Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Personal opinions about these 3 O.S. engines PLEASE!!! >

Personal opinions about these 3 O.S. engines PLEASE!!!

Personal opinions about these 3 O.S. engines PLEASE!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Personal opinions about these 3 O.S. engines PLEASE!!!

I'm about to buy a new O.S. engine for my new Mugen MBX6R I just got.

I've never owned an O.S. before have tuned one and I already know they're all good.

I'm just stuck trying to decide between these 3:

12180 21XZ-B ABC 21J2 - $289

12200 21XR-B (P) - $230

21XZ-B V2 ABC 22B2 carb - $320

The price tag ain't much of a difference to me here. I almost ordered that all black XZ-B that was $450. I decided no on that one to have a little extra budget for a starter box and new body.

So any of these 3 will be fine but I just can't decide. Is any one of the 3 listed above better for the money than the others or is one just all out way better than the others? Are any particularly bad?

The $289 one is now discontinued but I'm thinking that's the closest of the 3 to the black one I wanted.

So if any of you O.S. users could get back to me with some opinions before I dump hundreds on one of these, that would be most greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post

I've never owned an O.S. before have tuned one and I already know they're all good.

12200 21XR-B (P) - $230

The price tag ain't much of a difference to me here. I almost ordered that all black XZ-B that was $450. I decided no on that one to have a little extra budget for a starter box and new body.

So any of these 3 will be fine but I just can't decide. Is any one of the 3 listed above better for the money than the others or is one just all out way better than the others? Are any particularly bad?

The $289 one is now discontinued but I'm thinking that's the closest of the 3 to the black one I wanted.

So if any of you O.S. users could get back to me with some opinions before I dump hundreds on one of these, that would be most greatly appreciated.
Last OS I ran was the V-Spec but I have seen the Speed and XZ-B's run a lot around here. Your choice all depends on what you are going to be doing with it, your budget ( which you have decided on already) and what you want out of it.

The XR-B is more of a budget motor. Its good but not great.

The 2 XZ-B's are the top tier of the OS line without going into the Speed Versions. They work really well in buggy, are easy to tune, last a long time if taken care of them and treat them right, and will provide you with more power and "usable" motor than the XR-B.

If you are stuck on OS, I would seriously look at the Speed. Better than all 3 you mentioned. But like you said, about $150 more than the XZ-B.

Or you can wait until the new B2101 (??????) comes out if its not out already? Its the new hotness from everying that is said

Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post

12200 21XR-B (P) - $230

out of those 3 i would get the 21XZ-B V2 ABC 22B2 carb - $320. the only difference between it and the speed II is the crank and the ceramic rear bearing. pair it with a 2090 pipe. or the 2058.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as I concerned you couldn't go wrong with any one of these engines. I have XZB blue head and it such a great motor. I run vp 30% power master fuel and and a Jammin jp 4 pipe and it is so wicked on the track. I saw am xzb on ebay the other day for $269.00 on sale and If I had the cash I'd buy it right now just to have.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have ran OS engines for many years now. I have tried many others and tuned just about everything out there for my fellow racer. The OS engines just plain rock, nova comes in a close second, but IMO the OS line will not let you down. I even ran OS in my 600 heli the brief time I had it

The post above, coneman says it all.
The XZb V2 replaces the XZB.
The XRB is a buget engine. It will still run good but the other 2 will be quite a step up. If the $$$ is not an issue then I would recommend exactly as above XZB V2 with the OS 2090 or Werks 2058 if the 2090 is a little much $$$
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I have ran OS engines for many years now. I have tried many others and tuned just about everything out there for my fellow racer. The OS engines just plain rock, nova comes in a close second, but IMO the OS line will not let you down. I even ran OS in my 600 heli the brief time I had it

The post above, coneman says it all.
The XZb V2 replaces the XZB.
The XRB is a buget engine. It will still run good but the other 2 will be quite a step up. If the $$$ is not an issue then I would recommend exactly as above XZB V2 with the OS 2090 or Werks 2058 if the 2090 is a little much $$$
Ok, the V2 it is then.

I might actually be running a JP 4 with this like Stoney452.

I recently tuned and helped somebody with a Kyosho that had an OS w/ JP4 and it screamed.

My JP4 is ciurrently on a brand new Nova Rossi Rex Paloma Lim ed I just got. Havn't even finished breaking it in yet. About 2 more runs and then tuning it but from what I understand, the JP4 might not be quite right with the Rex so I already plan to get the NR Superstrong pipe for that.

This JP4 wasn't quite right with my Beat 5 either. The JP1 is so much better on that but seeing how the JP4 worked with the OS I already have some experience with, I kinda got the plan.

I just needed a little direction with these 3 OSs now and now I have it.

Thank you.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The JP4 pipe runs great on these engines it's just a fuel hog. The other 2 mentioned perform just as good if not better and yield better mileage with the 2090 being the best all around.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
The JP4 pipe runs great on these engines it's just a fuel hog. The other 2 mentioned perform just as good if not better and yield better mileage with the 2090 being the best all around.
I would like to try a 2090pipe with my xzb but I dont have the money to do it right now in fact I have a brand new Ofna x3 in the box and when the funds become available I am going to get a new xzbII for it. I love this engine it Just runs and I am not into racing and i could care less about it but i just like to run my x2 with my xzb and the jp4 pipe and its fast enough for me! Is the 2090 pipe quieter than the jp4? I heard that from some one else. I have a ofna 2089 pipe that came with the sabre and I dont know much about it either. but I will try first and if I will get a 2090 pipe and go for there. Thanks Michael J