Like Tree36Likes

New break-in method

Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I actually like break-in. Every new engine is different. I like seeing how each new one develops...
All good ... Different 2 strokes ... for different folkz - as they say
Old 04-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalTazer View Post
I dont have the engineering chops - nor the time nor the $$$ to engage in the redesign of the things you mention. I do however; have a gaggle o' nitro engines to break in. Engine break in to me - sucks... time and money and ... so many other things. Exhaust fumes, fuel, place and time, noise issues, the mess of puking phat engines all over a race car [ or even a break in thrasher ] tires that get soaked in fuel blow by - tires wasted running a car around on pavement ... conrods - glow plugs and gallons of fuel.

The idea of spending a few hours rigging up a system like this - to let engines run in whilst I do OTHER things on my rides and in my life - sans all those other negatives I mentioned above - sounds amazingly attractive.

Its NOT about some super high tech break in method that makes engines run and perform better, its about eliminating waste and cost and hassle.
i dunno man, i kinda like the process of feeling out each engine as they come to life, i dont have a battery of engines to break in all at once, i get one at a time as needed and i like the time spent, i got balled junk tires to run on, a few break in tanks also help me feel out a new chassis, i have a dedicated beater to run in engines...if your annoyed by the smoke , oil, and noise... why bother with nitro!!!?? all that trouble just to break in? maybe not trouble to you but i cant wrap around exactly how many engines you end up needing to break in... 20?

i also dont see the cost saving? maybe after you do hundreds of engines sure, but for a lil guy like me, a few tanks wont put me in the poor house... i mean, it is a frivolous hobby, if i wanted to save money, i wouldnt play with toys!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench View Post
i dunno man, i kinda like the process of feeling out each engine as they come to life, i dont have a battery of engines to break in all at once, i get one at a time as needed and i like the time spent, i got balled junk tires to run on, a few break in tanks also help me feel out a new chassis, i have a dedicated beater to run in engines...if your annoyed by the smoke , oil, and noise... why bother with nitro!!!?? all that trouble just to break in? maybe not trouble to you but i cant wrap around exactly how many engines you end up needing to break in... 20?

i also dont see the cost saving? maybe after you do hundreds of engines sure, but for a lil guy like me, a few tanks wont put me in the poor house... i mean, it is a frivolous hobby, if i wanted to save money, i wouldnt play with toys!
The break in machine is kinda cool but I must agree with the wrench. I love it when an engine drops its nuts! it's almost like when my kid took her first few steps. well, not quite but is pretty damn cool and for me, tuning is half the fun. Always chasing that sweet spot, an hour at a time...
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

I also have a beater for break-in. I have an RC8T and an RC8B Worlds buggy, and my beater-breaker-inner is an SC8. So the gearing, engine mount, clutch etc.. in the SC8 is exactly the same as the buggy, so it's an easy switch. For the truggy just a different clutch bell...
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench View Post
if your annoyed by the smoke , oil, and noise... why bother with nitro!!!??
C'mon bro ... anyhow - when breaking in with WOT / phat method on the starter box in a workshop ... car or engine on box or break in stand - smoke and fumes and engine puke can be problematic... blippin around a parking lot after a few tanks is not a big deal - its whilst its on the stand or box - kinda sux - to me.

all that trouble just to break in? maybe not trouble to you but i cant wrap around exactly how many engines you end up needing to break in... 20?
There's 13 in this picture, and I have 3 more mounted on vehicles + 2 more new mills for my Twin Titan build in progress ... This doesnt even have my brothers stuff in there and he's got about as many. These are for myself and my sons vehicles. Rebuilding most of the engines after we had to shove them into storage improperly ... bearings are wasted on most, and as theyre being pulled apart - finding issues - explaining why they tuned like [email protected] or ran poorly. Sleeve piston time or resize.

1 engine a day overnite - whilst I snooze or do other stuff - mmmmmm yeah - I'll take one of those please...

Yaaa ... as you can tell - Im a big penny pinching mizerly spendthrift.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats Rbakker, a repeatable break in method and a very nice equipment for those that handle dozens of engines
Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalTazer View Post
C'mon bro ... anyhow - when breaking in with WOT / phat method on the starter box in a workshop ... car or engine on box or break in stand - smoke and fumes and engine puke can be problematic... blippin around a parking lot after a few tanks is not a big deal - its whilst its on the stand or box - kinda sux - to me.

