associated .18 issue

Old 02-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default associated .18 issue

I've had my sc10gt for almost two months now and has been running good but has developed an odd tuning issue. Once running for a while it starts to load up and stall off idle. I'm also concerned about temps, this motor has been running around 250-260 even with cool ambient temperature. I'm getting lot of smoke in the mid throttle fading on longer wide open runs. Running byrons 25% race blend and mc59 plug. Plug used to come out grey but is now much darker. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shein95
I've had my sc10gt for almost two months now and has been running good but has developed an odd tuning issue. Once running for a while it starts to load up and stall off idle. I'm also concerned about temps, this motor has been running around 250-260 even with cool ambient temperature. I'm getting lot of smoke in the mid throttle fading on longer wide open runs. Running byrons 25% race blend and mc59 plug. Plug used to come out grey but is now much darker. Thoughts?
hsn is prolly a little lean and lsn is a bit rich....
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

hopefully I found why the tuning is all over the place all of sudden. Noticed the backing plate is loose.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shein95
hopefully I found why the tuning is all over the place all of sudden. Noticed the backing plate is loose.
Well ther's ur problem right ther.....

If its still acting odd, I give you a hand out at the Pro in a couple weeks. Weather permitting of coarse
Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Well ther's ur problem right ther.....

If its still acting odd, I give you a hand out at the Pro in a couple weeks. Weather permitting of coarse
cool, thank you. i'm about to finish off the first gallon so i may switch to 20% to get the temps down since this thing is far too over powered for 2wd anyway and save the other 3 gallons of 25 for the 1/8 when i get it.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Just switched from Byron 25% to O'Donnell 20% and the idle is almost perfect, just a little too fast and temps are much lower. My diff was slipping so couldn't get a good full throttle in but appeared to be richer. Curious to try Byron 20% to see if it brand or nitro content that helped.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

I'm fed up with this engine, tuning is still not consistent with the exception of it over heats no matter what. it even runs around 200 at idle and 280+ at speed. have a feeling I have some engine damage and maybe something going on in the carb. Just seems a lot of what it's doing contradicts itself. Very rich idle yet it's trying to crawl and then shuts off and won't restart without tinkering with the needles. Are these engines known for difficult tuning?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

I just pulled the engine out and it felt a little crunchy. Think most of it was in the front bearing but noticed that I didn't have gaskets at the backing plate or the head like the parts explosion shows. Hardly seems worth refreshing this motor, guess I'll save up for the os 18 but at the same time I'd rather build a truggy. Anyone want a sc10gt minus motor?