Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts ! >

2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts !

2015 Fuel battle ... opinions only , no facts !

Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by croracer View Post
Bones Brew, awesome fuel. Best quality, and you can get break in fuel as well.
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
Bones Brew!
Originally Posted by Keith Lewis View Post
Definitely gotta agree with other posts that Bones Brew has been awesome fuel.
Originally Posted by sschultz View Post
Bones Brew!!!
Originally Posted by Retired09 View Post
Used every fuel know to man. Presently using Bones 30/8 and also their break in fuel.
Originally Posted by motox450 View Post
Hands down Bones Brew
need I say more
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Bones 30/8 here too
Consistent blend, fast ship, great guy to deal with.

I did a pole last year at DNC and it was either Bones or Byrons from pit to pit.

Last edited by Frank L; 03-17-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bones Brew ALL THE WAY....power,consistency, and protection.....also love the sealed bags each qt comes in
Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run VP Powermaster 30/9 blend and for me, it has worked out great. My engines run nice and crisp and when I take apart my engines to inspect them after a couple quarts, there is a nice film of bluish oil coating all the internals. I use VP fuels in my race bikes as well and they have brought their excellence over to the hobby fuel market.

Now I realize that there are people on here that absolutely SWEAR Byrons or (insert fuel brand) is the best and nothing else compares. I have tried Byrons and found that it did not have the same punch and crisp feeling as the VP fuel I was using. Upon disassembling my engine I did find it had the same nice coating of oil over all the internals as the VP did. Does that mean VP is better than Byrons? No. It just means that in my case, I found VP to be better for me than Byrons. I suggest everyone find their BEST fuel this way by trying different brands and seeing which one they like the most.

People put too much emphasis on fuel to dictate their run-times and performance. These two aspects are going to be controlled by the carburetor of the engine and how well your tuning skills are. I know people that run Byrons, VP, Werks, Bones, Odonnell and each fuel runs great for them and gives them great performance. What they all have in common is their ability to tune a nitro motor.

There is no best fuel, only good fuels. Fuel manufacturers today make some pretty great fuel. Some brands do things better or a little different than the other, but none of them are absolute garbage like some people claim on here. If you are not sponsored by a fuel brand, then why not try different brands and find which one you like best and runs best with your engines. Then that will be the BEST fuel for you. For me it was VP
Old 03-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Poppy cock! VP makes motor internals look like crap! Good power though.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cary View Post
need I say more
what happened to Cold Fusion Fuel?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91 View Post
There is no best fuel, only good fuels. Fuel manufacturers today make some pretty great fuel. Some brands do things better or a little different than the other, but none of them are absolute garbage like some people claim on here.
There are huge differences in how the engine wears depending on which fuel you use.
It's very clear to me.

I don't wish to label any brands bad.

I run Byron's fuel and choose to pay more for it than certain other fuels would cost me, so I do it because I perceive it as better. Engine lasts longer before being worn out, simple as that.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default my opinion

Being someone who sees soooo many engines internals i can say my opinion is very partial to byrons fuel ,imo best in the industry

I have never personally ran bones so my opinion on it is not from running it but seeing engines that have ran it ,its good

Werks is good imo
Nitrotane is good imo if u tune it properly
Vp powermaster, no thank you imo
Sidewinder ,no thank you imo
Odonnell ,good if you add a little extra oil imo
Traxxas , very good but too much dye imo
Nitro pro ,not looking to be partial to it imo

