Like Tree1Likes

pre-heating drawbacks?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 AM
  #1  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default pre-heating drawbacks?

Hi,

since I began nitro I realised most people don't preheat their engines... why is this?

to me preheating is a must, but maybe I'm missing something
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:25 AM
  #2  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
HomicidalBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Hi,

since I began nitro I realised most people don't preheat their engines... why is this?

to me preheating is a must, but maybe I'm missing something
There are no drawbacks to preheating as far as I'm aware. But most people just choose not to heat them after they're broken in because there is much less wear involved when there is no mechanical pinch. You're obviously one of the few people who take great care of their engines and have the temperament to heat your engine every time. Most people (including me) dont have that temperament to spend 5 minutes heating, or the money to buy a comp-heat heater.
HomicidalBunny is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 AM
  #3  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny View Post
There are no drawbacks to preheating as far as I'm aware. But most people just choose not to heat them after they're broken in because there is much less wear involved when there is no mechanical pinch. You're obviously one of the few people who take great care of their engines and have the temperament to heat your engine every time. Most people (including me) dont have that temperament to spend 5 minutes heating, or the money to buy a comp-heat heater.
I'm pretty much a noob in nitro actually but a preheater is about 35$ and engines are very expensive in comparison.. you can preheat your engine while doing something else so you don't loose any time. On the track you'll only have to preheat once or twice if you run constantly (which is what I do) but maybe most drivers don't run for so long without making a pause. I'm used to run 6/7 tanks without stopping.

In your opinion pre-heating is not needed after the break-in or it's still usefull to prevent wear?
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
beidle99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,930
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I always preheat, even after the engines are broken in. I run my engines hard and like to be at temp as soon as I drop it on the track. Got almost 8 gallons on my plus 4 before a rebuild, and Fusion x5 is at 5 gallons and still strong. Compression is so good that its hard to turn over by hand when cold.
beidle99 is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 AM
  #5  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
HomicidalBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I'm pretty much a noob in nitro actually but a preheater is about 35$ and engines are very expensive in comparison.. you can preheat your engine while doing something else so you don't loose any time. On the track you'll only have to preheat once or twice if you run constantly (which is what I do) but maybe most drivers don't run for so long without making a pause. I'm used to run 6/7 tanks without stopping.
Once your engine is broken in, as far as I know you won't make a huge impact on further wear if you don't preheat. You may put slightly more stress on the conrod, but that's about it. A good engine heater is more than $35, they're more like $90 for Competition Heat or IB Prostart engine heaters, or you can spend $30 on a heat gun, which will reach higher temps but means you have to stand there holding the heat gun. The only reason I use a heat gun is because it's much cheaper.

To cut a long story short, you shouldnt dramatically shorten the life of your engine if you don't preheat it SO LONG AS your engine is COMPLETELY broken in - that is, there is absolutely ZERO mechanical pinch. If you dont preheat it with pinch still present you can actually be wearing your Piston/Sleeve prematurely.
HomicidalBunny is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
beidle99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,930
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

New comp heaters ar $50 now, at least in the US. Before that I made mine with a 12V heating element and a comp heater cover for about $70.
beidle99 is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by beidle99 View Post
New comp heaters ar $50 now, at least in the US. Before that I made mine with a 12V heating element and a comp heater cover for about $70.
really?

here they are 28€ only.. it may be the 1st time something is cheaper in Europe .. with Kyosho kits

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny View Post
Once your engine is broken in, as far as I know you won't make a huge impact on further wear if you don't preheat. You may put slightly more stress on the conrod, but that's about it. A good engine heater is more than $35, they're more like $90 for Competition Heat or IB Prostart engine heaters, or you can spend $30 on a heat gun, which will reach higher temps but means you have to stand there holding the heat gun. The only reason I use a heat gun is because it's much cheaper.

To cut a long story short, you shouldnt dramatically shorten the life of your engine if you don't preheat it SO LONG AS your engine is COMPLETELY broken in - that is, there is absolutely ZERO mechanical pinch. If you dont preheat it with pinch still present you can actually be wearing your Piston/Sleeve prematurely.
Ok I see, we also used a heat gun before but it's boring to do so I bought a pre-heater.. with a 3S lipo.

do you know what temp the preheater reaches? is hotter always better?
Pulse_ is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  #8  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
HomicidalBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
really?

here they are 28 only.. it may be the 1st time something is cheaper in Europe .. with Kyosho kits



Ok I see, we also used a heat gun before but it's boring to do so I bought a pre-heater.. with a 3S lipo.

do you know what temp the preheater reaches? is hotter always better?
Comp-Heat heaters tend to reach around 80*C (or 175*F), so not quite as hot as operating temp, but good enough to break in engines with and general pre-heating.

Hotter is not always better - you CAN go too hot. I would say you don't want to exceed 150*C, as overheating your engine can warp the crankcase and/or Piston/Sleeve/Conrod. Generally, preheating to 80*C~90*C is just fine.
HomicidalBunny is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 AM
  #9  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 8,348
Default

The new SkyRC can be found for just 30 euro, it heats up to 80 degrees C and it has a timer of about 10 minutes.

But yes, using a heater will give bennefits, not only with the lifespan of the motor but also the warming up before running a heat or final. Because the engine is almost ready to run on performance level you do get more practise time to run on full throttle before the start.
ryanster1999 likes this.
Roelof is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 AM
  #10  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (11)
 
Maximo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,901
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Pre-Heating can cause some fuels to turn to glue inside your engine.......Makes a huge mess and causes all sorts of goofy doodle running issues.
Maximo is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 AM
  #11  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,049
Default

Preheating is overrated and overexpensive afaic.. A Comp Heat with lipo etc is easily €100+.. Hassle too having to constantly charge(especially with a heavy-axx gel cell.. Lipos are lighter but higher maintenance.). I just use mine with no battery now to get up to temps quicker..

I'll use a cheapo hair drier at a track with electricity, but even that gets to be a pain. Now I just preheat before the first 2 or 3 tanks of break-in..

I've had high-pinch Go's etc live long, good lives, never having been preheated. Again, overrated afaic.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 09-22-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Herrsavage is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 AM
  #12  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
HomicidalBunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 714
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Pre-Heating can cause some fuels to turn to glue inside your engine.......Makes a huge mess and causes all sorts of goofy doodle running issues.
So you don't even recommend to preheat during break in?
HomicidalBunny is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  #13  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,381
Default

Never start my engine without heating them. I think it extends the life of the engine.
Chris Reilly is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (94)
 
rider313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 4,436
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

As long as you use a good quality fuel you wont see the issue Neal described.
rider313 is offline  
Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 AM
  #15  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Ok, sounds like if you have the time you better preheat your engine then
Pulse_ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.