R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
ctsvls2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seabrook. TX
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OS engines

Two questions....

1. What is the main differences in the XZ-B Speed II and the XZ-B VII (Blue head)?

Amain says that they have the same piston/sleeve/crank....So, why the $200 difference? I must be missing something.

2. I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time.

Is there anything special I need to do for maintenance or tuning of this engine compared to my P5?
__________________
AKA "porkchop"


Originally Posted by pickle311:
Confidence goes a LONG ways in racing and women!
ctsvls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Jerm13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Ask in here. Someone should be able to provide you an answer....


http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...hread-155.html
__________________
Serpent Cobra-TE RCR Nova P5 / Serpent SRX8 Werks B7ProKE
AE SC10.2/////AE B5M CE/////AKA/////Serpent America/////Desoto Racing
Spektrum Radios and Servos, Tekin Speedo's and Motors, SMC Batteries
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
coneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Qld, Australia
Posts: 805
Default

i believe the only difference between the two is the crank and rear ceramic bearing on the speed.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI4 / OS Speed Spec II / OS 2090 / Protek / AKA / Futaba 4PL / VP 25%
RC10GT2 FT / OS 12CV-R / XP-Hitec / ProLine-JConcepts / Futaba 4PL / Sidewinder 16%
Sponsor - Visa Platinum
coneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvls2 View Post
Two questions....

1. What is the main differences in the XZ-B Speed II and the XZ-B VII (Blue head)?

Amain says that they have the same piston/sleeve/crank....So, why the $200 difference? I must be missing something.

2. I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time.

Is there anything special I need to do for maintenance or tuning of this engine compared to my P5?
According to OS's website the XZB ver 2 blue head uses the same piston, sleeve, con rod and crankshaft as the xzb speed II but the crank does not have the dlc coating and it does not have a rear ceramic crank bearing either. It also doesnt have the three needle carb the speed II has. But OS has rated the xzb power a little higher. I haven't seen a review of the xzb ver II but I am leaning towards it for car!
stoney452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,521
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

DLC crank and the carb are the biggest differences, as mentioned above the ceramic rear bearing and the the Venturi are plastic not red ano alum. I haven't seen one run but I know how the spec II screams so the ver II should not disappoint.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
DLC crank and the carb are the biggest differences, as mentioned above the ceramic rear bearing and the the Venturi are plastic not red ano alum. I haven't seen one run but I know how the spec II screams so the ver II should not disappoint.
Hey Frank do you really see more output power with a ceramic rear bearing, the Dlc coating and a metal venturai insert? Just wondering but also the xzb ver 2 has a different carb than the xzb speed II. The old blue head xzb had the same carb as the speed two but it was not anodized black like speed. It was still a monster engine for me. I will find out when I get my xzb ver2 in a month or so.Thanks Michael J
stoney452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,521
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney452 View Post
Hey Frank do you really see more output power with a ceramic rear bearing, the Dlc coating and a metal venturai insert? Just wondering but also the xzb ver 2 has a different carb than the xzb speed II. The old blue head xzb had the same carb as the speed two but it was not anodized black like speed. It was still a monster engine for me. I will find out when I get my xzb ver2 in a month or so.Thanks Michael J
I don't think a ceramic bearing puts out that much more power, they are smoother which can translate into efficiency but I doubt anyone can feel a power difference. I usually replace the bearings with boca steel when they need to be swapped out.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
egobrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,863
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

What would this manifold to the power band? http://www.amain.com/os-m2002sc-off-...sembly/p300138

I know it will come with the new ty edition speed when it comes out.
__________________
Mugen MBX7R Triton L5 Picco 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7T Triton L5 Triton 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7R Eco Tekin RX8 Gen2 Tekin 2050kv
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,521
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egobrkr View Post
What would this manifold to the power band? http://www.amain.com/os-m2002sc-off-...sembly/p300138

I know it will come with the new ty edition speed when it comes out.
Increase the bottom
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
egobrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,863
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Ok that's what I'm looking for. I have a .19 speed and would like a little more bottom end.
__________________
Mugen MBX7R Triton L5 Picco 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7T Triton L5 Triton 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7R Eco Tekin RX8 Gen2 Tekin 2050kv
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,521
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

It's longer than the sc2000 that comes with the 2060/2090 pipe sets.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
egobrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,863
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I have a 2060 set now. The holes for the springs are getting worn out. I was going to get a 2090 set and the 2002 manifold to try. At some point I will get the b2101 and then I will have options between the .21 and .19 speed.
__________________
Mugen MBX7R Triton L5 Picco 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7T Triton L5 Triton 2120 pipe M2C clutch
Mugen MBX7R Eco Tekin RX8 Gen2 Tekin 2050kv
youtube.com/user/egobrkr
Thanks to my sponsors Mugen Seiki and Radiopost
egobrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #13
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 576
Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta
Default

Ive seen the OS 21 V II race and it does rip hard.. for the price other than that it doesnt sport the speed features... it is competitive and sounds great as OS's do i was going for one but got a great deal on a REDS...
__________________
(VOID TO BE FILLED SOON)-6MIK Racing- REDS 5TE2-Ninja JX21 BO2-REDs Quattro Clutch C&Alu shoes - Highest DT1100- Airtronics mt4
HIPEX 2108 M Manifold - Podified Race Blend Fuel
DaRaceMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
ctsvls2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seabrook. TX
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvls2 View Post
...I purchased a used VZ-B from a local racer this past weekend. It was rebuilt about a gallon ago and has a new DLC coated crank in it. I usually wouldn't buy a used engine (especially rebuilt) but this one came well recommended and included a LOSI RE10 pipe. I paid 50 bucks for both, so felt it was worth the gamble. I fired the engine up after the races last weekend, but have not been able to put it on the track yet. It seemed flawless on the box, Smooth, fell back to idle as soon as I came off the throttle, held good idle for a long time....
Quick update...I now have a couple track days on this engine and it is a BEAST! There is TONS of mid range power, and she screams down the straight.

I am considering ordering a new Samurai and placing the VZ-B on backup...but its running so well, I may just keep using it.
__________________
AKA "porkchop"


Originally Posted by pickle311:
Confidence goes a LONG ways in racing and women!
ctsvls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net