stuff coming from the same manufacturer with less oil in it would be geared more toward racing, right? The Byron's Worlds Blend stuff has 8% oil in it, which I would assume is likely almost purely synthetic and meant more to conform to race regulations than the 11% stuff. I'm no expert, I'm just wondering why fuel makers blend 8% oil as well as 10% or 11%, is it just for racing or more of a personal preference of different end users kind of thing? I never paid any real attention to this before, just ran whatever Byron's was on the shelves, but now that I am having to order fuel myself I am noticing the oil blends more. Either way, I have faith in Byron's and even at 8% lube, I'd trust it over most others with more oil in them to protect my engines. But a little castor for break in never hurts It really, really sucks that my local stores don't stock any Byron's aside from the 20% nitro anymore Hopefully the VP loses some shelf space next year and I can buy Byron's locally again. Until then, I'll try the Bones out. I did notice on their site they have a custom blend option, so I might try and get some 20/10 from them to try in my O.S. 18 CV-RX when my 4910 Maxx is done. In my experience small blocks don't run that well on higher nitro fuel, all mine would just heat up too quickly and run hotter overall.

I too can comment on the last ability of engines on Byron's, I had an old Pro .15 go about 10 gallons on Byron's 20% back in the day until it lost all compression. It really only needed a new sleeve and piston, but I traded in in and got a TRX 2.5R to replace it with. It's also the only fuel that my old Orion .18 Maxx engine would run decently on, though I didn't run that engine into the ground it ran great until I retired it.

Last edited by Maxximize; 04-05-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.