There's 13 in this picture, and I have 3 more mounted on vehicles + 2 more new mills for my Twin Titan build in progress ... This doesnt even have my brothers stuff in there and he's got about as many. These are for myself and my sons vehicles. Rebuilding most of the engines after we had to shove them into storage improperly ... bearings are wasted on most, and as theyre being pulled apart - finding issues - explaining why they tuned like [email protected] or ran poorly. Sleeve piston time or resize.

1 engine a day overnite - whilst I snooze or do other stuff - mmmmmm yeah - I'll take one of those please...

Yaaa ... as you can tell - Im a big penny pinching mizerly spendthrift.
haahaa!! well done! case in point though, i have 6 fresh engines right now in the loop, but i got em one by one, and ran them in one by one.. i guess i need to get a second job in congress, to start bulk buying my nitro engines, i mean, you can run one radio and infinite cars simultaneously these days thanks to 2.4

i guess you run a race team? or wrench for a lot of guys running?

all in fun bud, break in can suck at times but, i live for that feeling that "ooooh this engine is niceeeee to tune..." over complicating kinda kills the fun, and how sure are you there bed in? do you tear down and take measurements of the piston/sleeve? do you take each new engine apart to measure pinch and piston fit from new? how much time does that take to do? do you have one of those 200 dollar lutz torque wrenches to feel that exact "give"?

just run it in oil over night and its all good...with no base data? im not trying to be a jerk but seriously seems like more work than really needed.. even though its a time saver...
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

So I read through this thread and didn’t find any scientific evidence that this EBIS system truly and positively actually breaks the engine in properly. The loads on the rod ends are not right as they would be under combustion pressures, the temperature differentials in various parts of the liner under combustion heat and pressure are nowhere near the same.... among other things, this sounds like snake oil. Where’s the proof?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

While your 1st topic was closed and you did get 3 links to read through you probably did not read them all. For sure in my building topic many results and discussions with people like you who knows better.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

And beside that, what is this post all about?
Electric guy who may try nitro again, advice?

Before you do the dirty talk you should get your facts right and first try such a break in methode. Adam Drake as a good example has an EBIS and has done many engines for him self and several fellow top drivers and is offering the break in service for everyone.
Arctic RC likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

tapered friction fit components need fitted .... hence the slave break in

i have my own ways and have been doing it for 7-8 yrs with great success in a controlled environment ... many happy racers
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Roelof - I read plenty.

Tapered components like a ringless aluminum piston in a plated bore will fit themselves with use much like an iron piston work hardens from use. ABx engines survive by a different principle than Ferrous engines do, but it still comes down to running the thing in its intended environment - with combustion pressure.

I still don’t see it the benefits.. But thats okay guys. I get it. Like they say - there’s more than one way to skin a cat (and make money).

Makes a guy wonder why the world class pylon aircraft racers never used such a system to run their engines in... Heck, some of them would intentionally shaft run their engine for a few seconds and that literally would give them the edge over the traditionally treated engines..

Last edited by RCTecher12; 12-31-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Tapered friction fitted components fit themselves with use much like an iron piston work hardens from use. I still donít see it the benefits.. But thats okay guys. I get it. Forget I ever challenged your ideas. Like they say - thereís more than one way to skin a cat (and make money).
pistons and liners are never perfectly concentric... there is a cross hatch in the chromed liner that wears on the piston fitting the piston to the sleeve ... whats the question here?

i would never spend over 1k$ on the EBIS system myself ...

in a service oriented business people are purchasing something that makes there lives easier .... traditional break in can be a lil time consuming ... humans are lazy for the most part ...
Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by houston View Post
pistons and liners are never perfectly concentric... there is a cross hatch in the chromed liner that wears on the piston fitting the piston to the sleeve ... whats the question here?

i would never spend over 1k$ on the EBIS system myself ...

in a service oriented business people are purchasing something that makes there lives easier .... traditional break in can be a lil time consuming ... humans are lazy for the most part ...
Exactly. The piston wears ever so slightly to the liner - once warm and the liner is expanded, the piston is kept from contacting the liner via hydrodynamic oil pressure. If all things are done well, the mechanical pinch will last a long time which means the engine will run well for a long time. If your EBIS is there to wear in (out?) the mechanical pinch, you’ll get to peak power quicker at the expense of longevity. I suppose racing does mean disposable powertrains.

Lazy humans. Now we have enough said.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Exactly. The piston wears ever so slightly to the liner - once warm and the liner is expanded, the piston is kept from contacting the liner via hydrodynamic oil pressure.

Lazy humans. Now we have enough said.

question : what exactly are you trying to point out with your posts , i think i lost your point somewhere

i personally love these lil micromotors and have spent a pretty good deal of time making them work great ... i love the basic designs and how much power they can produce for the engine size is unreal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.