Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
what team orion engine is this? >

what team orion engine is this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what team orion engine is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default what team orion engine is this?

Hi, I bought a second hand MP9 TKI 3 with a team orion engine, but I cant figure out which one it is.. the previous owner didnt remember.

maybe some of you can see which engine it is?
Attached Thumbnails what team orion engine is this?-10617522_10152189427396637_1460959880_n.jpg   what team orion engine is this?-10622041_10152189427171637_1231519855_n.jpg  
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looking around it looks like an old CRF. Orion website doesn't show that engine and I can't find much that looks similar, nor can I find what version it is.

Look at the second last post on the page that I've linked of the Team Orion Engines thread (page 119).

See if you can take a look at the internals to see their condition.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

hmm this is my first nitro car so I think ill wait abit before dismantling the engine and having a look inside :P

however the previous owner said the engine was "new" maybe he just meant unused, he said its not even broken in, I cant turn the flywheel a full 360 so ithink he is telling the truth.

Maybe it was just an old engine he had laying around, ill give it a go in a few days and see if it works properly atleast.

thank you for responding
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Perfer
hmm this is my first nitro car so I think ill wait abit before dismantling the engine and having a look inside :P

however the previous owner said the engine was "new" maybe he just meant unused, he said its not even broken in, I cant turn the flywheel a full 360 so ithink he is telling the truth.

Maybe it was just an old engine he had laying around, ill give it a go in a few days and see if it works properly atleast.

thank you for responding
No worries mate

Take the engine out of the car, and remove the exhaust pipe and manifold. Then, try to turn the crankshaft by twisting the flywheel (the silver wheel inside the clutch bell). When you try to turn the crankshaft, does it feel 'bouncy' like it's pushing against you, and then does it get kind of stuck about 1/3 of the way around? If so, then the engine is probably new or very close to new, and means you need to break it in. If it doesn't get stuck but it just feels bouncy, that's a good thing; it's broken in but still has compression.

Either way, it looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal; Team Orion engines have a good reputation on RcTech (I don't have experience with them however).
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Tech Initiate

It does feel bouncy atleast, and it does stick at the top, thank you for all the advice! I think I got a very good deal, I was in the market for either a nitro or electric 1/8 buggy and got a great deal on a mp9 tki3 and a inferno ve race spec so now I have both!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Perfer
It does feel bouncy atleast, and it does stick at the top, thank you for all the advice! I think I got a very good deal, I was in the market for either a nitro or electric 1/8 buggy and got a great deal on a mp9 tki3 and a inferno ve race spec so now I have both!
That's a good sign, it means your engine still has pinch, which means it's quite new, or has been taken care of. If you turn it so that it sticks, and turn it right back the other way until it sticks again, how much of a turn can you do in between sticks? This can give us a ball-park idea of how much mechanical pinch your engine has to determine if it's been broken-in at all. That aside, you need to get yourself to the track and start breaking in your engine regardless of the amount of pinch Just remember to preheat the engine to around 220F (110C) before starting it so that you don't stress the conrod.