Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
School me on mixing clutch shoe types >

School me on mixing clutch shoe types

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

School me on mixing clutch shoe types

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default School me on mixing clutch shoe types

I have two nitro trucks. They both use 3-shoe clutches with carbon shoes installed. There's no "snap" when the clutch engages, but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff for being able to drag the clutch for several seconds at a time when the truck is running through difficult terrain, without worrying about overheating the clutch bell or galling bits of aluminum onto the clutch bell, requiring me to disassemble and clean it.

Is there any reason why I might want to add one or two aluminum shoes into the clutch anyway, or even replace all three carbon shoes with aluminum? I'm not racing, just bashing, so my primary concern is stable, reliable operation.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 AM
Tech Addict

higher aggressive resposiveness is gained when you put aluminium shoes.. so if you want overall smooth but a punch in power to get to the next obstacle.. go for it.. may well help keep the wheels from overly spinning in take of.. in any car.. inc. 1/8th buggy.. what terrains are you plaining with.. what are you wanting to try next..
Old 02-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

These trucks get driven on grass, pavement, gravel, sandy soil, and hardpack dirt. On sandy soil they can spin their tires pretty easily; on other surfaces, not really. It's only a .18 engine though, so I'm not expecting BONE-CRUSHING POWERRRRR under any circumstances -- I'm just wondering if there would be any advantage to using aluminum shoes. I could just rebuild the clutch and give it a try, but asking the internet is easier, and it's too cold to drive nitro where I live right now.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

How does the car react to aluminum shoes with one .9 spring, one 1.0 spring, and one 1.0 spring?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

I have no idea, I've never tried aluminum shoes before. That approach sounds like it would produce a pretty smooth engagement, but I've heard that mixing spring stiffnesses causes uneven wear. Really though, my main concern is being able to drag the clutch for several seconds at a time without damaging anything, because that's what's necessary to get the vehicle moving when it's stopped in grass.