Wiki Posts
Search

Idle Screw Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Idle Screw Help.

Hey guys, i have a problem with my idle screw on my Nova P5. It seems to be not doing anything at all. It wont adjust the idle gap whether i screw it in or screw it out. The idle gap sort of just moves freely and stays in one spot even with the idle screw completely out. How would i fix this?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you might have to remove the slide the barrel. there is a groove that the idle screw sits in. if you unscrewed it all the way then you have to turn the barrel or slide where the groove is for the needle.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is it possible to place the screw on the groove without removing the slide completely?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

all you have to do is remove the carb boot and slide it out. not sure of any other way.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Took out the slide, and angled the groove with the idle. It still doesn't work, however when the idle screw is screwed all the way in, it prevents the slide from moving at all.
As you can see in the pic, the idle is almost fully loosened, and the slide isnt even closed yet.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's like a rectangled groove. It might not be in properly. Also is the low speed needle screwed in far? Make sure it's a little sticking out pass flush
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nope, the lsn is sticking out pass flush. I could feel the idle screw on the groove, it's preventing the slide itself to not rotate and sit in one position. But, it's still not affecting the idle gap at all. When im adjusting, the slide should be pushed in all the way right?

Got some better pics. Slide stayed the same the whole time.

Last edited by I Wheelie A LOT; 12-06-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Hook the linkage up and adjust from there. The dust boot is not going to let it shut completely. Find someone that's familiar with a nitro rc car and let them help you.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tip. I actually did put it back on the linkage, and tried to find a solution. No luck so far, but from looking at my Picco's carb, i noticed that even when fully braked, the idle gap stays at a 1mm opening. However on my nova, when at full brake, the slide goes all the way through and stalls the engine. I would usually result to the idle screw to fix that, but its not adjusting to the slightest bit
Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Take it apart and look to see what's happening. There is no way an idle screw cannot work unless your carb slide is not installed properly or the carb is stripped so bad that turning the screw does not move the adjustment. I think you have accidentally screwed the idle into the carb slide and punctured it causing it to no longer slide properly. Remove the idle screw completely and take the small set screw out of the ball end collar and remove that also. Pull off the rubber boot and pull the carb slide all the way out and off the carb. Inspect it good for holes or scratches and let us know what you find. Do not put it back together until you give us an update.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Tech Lord

Is this the right screw? To me it does not look like it.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Idle screw typically has to be flush with the carb body otherwise it will allow to the carb to fully close. In from flush and it will start to hold the slide of the carb open forming your idle gap. How far in is before your slide starts locking? I've never run into a situation where that happened.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I Wheelie A LOT
Took out the slide, and angled the groove with the idle. It still doesn't work, however when the idle screw is screwed all the way in, it prevents the slide from moving at all.
As you can see in the pic, the idle is almost fully loosened, and the slide isnt even closed yet.
so are you trying to close the gap using your fingers when you adjust the slide ? they don't auto return ...just moving the needle wont move the slide unless you move it as the needle is just a set stop..... when inside the car if your linkage sn't set properly the carb wont work correctly
Old 12-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Are you able to open and close the throttle slide with your fingers ?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Take it apart and look to see what's happening. There is no way an idle screw cannot work unless your carb slide is not installed properly or the carb is stripped so bad that turning the screw does not move the adjustment. I think you have accidentally screwed the idle into the carb slide and punctured it causing it to no longer slide properly. Remove the idle screw completely and take the small set screw out of the ball end collar and remove that also. Pull off the rubber boot and pull the carb slide all the way out and off the carb. Inspect it good for holes or scratches and let us know what you find. Do not put it back together until you give us an update.
I managed to see this little dent on one side of the carb slide. Could this be it?

Originally Posted by madweazl
Idle screw typically has to be flush with the carb body otherwise it will allow to the carb to fully close. In from flush and it will start to hold the slide of the carb open forming your idle gap. How far in is before your slide starts locking? I've never run into a situation where that happened.
My carb starts locking when the idle screw is almost screwed in all the way. And i think it's one of those carbs where it does not screw into the carb body.

Originally Posted by Maximo
Are you able to open and close the throttle slide with your fingers ?
Yep, with ease. Problem is, the idle screw isn't setting up a set stop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.