Which temp gun?....

Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Which temp gun?....

.... do you use??

I bought a cheap GSI pocket size a few years ago to keep an eye on my electric stuff. Now I'm getting into nitro, I just picked up the Protek TruTemp. Seems pretty solid.... but...

They seem to differ by a good few degrees... testing random stuff... wifes forehead etc haha.

Just wondered what opinion was. I'm sure Exergen will feature but I would struggle to come to terms with the price tag.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captain3810 View Post
.... do you use??

I bought a cheap GSI pocket size a few years ago to keep an eye on my electric stuff. Now I'm getting into nitro, I just picked up the Protek TruTemp. Seems pretty solid.... but...

They seem to differ by a good few degrees... testing random stuff... wifes forehead etc haha.

Just wondered what opinion was. I'm sure Exergen will feature but I would struggle to come to terms with the price tag.

Cheers,
Paul
I have found thru owning about 4-5 different ones, that yes like you said they have all been off here and there. +10 for one, maybe -20 for another, but if I know this one is accurate to within 5-10 of say 3 or 4 others ( no even my own) I would trust what it says..... to a point. I have also seen different batteries affect the temp gun's reading ( lower voltage) and a dirty sensor eye cause weird stuff to happen as well.

I have been running nitro for a while that I have been getting relly used to tunning by feel, sound and smoke of an engine. I can pick my ride out of the other say 15 that are out on the track and can listen to what it is telling me. That has been my best way to tune. Now, during break-in, I have my gun with me to make sure I have plenty of heat in the motor. And maybe in my pocket for the first 2 or 3 race days after that to find out where it is running and what temp it likes to run at just to know for reference.

Because every motor is different, you can not expect a certain "run your motor between this temp and that" but it is a great tool to use. Especially for people who are new to nitro engines. But keep in mind that they will always differ. Even the same 2 motors that came off the assembly line back to back will be different.

I have had motors that run great at 200 degrees and one that wont even think about running good until they are over 250. Back in the 90's when I raced 1/10 gas truck, 180-200 was where most motors ran good and the death temp was 250. I have an Alpha then will not get out of its way before it reaches 250. Comes off the track at 270 after 45 minutes of hard racing. My Werks was just the opposite. 190-220 was the window. At 240ish, it would flame out randomly.

Point to all this is to use that temp gun as a tool in your pit box. Just like a screw driver or a wrench. Get to where you "hear" your engine, how its running and what it needs. Then use your temo gun to see where its at.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

I have a little blue Duratrax Flashpoint temp gun, seems to work well but when reading the instructions I found out they can be set to suit different surfaces, can't remember what the setting is called but if set to read temps on a shiny metal surface like a glow plug they will give an slightly incorrect reading if the temp is checked on a surface like the anodised head even if its read right near the glow plug.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just use an "El Cheapo" to make sure my motors have enough heat in them during break-in. Other than that it stays in the tool bag. At the track I tune by sound and performance.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 AM
Tech Champion

The SkyRC is A good thing
Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just got a Millwalkee temp gun, reasonable price, works well too, very robus design.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2266.../dp/B002EL4LAS
Old 03-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captain3810 View Post
.... do you use??

Cheers,
Paul
Paul, You don't need the exergen. The protek gun is fine. You wont be using it to fine tune....just making sure the engine is hot enough during break in and "within tolerance" as you tune and race. 5 of accuracy isn't going to make or break your tune, and IMO isn't worth the extra 200 bucks.

Also the emissivity of the object you are taking the temp of will change the readout slightly. So....the protek is setup for an aluminum glow plug, if you temp your skin, the reading may be slightly off. This is where the exergen shines....allegedly it adjusts for emissivity automatically.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use a Raytek MT4 w/ laser. I have had it for 15+ years, still works great, and is +/-2% accuracy up to 750F.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

I've not got too much faith in the Exergen guns, despite the $300 pricetag.
At my local track we compared two different exergen guns, and also a $30 orange plastic O'Donnell device.

Now the one Exergen gun indicated the O'donnell device was showing 15 degrees C less than the Exergen gun, so immediately they all went "Oh that's because the O'Donnell is so cheap", then the other Exergen gun showed 10 degrees less than the O'Donnell.

Basicly I'm left wondering why anyone would buy a $300 temp gun if two $300 temp guns are 25C apart in terms of measuring?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
I've not got too much faith in the Exergen guns, despite the $300 pricetag.
At my local track we compared two different exergen guns, and also a $30 orange plastic O'Donnell device.

Now the one Exergen gun indicated the O'donnell device was showing 15 degrees C less than the Exergen gun, so immediately they all went "Oh that's because the O'Donnell is so cheap", then the other Exergen gun showed 10 degrees less than the O'Donnell.

Basicly I'm left wondering why anyone would buy a $300 temp gun if two $300 temp guns are 25C apart in terms of measuring?
That's crazy!

Holy cow....that's a 77 F difference! Jeez
Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks very much guys for all the info and opinions. Interesting reading from Jerm13, thank you... I learnt a lot there. It's much appreciated.

So... long and the short of it is to not worry too much, it's primarily used to keep an eye on temps while going through break in.

This Protek one seems similar in design to the exergen. I like fact the cone shape sits in the head, which makes me think think the readings will be consistent.

Thanks again, guys.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The only time a heat gun is really needed is when you are breaking in a engine. I don't recommend using a temp gun for tuning.