Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Properly cleaning new engine.. >

Properly cleaning new engine..

Properly cleaning new engine..

Old 11-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Properly cleaning new engine..

What's your method, I have a brand new 19 speed that want to clean. Like a year or so ago I saw a guy clean a brand new one and had pictures of shavings from the metal, if you have info on what stuff I can use to clean it or scrub it I would be stokked! Gasoline?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've never had one that looked really bad inside. I've never dileberately disassembled and cleaned. Instead, I open up the idle gap and run them as rich as possible to keep them running with the goal of introducing as much lubrication as possible.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you really want to clean it properly you'll need to tear the engine right down including removing the bearings (easier if you have a puller) flush with nitro fuel or automotive brake cleaner, lube when reassembling ....

If you want to do a half job, remove the back plate and flush with fuel (this won't achieve all that much!)

Last edited by Bill8Truggy; 11-16-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

dont take it apart, run it extra rich to flush out any small shavings/particles. IF you have to ask i would be against you doing it. I dont tear engines apart before running them and I've not had any issues ever. BUT if you had to I would only remove the headbutton, carb and backplate and flush with fuel. thats it.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have done both clean it and just break it in and whenever I tear them apart and flush with fuel I find metal specs in the flush. I have never seen any difference in performance or longevity.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

either way I use wd40 with qtips and air compressor then re-oil each part as you put it back together. The bearing can stay in place on a new engine.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Some people are used from the old days to remove all sharp edges from where the small metal particles can come from. Todays CNC work is much better but also some afterwork with a stone centrifuge will take away the sharp edges.

Ofcourse it can do no harm to do some afterwork because it also gives some positive tolerances.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:07 AM
am
Tech Master

Do not use wd40 if your engine has a silicon filled crank.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've had good luck by pulling the backplate, carb, head, and using my fuel bottle to force raw fuel thru the motor. Then I simply reassemble things, paying close attention to the o rings on the carb and back plate...very little work for a big piece of mind IMHO
Old 11-15-2014, 04:12 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hustler777 View Post
I've had good luck by pulling the backplate, carb, head, and using my fuel bottle to force raw fuel thru the motor. Then I simply reassemble things, paying close attention to the o rings on the carb and back plate...very little work for a big piece of mind IMHO
+1 I clean my new engines the same way.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

If you just remove the head button and back plate, you run the risk of flushing filings into the main bearing.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

You need to take the sleeve and crankshaft out.
After that any cleaning method is good. Even just fumbling around with your finger will collect the shavings.

The most important thing to me is oiling up a new engine real good, as usually they're not very well lubricated.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default haha

Originally Posted by am View Post
Do not use wd40 if your engine has a silicon filled crank.
Ok I don't leave it sitting on the silicone I just clean with it then blow it away then oil. It has never hurt a silicone crank in any of my engines when used for cleaning when the engine is taken apart. all my engines have silicone. Certainly don't just shoot wd40 inside an engine that is together. It works better than denatured alcohol in breaking up gunk on parts. Ive tried it all and wd40 still works best. q tips are good for getting in tight places inside the case.