R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

Yeah definitely standard plug. O.S 8 medium should work but O.S 7 med/hot might be slightly better.
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Right on. Ill give that a try then. Thanks for all your help eveyone!
bksrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
Yeah definitely standard plug. O.S 8 medium should work but O.S 7 med/hot might be slightly better.

How ya duin ozziii?

Had problems with my 'Massive Mods' Go .21 flaming out yesterday at my local club's new track.
Stripped down today to try and find out why we just could not get it to run at wot without providing a distinct pop and then flaming out. The carb slider was set to open only half way, as per MM's instructions, and opening it wider later made no difference to the problem anyway.
Glow plugs (both green or red Merlins)were not damaged, the pinch is still very good, only had approx 2 ltrs (Podified 25%) through the engine. The running in was done according to Massive Mods instructions, and I added the extra .2 copper shim to the existing 1x .3 ally and .2 copper shims just to be on the safe side. The only thing that did become very noticeable was the HSN became more loose, not wobbly but much easier to turn than what is was when new.
But after today's strip down of both carb and engine, there is nothing to see but a beautiful condition button head, piston, liner and a very airtight carb, front bearing and crankcase.
Could the extra copper shim be too much? The present total thickness is .7mm. The slider/idle gap is set at .5 mm and the 6.5 restrictor is then fitted.
The engine idle is a steady purr and after pinching the fuel tube 10 mm's from the nipple, she dies after 3-4 seconds without revving up.
Sorry about the length of this post, needed to provide as much info as poss.

Last edited by Palebushman; 12-15-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: 4Got the smilies;-)
Palebushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

Marks engines are shimmed for 25%/10%, actually made to suit NEO+ 25% from what Mark told me so that extra shim may be causing an issue somewhere, compression to low.
Also, the very small 6.5mm restrictor will limit top end a bit as there isn't enough air/fuel getting through, small restrictor produces more low end power & less top end from everything I've read.
Standard restrictor in the Godzilla is 8mm & even with that & the right pipe (Go 2072) & right tune, 10+ minutes should be achievable, I run the 7.5mm (Mark told me I was better off with the 8mm though) & it seems very good, I use O.S P4 (sometimes P5) plugs & NEO+ 25%, never had a plug problem, power problem or runtime problem.

Sounds a bit strange for a near new engine but going back to standard might be worth a shot just to see if the changes are the problem.
As the compression is low with the .7 shim stack, & you have the small 6.5mm restrictor, thats what could be the problem, low compression & only a small amount of air/fuel.
Might be something totally different but its worth checking.
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
Sounds a bit strange for a near new engine but going back to standard might be worth a shot just to see if the changes are the problem.
As the compression is low with the .7 shim stack, & you have the small 6.5mm restrictor, thats what could be the problem, low compression & only a small amount of air/fuel.
Might be something totally different but its worth checking.
You're right on the money ozziii

Put everything back to 'Out Of The Box' and now running great.

Maybe by putting in that extra shim and the 6.5 restrictor did help with the 'Running In' process, but I should have removed them before trying 'WOT' at the race meeting. Well done Paul and thanks for getting me back on the rails

NB! I had overlooked the fact that the 'Button' already has a .2mm shim as part of it's design, eg; it can't be removed but must be taken into account when adding/subtracting extra shims. My stack total was .1mm short of 1MM Causing the timing to be well out, hence the popping/backfires.

Last edited by Palebushman; 12-31-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Default GO GXII-Plus Engine

Okay guys, I realise this thread is a bit old, but I was just wondering if there are any fellow GO Engine owners out there, that may have the GXII-Plus engine.
I have recently purchased a brand new one that came complete with carb restrictors, header, muffler and spare set of shims;
and I'm about to perform the 'run-in' procedure on the little fella.

The value for money that my chosen GO engine importer sells them for, was too hard to turn down.
Personally, I think these engines are beautifully made, and for the none sponsored drivers with limited budgets, they are one of the best options out there.

Last edited by Palebushman; 11-22-2015 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Hopefully Re-Vitalise this thread:-)