R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 12-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OS engines

Two questions....

1. What is the main differences in the XZ-B Speed II and the XZ-B VII (Blue head)?

Amain says that they have the same piston/sleeve/crank....So, why the $200 difference? I must be missing something.

2. I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time.

Is there anything special I need to do for maintenance or tuning of this engine compared to my P5?

Originally Posted by pickle311:
Confidence goes a LONG ways in racing and women!
ctsvls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ask in here. Someone should be able to provide you an answer....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...hread-155.html
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

i believe the only difference between the two is the crank and rear ceramic bearing on the speed.
coneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvls2 View Post
Two questions....

1. What is the main differences in the XZ-B Speed II and the XZ-B VII (Blue head)?

Amain says that they have the same piston/sleeve/crank....So, why the $200 difference? I must be missing something.

2. I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time.

Is there anything special I need to do for maintenance or tuning of this engine compared to my P5?
According to OS's website the XZB ver 2 blue head uses the same piston, sleeve, con rod and crankshaft as the xzb speed II but the crank does not have the dlc coating and it does not have a rear ceramic crank bearing either. It also doesnt have the three needle carb the speed II has. But OS has rated the xzb power a little higher. I haven't seen a review of the xzb ver II but I am leaning towards it for car!
stoney452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

DLC crank and the carb are the biggest differences, as mentioned above the ceramic rear bearing and the the Venturi are plastic not red ano alum. I haven't seen one run but I know how the spec II screams so the ver II should not disappoint.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
DLC crank and the carb are the biggest differences, as mentioned above the ceramic rear bearing and the the Venturi are plastic not red ano alum. I haven't seen one run but I know how the spec II screams so the ver II should not disappoint.
Hey Frank do you really see more output power with a ceramic rear bearing, the Dlc coating and a metal venturai insert? Just wondering but also the xzb ver 2 has a different carb than the xzb speed II. The old blue head xzb had the same carb as the speed two but it was not anodized black like speed. It was still a monster engine for me. I will find out when I get my xzb ver2 in a month or so.Thanks Michael J
stoney452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney452 View Post
Hey Frank do you really see more output power with a ceramic rear bearing, the Dlc coating and a metal venturai insert? Just wondering but also the xzb ver 2 has a different carb than the xzb speed II. The old blue head xzb had the same carb as the speed two but it was not anodized black like speed. It was still a monster engine for me. I will find out when I get my xzb ver2 in a month or so.Thanks Michael J
I don't think a ceramic bearing puts out that much more power, they are smoother which can translate into efficiency but I doubt anyone can feel a power difference. I usually replace the bearings with boca steel when they need to be swapped out.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What would this manifold to the power band? http://www.amain.com/os-m2002sc-off-...sembly/p300138

I know it will come with the new ty edition speed when it comes out.
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by egobrkr View Post
What would this manifold to the power band? http://www.amain.com/os-m2002sc-off-...sembly/p300138

I know it will come with the new ty edition speed when it comes out.
Increase the bottom
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Tech Master

Ok that's what I'm looking for. I have a .19 speed and would like a little more bottom end.
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Tech Lord

It's longer than the sc2000 that comes with the 2060/2090 pipe sets.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Tech Master

I have a 2060 set now. The holes for the springs are getting worn out. I was going to get a 2090 set and the 2002 manifold to try. At some point I will get the b2101 and then I will have options between the .21 and .19 speed.
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

Ive seen the OS 21 V II race and it does rip hard.. for the price other than that it doesnt sport the speed features... it is competitive and sounds great as OS's do i was going for one but got a great deal on a REDS...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvls2 View Post
...I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time....
Quick update...I now have a couple track days on this engine and it is a BEAST! There is TONS of mid range power, and she screams down the straight.

I am considering ordering a new Samurai and placing the VZ-B on backup...but its running so well, I may just keep using it.

Originally Posted by pickle311:
Confidence goes a LONG ways in racing and women!
ctsvls2 is offline   Reply With Quote