Franken-engine.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Franken-engine.

Has anyone tried taking the best parts of different motors and building one excellent motor?

What would you use and why? Can it be done? Id like something that makes smooth power and revs all day long. Decent mileage but not overly concerned with that. What could be built out of cheap ass parts off ebay? Case, head, bearings, crank, p/s and carb. Or is there enough decent .21s that would should be able to find something to your liking without resorting to building your own?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Engine parts are mostly specific to that engine. You can't just throw random engine parts together and have it work properly.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bksrt View Post
Has anyone tried taking the best parts of different motors and building one excellent motor?

What would you use and why? Can it be done? Id like something that makes smooth power and revs all day long. Decent mileage but not overly concerned with that. What could be built out of cheap ass parts off ebay? Case, head, bearings, crank, p/s and carb. Or is there enough decent .21s that would should be able to find something to your liking without resorting to building your own?
You would have to do a lot of measuring to make sure it fits.

Crank for instance. You have the OD of the flute, where the bearings fit, the crank pin, the throw of the crank.

Rod, Both bearing ID's, length, interfearance during the stroke.

Piston/ sleeve, do the ports line up with the case, skirt clearance, rod clearance, compression.

Its a pretty long and in depth list.

I think the most widely used and better engines was the Ninja/OS B01.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

A buddy put a JQ p/s/r into a XZ speed and it runs pretty good but mileage is sub what I would want to see and power is about the same. Better to stick with what's suppose to be in there and not touch it. These mills are run through a cnc machine to very high completely reproducible tolerances for all parts take a peek at the orion video that was released a while back. The JQ parts in a xz speed engine are almost the same thing, yet the result was less than desired.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

I have done this some times but it was only with used parts to see how much work it is and how the results will be. It was all about of setting up a cheap engine for some practise
Indeed you have to know the timings and measure the new setup if it is right.

They have run well:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/evo5/modmotor.htm

But it is better to learn more about timings and how to change them....
Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I have done this some times but it was only with used parts to see how much work it is and how the results will be. It was all about of setting up a cheap engine for some practise
Indeed you have to know the timings and measure the new setup if it is right.

They have run well:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/evo5/modmotor.htm

But it is better to learn more about timings and how to change them....
Roelof, can you explain the theory behind the grooves in the head button?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Search on "Singh grooves" and you will find the guy behind it.

After the combustion a little bit of flow is sended to the squish band through these channels and the rest will follow when the piston goes down from TDC. Normally you have a brown spot in the middle of the piston and with these grooves it is wider spread so the power of the combustion is wider spread over the surface of the piston.

On larger engines it does give more midrange power and a better milage. The midrange power I have noticed when shifting into 2nd gear but the milage not. A friend running large scales did also try it and he did notice a better milage.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

I remember reading an engine mod thread on here where there was some info on it, Roelof, do you remember it?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...d-engines.html
Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Knowing what i know (or think i do) all that does is lower the compression ratio of the engine because the combustion chamber is now bigger. Decreasing its size is a standard practice in gasoline engines for dramatically increasing power.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
I remember reading an engine mod thread on here where there was some info on it, Roelof, do you remember it?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...-button-2.html