R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default what Off-Road engine has the closest charasteristics to a n On-road engine

Hi all,

For the sake of comparisson and possibly using it as a cheaper option, I am interested in finding out if there is an off-road engine that is close in peroformance to an on-road one. I know they are 2 different animals and purpose built. Is there such engine out there?
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

If you want to use a cheap offroad engine for onroad then just modify one to onroad specs.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I dont know anything about on-road anything other than they dont jump, but with that said aren't off-road engines heavier and not designed to maintain a high rpm for a long period of time like an on-road engine?
Jaymancd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
If you want to use a cheap offroad engine for onroad then just modify one to onroad specs.
That will be a possibility but it will be good to know what engine to start with. Ex. high reving engine, power delivery through the range, peak power coming high in the RPM range. Again, I know I can buy an on-road engine but sometimes I like to run something different to see if I can get the same/close performance.
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Start with an engine that is using the same rod as onroad engines. The better Novarossi offroad models do use a R7 rod as which is used in the high end onroad models. The cheaper models do use a rod from a cheaper material which cannot stand high revs.
A good start is also an engine with a 3-port exhaust design.
When driving a GT such an engine is a direct fit, when using a chassis like the MRX5 and 977 you also need a different carburator.

But for onroad there are enough cheap alternetives needing less mods to go fast. There is the RB Classico, The N21-5T (if you can find one) and even the ISON.21 is very affordable and quite fast. Even with some searching you can find an affordable 35-plus-21 (steal bearings). For Picco based engines there is the Sonic stock and the Xceed PPS.