What am i forgetting?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

I've ran different percentages of nitro content and different brands over the years depending on the engine I'm using. All my real experience is with .12-.18 engines so far and I'm quite new to the big block scene. Never ran 30% nitro yet, 25% is the highest. I've always had a great experience with Byron's Gen2 20%-25% nitro. My engines seemed to tune easier and run generally better than others. Not to mention the throttle response feels crisper. If I can't get that O'Donnell Race (White bottle) is my back up. I've ran Traxxas fuel which has worked great, although I only ever tried it in small block engines of course. As for VP, recently I had a bad experience with their basher blend and will likely never use anything from them again. The engine I tried to run with it ran colder than I've ever seen an engine run before and was not responsive to tuning attempts at all as it continued to show very rich symptoms even when leaned out. It may work fine for others, but I'll stick with my Byron's!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Maxximize View Post
I've ran different percentages of nitro content and different brands over the years depending on the engine I'm using. All my real experience is with .12-.18 engines so far and I'm quite new to the big block scene. Never ran 30% nitro yet, 25% is the highest. I've always had a great experience with Byron's Gen2 20%-25% nitro. My engines seemed to tune easier and run generally better than others. Not to mention the throttle response feels crisper. If I can't get that O'Donnell Race (White bottle) is my back up. I've ran Traxxas fuel which has worked great, although I only ever tried it in small block engines of course. As for VP, recently I had a bad experience with their basher blend and will likely never use anything from them again. The engine I tried to run with it ran colder than I've ever seen an engine run before and was not responsive to tuning attempts at all as it continued to show very rich symptoms even when leaned out. It may work fine for others, but I'll stick with my Byron's!
I don't think you can blame VP for your problems, more a user error. Per your thread, LRP recommended you use 25% nitro or higher and you used 20% with 14% oil package. Also, you tried leaning out a brand new engine too fast before it was broken in and that's why it would not run. The reason why your engine ran better on Byron's is because of the higher nitro content and leaner oil package. Not trying to start any fights, but I wouldn't blame the fuel in this case.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by houston View Post
Being someone who sees soooo many engines internals i can say my opinion is very partial to byrons fuel ,imo best in the industry

I have never personally ran bones so my opinion on it is not from running it but seeing engines that have ran it ,its good

Werks is good imo

What am i forgetting?
Monte I'm not trying to start anything, last thing I like is keyboard wars, but I was recently reading through one of the VP Powermaster threads on here and you posted that you ran 12qts of VP and said it was very good fuel. I'm just wondering how come your opinion changed on this matter and now you don't recommend it? Please don't take this as me instigating anything, I am just curious as to what happened?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
what happened to Cold Fusion Fuel?
He stopped making it.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I run VP 30/9 race never had fuel related issues. I have plenty of picks of my internals if you'd like PM me. I send them.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by houston View Post

Werks is good imo

What am i forgetting?
fhsoils.com
Been running this in my on road .21 motors...good fuel...cheaper the more you buy...don't think many people know of it....
Old 03-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I did a bunch of fuel testing last season looking for a new fuel after the Torco I had run for a few seasons let me down. Locked my engine up solid, without blowing it up. Odd failure for sure, but I never trusted it after that....

So here is what I tried last year:

Torco: Used to love it, but in the past 2-3 years their formula went to crap. Had issues with it gumming up an engine WHILE I was in the middle of a race. Locked up solid like I broke a conrod. Tore it down expected to see metal shards, and there was nothing...just gummed up to hell and nothing would spin anymore.

Werks: Seemed to be pretty consistent, but not easily available to me.

Byrons: Only ran a few quarts since this was one of the last that I tried, but it ran good and is widely available almost everywhere.

Powermaster: I didn't like this one too much. Seemed finicky to me, but I know a lot of guys that have had great luck with it.

Sidewinder: Didn't like it at all personally, but again a lot of guys seem to have good luck with it.

O'Donnell: Meh. The speed blend was OK, but I hated the previous blend they had. Smelled horrid, and had some bad batches that I saw rust the hell out of engine internals. Most guys that run it add extra oil to it.

Nitro Pro: On par with Byrons and Werks for me. Ran very very consistent, and a tad cooler than the others I tried.

Now, I am of course partial to Nitro Pro because Jimbo is sponsoring me this season, but in all actuality his fuel is very very good. I have not run enough through a new engine to see what the internals look like after a few gallons, but from what others have told and shown me....it looks very very promising. I'm no engine builder, but I look for quality from batch to batch, ease of tune, and performance as my criteria for a good fuel. Engine longevity does factor in, but none of the fuels I tried killed any of my engines prematurely without something else going wrong.....so it's a minor factor to me since an engine is a wear item anyway. I expect to get 1 season out of an engine. If it's still running great at the end of the season, I'll keep it as a backup. If not...I throw it away.

I didn't know anything about Nitro Pro before Wicked Weekend last year. I got a few gallons of it at PNB a few months before Wicked that I was reluctant to try because I knew literally nothing about it.

After talking with Jimbo (the guy behind Nitro Pro) I decided it was worth trying and I'm glad I did. It helps that's he is only a few states away from me as well and shipping is quick and not too pricey. Another plus for me was he brews his fuel almost to order most times...so it doesn't spend time sitting on a shelf before I get it.

So anyway...just my .02 cents here after some trial and error last season for me.

Last edited by MotoGod; 03-19-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service